Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Stefen

Quote from: bigideas on October 10, 2007, 11:19:18 AM
phil's always there, they just heavily altered his sound.

people think the drums on Morning Bell are electronic for example.

while messing with the eq on an SSL recording desk, you can easily change drums to sound like that. add in gates, limiters, etc.

did you not hear Pyramid Song, Dollars and Cents..... :yabbse-grin: ?

Oh, my bad.

Nerd.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pubrick on October 10, 2007, 10:48:35 AM
QuoteAnyway, my favourite Radiohead album is still Pablo Honey. Get back to your best, boys, and I might be persuaded to give you more than £0.00 next time.

That reminds me of reading somewhere that Bush was interviewed about what kind of music he likes and he said (paraphrasing), "The Beatles.  But the early stuff, not later on when they got weird."

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on October 10, 2007, 11:24:08 AM
Quote from: bigideas on October 10, 2007, 11:19:18 AM
phil's always there, they just heavily altered his sound.

people think the drums on Morning Bell are electronic for example.

while messing with the eq on an SSL recording desk, you can easily change drums to sound like that. add in gates, limiters, etc.

did you not hear Pyramid Song, Dollars and Cents..... :yabbse-grin: ?

Oh, my bad.

Nerd.

i'm not certain, but pretty sure. i think a long time ago in Ed's Diary or in a Thom interview he specifically mentioned messing with the drum sound on Morning Bell - or maybe more loosely in the Kid A sessions. they experimented with that with the Airbag drums - Thom wanted it to sound cut up like DJ Shadow or something. it's been a while since i've read that stuff. i would bet Morning Bell is Phil though. he plays it perfectly live.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

hedwig

i love every single track on this album. it's fucking amazing.

Reckoner is my favorite right now.

god bless this band.

Stefen

Well, DJ Shadow uses percussion better than any live drummer, so you can't hate that. But I really think the percussion on OK Computer was some of the best of the last 10 years. Especially on Airbag, Subteranean HSA, and Electioneering. It's was one of the elements that made OKC an album that not only became one of my all time favorites, but an album that changed my life.

As i've been saying over the years in this very thread, I was turned off by Kid A and didn't come around to it till years later, and I still think Amnesiac is nothing more than the fat from Kid A. I even remember reading that Phil and maybe some other member (Colin or Ed) wanted to go in a more Bends like direction after OKC, but Thom and Jonny wanted to go in a more experimental direction.

I'm happy Phils OLD drumming is back in full swing on In Rainbows.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen on October 10, 2007, 11:43:30 AM
Well, DJ Shadow uses percussion better than any live drummer, so you can't hate that. But I really think the percussion on OK Computer was some of the best of the last 10 years. Especially on Airbag, Subteranean HSA, and Electioneering. It's was one of the elements that made OKC an album that not only became one of my all time favorites, but an album that changed my life.

oh yeah. sleigh bells and glockenspiel showed up in spades in music after this album.
and the choir synth sound. i remember reading Jonny liked Marvin Gaye's What's Goin On.
Mercy Mercy Me has both of these. i've always assumed that odd choral sound at the end was synth. if those are humans they are quite weird.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

last days of gerry the elephant

Jigsaw Falling Into Place

so... fucking... good.

RegularKarate

As much as I wanted to log on here last night while I was first listening to it, I knew my opinion would change after multiple listenings (Kid A started out as a disapointment, then later that same evening was my favorite album ever made).

At first, I got a Sky Blue Sky kind of reaction going, thought it was "okay", but the first big disapointment from the band... on my sixth listen now and I FUCKING LOVE IT!  Totally worth the wait... it makes me want to jump around and cry and sing and fight ghosts. 

Stupid to rank it now, but I DEFINITELY feel it's better than HTTT.

swimming around in nude now.  so great.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RegularKarate on October 10, 2007, 01:36:52 PM
swimming around in nude now.  so great.

Yes, that's my favorite track this hour.

modage

bodysnatchers all the way.  particularly the "lights go out" part.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Bodysnatchers is SO 10:47 this morning.   :yabbse-rolleyes:

bonanzataz

nude was the first standout track for me. i was listening to the album for the first time at 3am last night, lying in bed, falling in and out of sleep, and that track was so haunting and jarring for me, i woke up instantly, finished the album and couldn't fall asleep until 6.

now my favorite is all i need.

i'm using this as temporary album artwork, if anybody wants to take it.

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Stefen

I wonder what the eventual artwork will look like.

HAHA, we still got b-sides to look forward to.

This plan was GENIUS.

your av is fucking hilarious , sparrow.

context, context, context.