the life of david gale?

Started by tpfkabi, February 05, 2003, 11:32:53 PM

Recce

Quote from: bonanzatazJust wait a few more years. They'll die.

suppose that's true, but what if the style catches? WHAT IF IT CATCHES!!!
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

KingBlackDeath

if only it applied to just geezers. The majority of young people are worse
than that. Just imagine how high the "geezer factor" quotient is going to be 30 years from now.
I do agree with you though. Geezers bite it hard.
Do you see what happens...when king black death breathes on you with his breath?

Recce

Yeah, they do, but the old geizer factor doesn't really apply to their taste. It's more those parts of films that are carefully explained with cheezy flashback sequences so that they can be hammered into their heads. You can bet your ass, though, that if its not there, most old geezers won't like it. Like in sixth sense. They had the original version, which explained the surpirse ending pretty well, but then they had another version, more redundant, to make sure everyone got it. Old geezer factor, right there. Its an interesting sociological observation is all.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I may have done something very bad. Although I hated the movie for its ending, I can't help feeling guilty about this. I reviewed the movie for my college newspaper, and the day the paper was printed, my editor got this email and sent it to me:

The next time you print an article reviewing a movie,  DO NOT LET IT GIVE THE ENTIRE MOVIE AWAY.  For those of us who wanted to see The Life of David Gale........it is too late.  I had already seen the movie, but luckily i caught it before my friend read it who has been dying to see it.   The audience doesn't find out the surprise until the last three minutes of the movie.  Fine, the writer didn't like the movie, but how dare he rob anyone else of the surprise of the movie. Please, please take more care of this issue in the future. Atleast put in a spoiler alert. Thank you.

Okay. Here's what I actually wrote: "Anyone who wants to preserve any kind of positive image of this movie should stop reading now." Next paragraph. "The reporter was set up. The whole thing was a scam. (etc. etc)"

So is that technically spoling without a spoiler warning? Was my warning good enough? I don't know, I think it was a little subversive. Now I think everyone's going to be pissed off at me.  :yabbse-embarassed:

Ghostboy

You didn't do anything wrong. That was warning enough, especially since you started a new paragraph right after it. The reader must not have been paying close attention.

I've been called to task for this same thing from time to time -- however, I've actually been guilty of it. It also reminds me of the Entertainment Weekly review of another Spacey crap-fest, Pay It Forward. The reviewer hated it so much that she gave away the entire movie, just to spite the filmmakers. I thought that was pretty funny, especially since Pay It Forward was so awful.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSo is that technically spoling without a spoiler warning? Was my warning good enough? I don't know, I think it was a little subversive. Now I think everyone's going to be pissed off at me.  :yabbse-embarassed:
i personally just ignored the spoiler warning cos i don't care about the movie.. but it's my understanding that critics should generally abstain from spoiling the damn movie especially if the film thinks the twist is important.* i think ebert gave a warning recently about another movie BUT it was something like 'if ur reading up to this point, u should go see this movie and come back cos i wanna talk about what happens'. not "this is what happens and it's not worth seeing cos i just told u the big payoff." no matter how much u hate it.

*eg. The Crying Game. i don't know how ppl got around the dick when reviewing that movie but i'm sure u woulda said as ur opening line: HEY EVERYBODY THE BLACK CHICK IS A GUY! anyway, back to ur dealy, u really coulda talked about it without giving away the ending. but hey, call me decent.

yeah i hate spoilers.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

The more I think about it, there more subversive I think it actually was. In my frustration after seeing the movie, I think I wanted to do anything I could to prevent other people from seeing it.

Pedro

P...I haven't seen that movie, damn it...any good even if I know this?

bonanzataz

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThe more I think about it, there more subversive I think it actually was. In my frustration after seeing the movie, I think I wanted to do anything I could to prevent other people from seeing it.

is it really THAT bad? I wanted to see it out of curiosity. I don't even know what it's about but I guess the ad campaign got it as much attention as it was going to get (you know, the whole SURPRISE ENDING thing they tried to pull).
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Cecil

Quote from: bonanzataz
is it really THAT bad?

oh yes, even more

Pubrick

Quote from: Pedro the WombatP...I haven't seen that movie, damn it...any good even if I know this?
the Crying Game? oh yeah, what i revealed happens round the middle anyway, it's still good.
under the paving stones.