We need some more Chuck Palahniuk film adaptations.

Started by Myxo, June 20, 2003, 11:19:27 AM

Sleuth

You're both the same person, but you're only you when she thinks she's asleep
I like to hug dogs

budgie

Quote from: children with angelsSo what do all you big Chuck Palahniuk fans think about Fight Club the movie in relation to Fight Club the book? It's the only one of Chuck's books I've read, and I really liked it, but I think I actually prefered the movie (very unusual for me). Mainly because of the ending: the movie ending is one of my favourite conclusions of anything, bar none - the book's ending to me felt a little flat.

One bit from the novel that I wish they'd had time to put in the film is that amazing part where the narrator has figured out what's going on in his head ( :wink:  put tactfully for the maybe one person in the world who hasn't seen this movie) and  goes into a fight club night and picks a fight with every single guy there, wanting them to beat him to death. That's a really incredible moment, and could've been so powerful on film.

I find it hard to say which I think is 'better' because I saw the movie first so I can't guage the impact of the book so well. But I think they're both great, and that the movie is as good an adaptation of a book as I have ever seen, completely in tune.

As for the endings: the movie is a bit of a sell out to Hollywood formula in a way, and is more upbeat potentially. It follows the usual aim of creating a hetro couple, whereas the book focuses on the redemptive power of connecting with people and opening up generally. I see the ending of the movie as partly ironic and a nod to Hollywood, with that cute romantic pose, but I don't think it's only meant to read that way. And you can go on to follow through to where the book leads, thinking about what would happen to the Narrator from the end of the movie on. I love the ending of the book because it makes the problem explicit while leaving it downbeat, or what you feel is 'flat'. But I'm happy with both, and the movie's ending works for the movie, which has more energy than the book and also has to refer to the whole movie thing to achieve its point.

Quote from: BonBon85
Quote from: budgie
Phil Seymour Hoffman as Tender Branson was my idea a very long time ago. Which only confirms my suspicions about BonBon.

que?

1. This.
2. Guffykins (don't think I haven't noticed).
= budgie wannabe.

But you're not alone, so don't be embarrassed, sugar plum.

Actually, I liked that other explanation.

BonBon85

Quote from: budgie
1. This.
2. Guffykins (don't think I haven't noticed).
= budgie wannabe.

But you're not alone, so don't be embarrassed, sugar plum.

Actually, I liked that other explanation.

Now let's not start anything - a shared passion for chuck does not make me a wannabe and considering we're both fans of PTA PSH is bound to come to mind. And Mac's just a friend. Besides, I'm lacking in the British wit department.

I like Tremo's explanation best, too

budgie

Quote from: BonBon85
Now let's not start anything - a shared passion for chuck does not make me a wannabe and considering we're both fans of PTA PSH is bound to come to mind.

What's wrong with being a wannabe? Anyone who says they're not one is lying.

Quote from: BonBon85And Mac's just a friend.

Hell, if I didn't know better I'd think you were related!

Quote from: BonBon85Besides, I'm lacking in the British wit department.

Don't be sad, it is the lowest form (after sarcasm).

markums2k

I read/heard somewhere that Survivor was in the works, but now its stuck on the back-burner since the whole nine-eleven thing.

Which is silly, because the plane crash/hi-jacking really isn't a main deal in the book.  Maybe it's not true.  Anyways, I'm satisfied just reading the stories.  The movies hardly ever get it right.

I liked Fight Club the movie better than the book, but the movie could have NEVER existed BEFORE the book.  Since Palahniuk has said that Fight Club was just very very loose in terms of editting and structure, I think the movie is better simply because it has more focus.  I mean, besides all the actors being wonderful.

And anybody who thinks Palahniuk's novels aren't improving with each project is just dead wrong.  Period.   :x  Lullaby was amazing.  The way he stomps the little houses.  The Judas Cow.  Or, remember when he was telling the story about his wife, the last morning they had together...  :shock:  The way he describes the whole thing.  It just drives it home.

Looking forward to the scary one where HE READS IT TO YOU.  Straight to book-on-tape, I guess.  Isn't that just too cool?

Sleuth

I remember the Survivor script was being written by Gwyneth Paltrow's brother Jake
I like to hug dogs

ono

I'm hesitant to start a new thread because there are already a few on Chuck Palahniuk floating around, but I saw his new book, "Diary," in a bookstore a couple days ago, so I snatched it up.  Haven't started reading it yet or anything, but I just thought I'd mention it to anyone who was interested.  It surprised me because it's barely been a year since "Lullaby" first came out.

I'll try to get going on reading it in the next few days, though I can't really be sure when I'll be done considering a lot of other reading I have to do.

Sleuth

You forgot Fugitives and Refugees which came out after Lullaby
I like to hug dogs

ono

MacGuffin

Invisible Monsters: Principal photography starts in November on the Chuck Palahniuk book film adaptation.

MacGuffin's note - From what I could find, this is who is at the helm (cerca Nov. 15, 2001):

Author Chuck Palahniuk, whose cult favorite Fight Club became the basis for the 1999 Brad Pitt movie of the same name, has sold the film rights to his novel Invisible Monsters to director Jesse Peyronel and his Bounder production company for a deal that could net him six figures should the picture get made, Variety reports.

Invisible Monsters, a tale of a pre-op transsexual and a disfigured fashion model who go on a revenge-filled but healing road trip, was written before Fight Club, but was published three years after.

Peyronel, who plans to write the script, may mark his feature directorial debut with the project after gaining attention for his short film "Swimming Out to Holly," a finalist in this year's Hypnotic Million Dollar Film Festival that Showtime picked up.

Other Palahniuk adaptations in the works are Survivor at Fox 2000 and Choke at Bandeira Entertainment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

Invisible Monsters is going to be very difficult to pull off, I think.
Not least because of the casting of Brandy Alexander.

Does anyone want to talk about Diary now?

Sleuth

I think I rank Diary #2 now in my revised list.  I went by the official forums and there's a few people who didn't understand the ending.  I don't consider myself a brilliant genius or anything, but that wasn't exactly a puzzle...
I like to hug dogs

budgie

I have to say I was dubious about the ending. It's the right ending, but I don't feel he pulled it off. It feels a little clumsy. It makes the jumpy narration more interesting though. Now I wonder whether there's an implied edit going on, because otherwise Misty's character is pretty inconsistent.

I just read a few reviews, but haven't looked at the forum chat yet. I think you probably either get it or you don't, although I have to say that I can see how you could not get it and how you could. I'm quite interested in Chuck's intentions now, and might grill him (if he's lucky) when I go to meet him at his reading in London (very excited).

I have to say, I think it's my least favourite. Something about the art school context didn't work for me, amongst other things. But he's thinking about stuff that I currently am, so that was fun.

budgie

This is linked from AICN on CP.Net:

Hey Harry,

I was at the Chuck Palahniuk reading last in Los Angeles. He read his short story "Guts" and it was amazing. The story is so hardcore that it has made 18 people ( I think) pass out on his west coast leg of the tour. 2 people passed out last night, I was in awe.

So afterwards during the question and answer session, someone asked Chuck about where Survivor the movie stood. He said its been stalled, but he's been discussing a project with Spike Jonze and it is something very dark. If those two collaborated on something it would be amazing. Someone make this shit happen! In the meantime I'll just whack off until Kill Bill opens next month. If anyone else hears anything about the Palahniuk/Jonze collaboration, let all of us know. Ask Chuck about it at future readings, if you are not passed out or puking.  

JD

Pubrick

Quote from: budgieThis is linked from AICN on CP.Net:

Hey Harry,

I was at the Chuck Palahniuk reading last in Los Angeles. He read his short story "Guts" and it was amazing. The story is so hardcore that it has made 18 people ( I think) pass out on his west coast leg of the tour. 2 people passed out last night, I was in awe.

So afterwards during the question and answer session, someone asked Chuck about where Survivor the movie stood. He said its been stalled, but he's been discussing a project with Spike Jonze and it is something very dark. If those two collaborated on something it would be amazing. Someone make this shit happen! In the meantime I'll just whack off until Kill Bill opens next month. If anyone else hears anything about the Palahniuk/Jonze collaboration, let all of us know. Ask Chuck about it at future readings, if you are not passed out or puking.  

JD

it's so cute when u do a MaNc's job..
under the paving stones.