Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

rustinglass

This is a great band. Both their music and lyrics are awesome, plus all the band members are cool and intelligent people.

They're my favourite band, I think they deserve their own topic.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sleuth

I actually don't care that much for Ten (which is generally considered their best, right?) but anyway, I like them a lot.
I like to hug dogs

modage

pearl jam and neil young was my first concert when i was 14, january 14th, 1995.  it was on the vitalogy tour.  also, i cant stand listening to ten ever, just like nevermind and core and anything else that has been so fucking overplayed on the radio for the past 10 years.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

rustinglass

I think versus and yield are their best work (all of it is great anyway).

Yeah, mogwai, but thats about bootlegs... anyway I might as well share: I downloaded a cool bootleg: London 2.28.1992 It's kind of the same as the dissident albums but it has this cool dusty bootleg feeling and some very cool and funny interactions with the public. I also downloaded this year's Melbourne bootleg, its good as well.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

aclockworkjj

Quote from: themodernage02pearl jam and neil young was my first concert when i was 14, january 14th, 1995.  it was on the vitalogy tour.  also, i cant stand listening to ten ever, just like nevermind and core and anything else that has been so fucking overplayed on the radio for the past 10 years.

I saw a show on this tour too...I was never a huge fan of them, but after seeing them, I have much more respect.....they put on a hell of a show and till this day probably one of the better concerts I have seen....

modage

i really havent listened to them since yield came out.  but they are a pretty good group. i saw them again at the tibetan freedom concert a few years later in wash dc.  (i think that was the yield tour).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

OmegaSlacker

I'd say VS is probably my favorite PJ album, as it's just as good, or even better than Ten, which as has been said before, is massively overplayed.

I think Vitalogy is severly underrated as besides a few songs such as Rats, or Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me (cool title, bad song), the entire album is gold, especially Better Man, Nothingman and Immortality, which all rank up just as good as anything on Ten.

As for everything after Vitalogy, it's hit and miss. You could probably take the best songs of each of their later releases and put out maybe one, one and a half solid album.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

TheVoiceOfNick

I think Vitalogy is my favorite... but after they did that retarded shit with releasing all those "bootlegs" I lost almost all respect for them.

Nick

rustinglass

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickI think Vitalogy is my favorite... but after they did that retarded shit with releasing all those "bootlegs" I lost almost all respect for them.

Nick

why?, I would get them anyway. This way they get the money instead of some bootlegger with a mini disk. The bootlegs are awesome, by the way.
-Emir Kusturica

aclockworkjj

Quote from: rustinglasswhy?, I would get them anyway. This way they get the money instead of some bootlegger with a mini disk. The bootlegs are awesome, by the way.

Kinda takes away the definition of "bootleg" though, people should not charge nor make money off live music.....hey, at least they tired to tell Ticketmaster to go fuck themselves....too bad it didn't work.

polkablues

Man... I'm the only person who likes "No Code" the best.  "Hail Hail", "Present Tense", "Smile"... great songs.  I think this is the album that best combines their straight-forward punkish side with their experimental rock side.
My house, my rules, my coffee

rustinglass

no code is brilliant! I like in my tree very much, it emphasizes how great a drummer jack irons is. Also, in touring band 2000, there is a feature called matt cameron camera or something, and you can see only the drummer through the entire in my tree. it's excellent.

clockwork:
The bootleg releasing  made possible for a lot of people to hear the concerts they missed, including me, I sadly could not go to Lisbon at the time.
I honestly don't think it was a big  marketing scheme (well of course it was). I heard that they opened the doors of some concerts in europe half-way trough the show, for people who couldn't get tickets. Also, I didn't see any other than the portuguese bootleg for sale around here.

mogwai:
YES, 20 years more!
-Emir Kusturica

NEON MERCURY

Hands down Pearl Jam is my favorite band.  Every single album they have made is quality stuff.  People tend too shrug them of b/c the later albums do not sound like "ten".  They should be given more praise for what they do.

Examples:
1.They never sell-out in trerms of hearing their songs in commercials (unlike Moby)

2. They play straight up "rock n' roll" ...this genre is a dying trend now mainly b/c of limb bizkit ushering the horrid rap metal era which still exist today..Pearl Jam never went to this style even at its peak and tried to experiment w/ rap metal..They play muusic that is true to the once-popular rock n' roll

3.They don't over exspose themselves..they are hardly on the covers of mass media magazines (rollingstone and spin  e.g.)..And when you see them on the cover or find out that hav e done an interview in one...It is like a breath of freash air from all the media hog bands out there..And when they are interviewed only intelligent and insightfull ideas and words come out of their mouths.

4. regardless of what you think about eddie vedder(in terms of politcal beliefs et al)  he  at least speaks out for his feelings and cares for his fans ..here are two reasons for this..4a)he tried his best to fight the whole ticketmaster mogul too keep fans from paying exspensive tickets prices...4b)all of those bootleg shows theykeep releasing are fan mail from the band You don't see korn or others doing that do you?!!!!

5.enough said!

my personel bests:

1. ten-
best song:PORCH(great lyrics and love the way the song builds up after the solo)

2. vs.-
best song-ANIMAL(an all out rocker)

3. vitalogy-
best song-IMMORTALITY(beautiful song....and haunting..the best of the last songs on their albums IMO..on all of their albums the last song is usually a slower paced song and this one is the best)

4. no code-
best song:PRESENT TENSE(once again the  phreak'n lyrics  great stuff.  and the ending jam is funky man)

5.yield
best song:IN HIDING(this song demostrates his range in the vocal department from low to high ...and wwhen he reaches the high notes you are dead if it doesnot give you the chills)

6. binural
best song:NOTHING AS IT SEEMS(the guitar is awesome such a great song it has cool vibe about ..definately should check this out)

7. riot act
best song:YOU ARE(this song has a trippy vibe about very cool stuff the line which he says..."love is a tower ......"   he singing it in such a ghostly maner that hammers down the haunting lements in this song ...highly recommended song-i think it has replaced porch as my sall time favorite!)

So...also i think that PJ got pushed under the rug when nirvana

:roll: rolled into the scene..and EVERYone jumped on the bandwagon leaving Pearl Jam  alone making their own music which..if you compare the two bands PJ beats them out in every way  for example:

a. cobain is not a great singer his voice is not as good as vedders(comepare the song smells like teen spirit to PJ's black)...check one for PJ under vocals

b.the drummer and bass player are not the god either in terms of playing music and don't even think about cobain as a guitar player :roll:  McCready had shades of Jimi and Ament is simply badass and they are even stronger b/c of ex-Soungarden drummer Matt Cameron..the musician talent level is much higher on PJ...check two for musician talent

c.this is the ONLY  level that Nirvana has reached(get it  :lol: )..by that i mean both eddie and cobain write awesome lyrics...check one for nirvana and three for PJ under lyrics.

I am not hating on Nirvana i like them and i feel sorry for the suicide of Cobain :(  it is VERY sad.  I miss him and hearing that un-released song "you know you're right" only makes me feel sadder.  Nirvana is/was a great band..It is just i hated the fact that b/c  of nirvana and the media hype a very underrated pearl jam band were left cold ..and it is not fair (but..life is like that and i can accept it)...the good thing about the fans jumping of pearl jam and flocking to nirvana is that the ones that remain w/Pearl Jam form a stronger bond w/the band and know that the band is not a media whore and just plays great rock'n roll like it has/is/was/needs/will and always be ..If you made a mixed tape/cd of the "best songs"  you will become a fan for life....TURN it UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:the band deserves TWO TOPICS so please don't lock this Thank You

rustinglass

YEAH! That's it, Mercury! Fans for life! Pearl Jam fans unite! make bonds!

(cannot give car)
-Emir Kusturica

OmegaSlacker

I'm sorry, I don't know how to use the quote thing that Xixax has, but someone said:

:2. They play straight up "rock n' roll" ...this genre is a dying trend now mainly b/c of limb bizkit ushering the horrid rap metal era which still exist today..Pearl Jam never went to this style even at its peak and tried to experiment w/ rap metal..They play muusic that is true to the once-popular rock n' roll "

That isn't entirely true. On the Judgement Night soundtrack, Pearl Jam does a song with Cypress Hill called Real Thing that is pretty much rap metal (I'm can't remember if Eddie is on the track, but everyone else in the band is.)
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.