Johnny Depp is the best pirate ever.

Started by Ghostboy, July 09, 2003, 01:34:57 AM

Ghostboy

Just got back from Pirates Of The Carribean. It was a decently fun movie, but man, Johnny Depp was SO great. Not that he's ever not great, but when I first heard he was doing a Bruckheimer movie, I was a little wary. But his performance is up there with his best, it's just so wild and goofy. His eyes are almost acrobatic in their expressiveness.  I also think he improvised a lot of the lines...soem of them just seem so abritrary. Especially the second to last line he has in the movie. It cracked me up.

Aside from his performance, the movie is notable primarily for the excellent effects, the overall jolly nature, and the absolutely exquisite Kiera Knightley.  I'm in love again.

Gore Verbinski is turning out to be a really terrific mainstream director, I think.

Pubrick

Quote from: GhostboyGore Verbinski is turning out to be a really terrific mainstream director, I think.
i prefer the term Popular Film director. like pop music.

i saw depp on letterman before he died and he was very entertaining, the clip they showed i thought was like "well, maybe he's got bills to pay". but i wasn't aware verbinski was behind it. i wasn't planning to see it but now i reckon so. i'm glad to see johnny boy is still gettin it done.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

You just got me excited about seeing this film.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Sal

Johnny is the fucking man.  He steals every scene in Pirates.  I loved it.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Ghostboysome of them just seem so abritrary. Especially the second to last line he has in the movie.

So he doesn't die in the end? :(... thanks for ruining it for me! DOH!

Nick

Fishbulb

I saw it Monday night and Depp was definitely the best thing about the film. I may be dreaming this, but it seemed like he was doing a Keith Richards imitation the entire movie. The hair, the outfit, the drunken mumbly voice...it just seemed like Keith to me. If he was doing that intentionally, I think it's funny that he'd do something random like that in a big budget studio film.

Depp is great in almost every role he does. He is different from role to role, his Ed Wood was nothing like his Edward Scissorhands, which was nothing like Hunter Thompson in Fear and Loathing or his Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow. He's definitely not an actor who coasts on doing one particular "thing" over and over.

The movie wasn't bad, it was actually very well directed for a summer action movie. For the first hour or so it was very enjoyable, but then it dragged on for over two hours and it started to get a little tired by the end.  Keira Knightley is the love child of Winona Ryder and Natalie Portman, if such a thing were biologically possible (and I'd want to watch if it was).

Duck Sauce

I really need to see this now, I like the ride and the movie must not suck too bad, plus it has a pretty strong cast. Could be fun.... Depp is almost always great (sans 9th Gate or whatever), it is interesting how shy and lowkey he seems to be in real life and how he breaks out of the shell for movies where he plays these interesting characters that are full of life.

P.S. Hows the Viper Room?

jokerspath

I was not remotely interested in this before, but y'all have peaked my interests a bit.  Might have to make it the tailend of a matinee double feature...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

Pubrick

wow, this is word of mouf like i never seen.

under the paving stones.

jokerspath

Quote from: Pwow, this is word of mouf like i never seen.

Well, Johnny Depp is always a plus.  And the comments helped.  But I am interested mostly to see what Gore Verbinski can do with it.  Will he possibly top Mouse Hunt?

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

dufresne

Quote from: FishbulbI may be dreaming this, but it seemed like he was doing a Keith Richards imitation the entire movie. The hair, the outfit, the drunken mumbly voice...it just seemed like Keith to me. If he was doing that intentionally, I think it's funny that he'd do something random like that in a big budget studio film.

he has admittedly said that he imitated Keith Richards because he thinks that Pirates were the rock n roll stars of their day.
There are shadows in life, baby.

SoNowThen

Quote from: FishbulbI saw it Monday night and Depp was definitely the best thing about the film. I may be dreaming this, but it seemed like he was doing a Keith Richards imitation the entire movie. The hair, the outfit, the drunken mumbly voice...it just seemed like Keith to me. If he was doing that intentionally, I think it's funny that he'd do something random like that in a big budget studio film.

Depp is great in almost every role he does. He is different from role to role, his Ed Wood was nothing like his Edward Scissorhands, which was nothing like Hunter Thompson in Fear and Loathing or his Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow. He's definitely not an actor who coasts on doing one particular "thing" over and over.

The movie wasn't bad, it was actually very well directed for a summer action movie. For the first hour or so it was very enjoyable, but then it dragged on for over two hours and it started to get a little tired by the end.  Keira Knightley is the love child of Winona Ryder and Natalie Portman, if such a thing were biologically possible (and I'd want to watch if it was).

Yeah, the article in my paper this morning said he got his speech patterns from Keith. That makes me respect the man even more, if that was possible.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

A better pirate than Dustin Hoffman in Hook!?!?

WHAT!?!?!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pozer

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNick
Quote from: Ghostboysome of them just seem so abritrary. Especially the second to last line he has in the movie.

So he doesn't die in the end? :(... thanks for ruining it for me! DOH!

Nick

How does this ruin it? He said, "second to last line he has in the movie" not "at the end."

modage

yeah, i have to agree.  i loved this movie.  johnny depp is so fucking funny, i couldnt believe it.  gore verbinski certainly has the ability to handle multiple genres with MOUSE HUNT, THE MEXICAN, THE RING, and now this one.  did anybody else get a little gleam of excitement towards the end when orlando and johnny were fighting side by side?  SEQUEL! (fingers crossed).  umm.  the story was really intersting.  its good that they didnt go the pg route and made it pg13 and kept it good for kids and adults.  it did seem to go on a little long (at 2 hours and 15 minutes or so), but more a factor of where i was expecting it to end, than boredom or anything else.  there have not been too many good pirate movies as of late, and i would have to say this is one of them.  one of my favorite movies this summer for sure.

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobA better pirate than Dustin Hoffman in Hook!?!?

WHAT!?!?!

yep.  see for yourself.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.