ED WOOD DVD

Started by Alexandro, October 11, 2003, 12:13:58 PM

Alexandro

When the fuck are they gonna release this on DVD??? Region 1...or 4...

what are they waiting for???
shit...

modage

region one was on dvd, but is now out of print. the re-release has been delayed.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Are you sure? I remember a bare-bones disc was scheduled for last summer, and then they decided to add more to it so it got pushed to early '03....and then nothing.

MacGuffin

Yeah, I challenge that info mod-age. I don't believe "Ed Wood" was ever released on DVD (region 1). I would have owned it.

It has, however been released on Region 2:

When Ed Wood was finally announced for release on DVD, it looked most likely to be bare-bones al the way. But rumor has it that Tim Burton stepped in himself to ensure that his richest, most personal film would get the treatment it deserved for its long-awaited DVD premiere. And fortunately, Buena Vista truly went the distance on this one, producing a wide range of formidable supplements.

The audio commentary starts off in just the right spirit, with a short introduction from Martin Landau, speaking in-character as Bela Lugosi, with whose voice he continues to pop up throughout the track, identifying the various speakers wherever necessary. It adds a fittingly droll touch as well as being helpful. The main speakers besides Landau (who also adds some comments in his 'own voice') include director Tim Burton, screenwriters Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski, and costume designer Colleen Atwood. Together, they cover an enormous amount of ground, with terrific editing yielding many screen-specific comments as well as informative and highly entertaining anecdotes about the production history and the screenplay development (Alexander and Karaszewski are the real standouts here). A well-produced and immensely lively track that's sure to please any fan of the film.

The rest of the extras are made up of a large selection of featurettes covering quite a number of different subjects. 'Let's Shoot This $#@%!' is a highly eccentric behind-the-scenes look shot while the film was being produced. Johnny Depp acts as a kind of deranged host, more or less in-character as Ed Wood and dressed in the bizarre outfit he wears during the wrap party sequence for Bride of the Monster. The 15-minute item includes quite abit of footage, both in color and in black-and-white, of Burton working with cast and crew on the set. The other three featurettes were all produced especially for this DVD release. Each takes a good look at one specific aspect of the film's production. Pie Plates over Hollywood is the most elaborate, with a running time of just over 15 minutes, focusing on the challenges of shooting in black-and-white, working with miniatures, and the specifics of recreating the uniue look of Ed Wood's movies. Cinematographer Stephan Czapsky is on hand for comprehensive elaborations on all of these topics. The Theremin runs about ten minutes, and features new interview footage with composer Howard Shore, who discusses his work on the score in great detail, and demonstrates the theremin, an early electronic musical instrument that is played by waving one's hands around in the invisible magnetic field above the theremin itself. Its sound is typical of Hollywood-produced science-fiction movies of the 1950s, and it plays a key role in the film's excellent, varied score. Recreating Bela Lugosi is a short featurette with Martin Landau and Rick Baker, in which the make-up process that helped Landau win his Best Supporting Actor Oscar is revealed. When Carol Met Larry has nothing to do with the actual production of Ed Wood, but offers some relevant interview footage with a cross-dressing couple. Finally, the theatrical trailer rounds out these excellent extras.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: GhostboyAre you sure? I remember a bare-bones disc was scheduled for last summer, and then they decided to add more to it so it got pushed to early '03....and then nothing.

no maybe you're right.  i could be wrong.  i thought there was a bare-bones edition that atleast went to video stores when it came out but really wasnt sell-thru.  but i could be wrong about that.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

Yet another disc that would make a region 2 player totally worthwhile. Why the HELL hasn't that been released stateside?

Find Your Magali

Ghostboy

Thank you Jesus. Let's just hope they stick to it this time!

SoNowThen

SWEET!!!!!

I always think about when SJP reads that review about her having a horse face. Cracks me up like you wouldn't believe...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: GhostboyThank you Jesus. Let's just hope they stick to it this time!

I heard there were some problems with certain rights of something or other... I heard this at some panel discussion sometime last year... I'm used to waiting for the best stuff to come out... we all remember what happened with the Back to the Future box set... (if you don't know, it changed release dates like 9 times because of certain Eric Stoltz footage and other mishaps)...

Ravi

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/daily_news.html

Buena Vista Home Entertainment has at long last announced Tim Burton's masterpiece Ed Wood. Johnny Depp stars as the high-spirited movieman who refuses to let unfinished scenes, terrible reviews, and hostile studio executives derail his big-screen dreams. The long-awaited DVD arrives with a new anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Bonus features include an audio commentary (with director Tim Burton, actor Martin Landau, screenwriters Scott Alexander & Larry Karazewski, costume designer Colleen Atwood, and cinematographer Stefan Czapsky), deleted scenes, "Let's Shoot This F#*%@r!" behind-the-scenes documentary, the featurettes "The Theremin," "Making Bela" (a look at Rick Baker's amazing prosthetic work), "Pie Plates Over Hollywood" (realizing the offbeat and stunning visuals with production designer Tom Duffield), "When Carol Met Larry" (meet real-life cross-dressers and hear their take on the infamous filmmaker), an original music video co-directed by Burton and choreographer Toni Basil, and the original theatrical trailer. Look for Ed Wood: DVD Director's Cut on February 3rd 2004 with a retail of $29.99.

SoNowThen

I think I speak officially for all of us when I say Kick Fucking Ass!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

yeah i just watched about 20 minutes of this the other day on cable and i havent seen it since it came out on video (and didnt know much about ed wood), and it seems frickin hilarious.  i cant wait to watch it again.

godardian

This is my favorite film by Burton (who I've always found rather more ordinary than his fans seem to), so I am looking forward to it.

The first time I really took Bill Murray seriously...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

Yah, same here (again). I saw Razor's Edge afterwards, but I enjoy Murray more in Ed Wood. I think it's one of the few great movies that should go right up there with Fargo, Pulp Fiction, etc. as one of the 90's best movies. A true masterpiece and I'd love to see Burton make a better picture. I don't think he can, but I don't mind if he doesn't... Can't WAIT for the DVD.