What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

WorldForgot

NORMAL PEOPLE, romance mini-series from earlier this year, a Hulu / BBC co-production, has caught my fancy. I've got a long weekend and sank 4 episodes in a row this morning. Expect it to be finished tomorrow morning.
Some poetry by Sally Rooney:

It Is Monday
QuoteIt is Monday and we are skimming along
over rooftops and through Grand Canal Dock, who knew
the sunshine could be so delicious
they should put a warning on it
I'm having so much fun with glass I could go blind
and at Lansdowne the train is more silent
than a train even should be and at the
next stop we'll pass
the family home where you are sitting
with your unbeknowing parents
and while we soar on past I look into
positively every window in order
to give your mother a signal that I exist:
maybe she sees me, who knows
on a June so blue and loving
we pull away into Booterstown
and time is a long cool tide and two towers
one for each of us and the single sip of a heron
laid flat on the back of June's hand
I will not stop smiling about you
you are the something summer was always meant for
and I wonder how we will love each other
so deliciously in autumn
I am making you a quilt of sky
and seawater in case we need to remember
the places we saw our happiness enlarged
Have I Been Severe?

wilberfan

New 6-part doc on Epix about Manson & Co.  Interesting seeing actual footage of the time and places that QT worked so hard to capture in OUATIH.  (I remember all of it, of course, as I was just about to start my sophomore year at Hollywood High that summer.)  Some of you youngsters might enjoy seeing Quentin's inspiration, if you haven't consumed mass quantities of Manson-lore already.   This new series allegedly debunks some of the myths connected to the events and participants.

https://youtu.be/CUpY0vdfmdg

Drenk

I'm rewatching Succession. The ideal show.
Ascension.

wilberfan

Wilder put this up for a hot second--then took it down, but I took note and took a chance.   On paper this is a show I would ordinarily avoid like a world-wide respiratory virus, but based on his capsule review ("This show is so good"), I decided to take a chance.

Holy crap, I loved this thing!  Not your typical "unscripted" series--no competition, no ugly confrontations--it's very sweet and uplifting in a very gentle, supportive way.

And, as a bonus, I got to crush on Olivia for a few minutes.

I list it here again for benefit of the lurkers who hadn't heard of the show...

https://youtu.be/kX-QbcXyZug

wilberfan

I've never been a gamer, but I'm enjoying this history thereof.

https://youtu.be/B4jopG1wX88

Fernando

^ I'll definitely see that.

I saw Hulu's The Great a few months ago, if you don't get hooked in the first episode its probably not for you.

------------------

I don't know if someone has already mentioned Amazon's The Boys, second season premiers in two weeks, first season was pretty good.

This trailer is from season 1.

wilberfan

I actually enjoyed The Great--particularly Elle Fanning's performance.

wilberfan

Laugh and call me names if you must, but I really like this show.

https://youtu.be/3u7EIiohs6U

SaunchSmilax

Quote from: wilberfan on August 24, 2020, 11:18:31 PM
Laugh and call me names if you must, but I really like this show.

https://youtu.be/3u7EIiohs6U

NO LAUGHING HERE. Ted Lasso is so much fun for football lovers! Have you seen the NBC promos it's based on?

"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

wilberfan

LOL.  Is the series based on that promo?  Or was the promo put together after the series was greenlit?  Both are really clever, I think.

SaunchSmilax

Promo is from way back in 2013 when NBC first got the right to broadcast the Premier League. So...yup...a series based on a sport commercial...
"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

wilberfan

When family outcast Lucky Flynn learns that his mother is dying, he decides to drive to the other side of Australia to see her, packing nothingbut an upright piano for the journey. But his plans are soon turned upside down when he meets the runaway teenager Meg, who's dealing with some family demons of her own. Together they forge an unlikely friendship, as they embark on a road-trip adventure across the Nullarbor Plains in a race against time. Over eight hot days, Lucky and Meg drive, hitch and scam their way across the scorching desert continent –with the upright piano never leaving their side -on a journey that will ultimately make them both feel more at peace with everything in life that they've been kicking against.

Spendid performances all around--especially from young Milly Alcock.

WorldForgot

Search Party - If you haven't caught this comedy, it's a murder mystery that takes itself into thriller territory without sacrificing the comedy that you would expect from producer Michael Showalter  (created by Sarah-Violet Bliss, Charles Rogers, and Michael Showalter), starring Alia Shawkat, John Reynolds, John Early, Meredith Hagner. V binge-able.

The Vow - Mind-spinning doc on the well documented NXIVM cult. An MLM style organization that created insidious behavior patterns and harmful psychology. Bizarre eccentricity, and scary how widespread its centers were for nearly two decades. I dig the more abstract visuals created with liquids and macrophotography throughout. Stresses me out, and

wilberfan

jenkins

Quote from: wilberfan on August 16, 2020, 12:36:41 PM
Wilder put this up for a hot second--then took it down, but I took note and took a chance.   On paper this is a show I would ordinarily avoid like a world-wide respiratory virus, but based on his capsule review ("This show is so good"), I decided to take a chance.

Holy crap, I loved this thing!  Not your typical "unscripted" series--no competition, no ugly confrontations--it's very sweet and uplifting in a very gentle, supportive way.

And, as a bonus, I got to crush on Olivia for a few minutes.

I list it here again for benefit of the lurkers who hadn't heard of the show...

when i'm in a relationship what invariably happens is i'm forced to reckon with both my maleness and my overall um preference for the unusual. so now i'm being coaxed into watching things like the bill maher show and architectural youtube videos, the interests of my significant other, but also we're searching for common ground

as wbf described, this wouldn't normally be the kind of thing we're into, but we got into this. and frankly i learned about myself while watching it, similar to when Mark brought up marriage on his own second date, but when he was in dating class and someone brought up marriage he dropped his jaw and noticed the problem asap. it's like that with me too: it's easier to spot my own problems when i see them in other people. so their exposure of themselves exposed me to myself and we watched all five episodes and i heard somebody complain there isn't a second season yet