TRAINING DAY

Started by cowboykurtis, May 12, 2003, 12:29:54 PM

cowboykurtis

any one else like this film? i thought it was great -- especially first 2 acts -- the 3rd act kind of fell into a humdrum action film -- however it was an intersing turn in the "buddy cop genre".  i just love the early scenes with denzel and ethan driving around and talking...wonderful...havent seen any of fuqua's other films -- tears of the sun looked awful... anyway i think hes a really good director with the right material....
...your excuses are your own...

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

one of the best movies i have seen in the past few years, and top notch acting all around

And i hate ethan hawke but he was great in the movie, a good mix all around, and i know it was helped by that fact that the directer knows this world in and out and he brought to the film honesty .

MacGuffin

Quote from: cowboykurtisany one else like this film? i thought it was great -- especially first 2 acts -- the 3rd act kind of fell into a humdrum action film -- however it was an intersing turn in the "buddy cop genre".  i just love the early scenes with denzel and ethan driving around and talking...wonderful...havent seen any of fuqua's other films -- tears of the sun looked awful... anyway i think hes a really good director with the right material....

Yeah, the third act was way too farfetched. What a coincidence of all the gang members, it had to be uncle to the girl that Ethan's char. rescued. And Ethan's char. would've smarter to just hand over his gun. But like you said, the first two acts are great. Was so happy Ethan received an Oscar nomination cause I thought he was perfect.

Quote from: cowboykurtishavent seen any of fuqua's other films -- tears of the sun looked awful... anyway i think hes a really good director with the right material....

I was surprised how much I enjoyed Tears Of The Sun, it was marketed as another Black Hawk Down, but it didn't look that good from the trailer. But I found myself engaged in the story and cried at the end. Replacement Killers, however, is a very poor John Woo wannabe rip-off. I'll say he's getting better with each film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

xerxes

like many others, i had some problems with the 3rd act... but mr. washington's performance is one of the best i have seen

ever!

dufresne

Quote from: cowboykurtishowever it was an intersing turn in the "buddy cop genre".

...but they weren't buddies.

:wink:
There are shadows in life, baby.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: dufresne
Quote from: cowboykurtishowever it was an intersing turn in the "buddy cop genre".

...but they weren't buddies.

:wink:

exactly -- hence the "interesting turn" in the genre...
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I thought the ending was so bad that it has negatively affected my opinion of the entire film. But now that I think about it...it's got a lot of good stuff in it.

Tears Of The Sun wasn't that bad at all. Nor was it anything really special. What I'm really interested in is King Arthur...

Victor

in every review i read, it always noted how great denzel was in the 'bad guy' role. so right then you knew he was the bad guy, instead of finding out gradually through watching, like you were supposed to. but the thing is, denzel is so damn good, you truly forget that he's the classic 'bad guy', and just think, well, he's got his reasons. youre very much like ehtan's character, always one step behind, ready to leave, but then denzel gets you right back.

and the third act, while definitely having its problems, most notably ethan jumping from the roof onto the hood of denzels car and then denzel being the one who gets hurt, still. Cliff Curtis is the man, without question. Put him in the Macy Gray role and he'd STILL be awesome. And Denzel and Ethans final dialouge scene in front of everyone is absolutely fantastic. I could certainly do without all the action but its worth sitting thorugh just to see that.

What's with all the Ethan bashing? A lot of people just dont like this guy, for some reason. Ive liked him in a lot of roles. Could someone explain this phenomenon to me?
are you gonna eat with us too?

phil marlowe

i dont know why, and its actually rather sad, but denzel washington annoys the hell outta me. its not like he tends to be over the top or anything, he just gets me. he gets me in the worst way, and it ruins every cinematic experience for me.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Lester

What's with all the Ethan bashing? A lot of people just dont like this guy, for some reason. Ive liked him in a lot of roles. Could someone explain this phenomenon to me?

to answer your question, and well to put your Existence in some perspective.

it's simple really , its because your a pretenious twit .

Sleuth

Quote from: A perfectly Good whiteBoy

You're

Anyway, this movie was surprisingly good despite everything that was mentioned about the last act
I like to hug dogs

Victor

Quote from: some prick

to answer your question, and well to put your Existence in some perspective.

got a problem, bitterscotch? take it to pm, quit spreading your bile.
are you gonna eat with us too?

Alethia

didn't like the third act, loved the rest, despise ethan hawke becuz he has uma thurman.  love her.......

Pedro

Absolutely love Training Day.  Saw it when it came out and I now own it.  One of my top films for 2001.  I've still yet to find the major problems with the 3rd act, but that's all right.

chainsmoking insomniac

Quote from: Pedro the WombatAbsolutely love Training Day.  Saw it when it came out and I now own it.  One of my top films for 2001.  I've still yet to find the major problems with the 3rd act, but that's all right.

Pedro, you the MAN! This film is nearly flawless.  I saw nothing wrong with the 3rd act....and the car dialogue is fucking GREAT!
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls