The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Fernando

Quote from: Alexandro on April 28, 2010, 04:10:09 PM
I want to organize soon a 2001 showing in the medium sized screen of the store where I work at...blu ray, it will look and sound awesome. You are invited if you like...that's the best you will find in this country regarding watching 2001 on the big screen.

great! please let know and ill go for sure.

although its from last year, im holding my viewing of where the wild things are for the same reason, im hoping it gets here eventually.

edit: 5 pages in a few hours!!! now days only a new pta film does that.

Pubrick

everyone, everyone.. i just remembered something.

something i've tried to ignore for a really long time but i think now is the time to face up..

i've never seen Bambi.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

The most useless criticism ever against Godard is that he is boring. Jesus, even I am not a huge fan of his and yet his filmmaking methods are essential to understand and appreciate.

Anyone who has never seen Casablanca, you're not missing much. It's a classic of public endearment only.

At first I thought this thread was a decent idea because it may humble all of us, but it's just showing our conceit in other ways.

socketlevel

i'm usually bored by intent (ie inland empire) over pacing (ie contempt). contempt is fucking awesome. i love what it says and how it says it. it's a cry for masculinity in europe and emasculation in america.

i don't see too much conceit.
the one last hit that spent you...

children with angels

I am genuinely ashamed to say that I have not seen any films by the following directors: Kenneth Anger, Rainer Werner Fassbinder, Derek Jarman, Abbas Kiarostami, Kenji Mizoguchi, Mikio Naruse, or Wong Kar Wai.

Edit: Anyone who hasn't seen Casablanca please do so - it's a beautiful movie, not because of its direction, but because of its screenplay and performances, which are virtually faultless. I agree with Victor Perkins: "It is no mean praise to say that Casablanca was as good as its script and cast."
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

New Feeling

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 04:16:46 PM
Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 04:12:00 PM
sorry I'm not a joker just a sincere guy.  And no I don't see the joke in Captain telling me to keep walking or you comedically suggesting that I was losing my shit.  I'm just talking here.  

Well see it's your sincerity that's offensive.  You really think people should feel shame, but that isn't actually the purpose of the thread.

Seriously, where did I ever suggest that people should feel shame at anything?  It seems like you're trying to make me feel shame a hell of a lot more that I've tried to make anyone else.  I've encouraged people to check out the awesome movies that they mentioned, acted like every movie in this thread is probably worth seeing, and continued to express that I think the only thing anyone should be remotely ashamed about with regard to this thread is being presumptuous wrt assuming things about beloved movies they have't seen.  Am I missing something?

And by the way Star Wars is amazing and just as fundamental as anything in cinema at this point.  

edit: 200 posts motherfuckers!  Only took 7 years

Alexandro

Yes well, boredom is relative and it's not a valid criticism of anything, yet it may be there. Godard is a filmmaker I can admire and understand his importance and the importance of his work. Yet the films by themselves bore me. His supposed playfulness as a filmmaker, bending and breaking conventions, his sense of humor, his bourgeois self deprecation just really cause me to feel like punching the guy in the face. I wasn't aiming at some valid criticism of godard because any like or dislike I have towards his movies is beyond an act of criticism.

Fernando

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on April 28, 2010, 04:21:09 PM
The most useless criticism ever against Godard is that he is boring. Jesus, even I am not a huge fan of his and yet his filmmaking methods are essential to understand and appreciate.

edit: don't know if you're talking about what I said but here it goes.

come on its a fun thread, it's harmless if I take a little jab to godard to call him boredard, I obviously mention him because he's an important filmmaker, no way in a serious discussion I would try to belittle his work by just saying it's boring, in fact i'd never dare to do so because I haven't seen his films. I'm grateful that falcon recommended those godard titles and will try to check them out.

anyway, this fun thread is about:

pas being shineless
p never been into the white house
me living in the 20th century
cbrad being far far away of his mind
macguffin haven't seen the matrix this week

Alexandro

Quote from: P on April 28, 2010, 04:20:27 PM
everyone, everyone.. i just remembered something.

something i've tried to ignore for a really long time but i think now is the time to face up..

i've never seen Bambi.

Bambi is great but the one form that era that really holds up incredibly is Dumbo.

ono

Quote from: Fernando on April 28, 2010, 03:52:59 PM
I'm going to beat all of you.

I've never seen in its entirety 2001: ASO. part yeah but never the complete film, why you ask? I refuse to see it on the small screen, I want to see it on the big screen.
Similar to me.  I checked out 2001 on VHS several years ago.  Tried watching it while doing some calculus homework.  Not too bright.  Turned it off about halfway through, been waiting to revisit it on Blu Ray on a decent screen.

Haven't seen Jaws, or LotR: Return of the King (first two sucked, so why bother).
I think that's why I haven't seen Episode VI -- IV and V were so BORING.

From the 2004 Dekapenticon: Vertigo, Seven Samurai, 400 Blows. (I have seen Rope, Ran, and a couple other keys from each Hitchcock and Kurosawa, but I haven't seen ANY Truffaut).

Looking at IMDb top 250, haven't seen: Good/Bad/Ugly, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Dark Knight, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Once Upon a Time in the West.  I'm sure Sight and Sound or some other prestige list is a better barometer.  My world view won't be chanced by Batman's latest adventure.  Still, one day I'd like to be able to say I've seen the majority of 'em.

I've never seen any Jarmusch Cassavettes except for Killing of a Chinese Bookie (part of it) when it was sent to me incorrectly by Netflix.  I often get Jarmusch and Cassavettes confused.  I don't think I've seen any Cassavettes either.  I just finished reading Spike Mike Reloaded.  Been trying to see a lot of first films.  Strangers in Paradise is on that list.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 04:30:50 PM
Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 28, 2010, 04:16:46 PM
Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 04:12:00 PM
sorry I'm not a joker just a sincere guy.  And no I don't see the joke in Captain telling me to keep walking or you comedically suggesting that I was losing my shit.  I'm just talking here.  

Well see it's your sincerity that's offensive.  You really think people should feel shame, but that isn't actually the purpose of the thread.

Seriously, where did I ever suggest that people should feel shame at anything?  It seems like you're trying to make me feel shame a hell of a lot more that I've tried to make anyone else.  I've encouraged people to check out the awesome movies that they mentioned, acted like every movie in this thread is probably worth seeing, and continued to express that I think the only thing anyone should be remotely ashamed about with regard to this thread is being presumptuous wrt assuming things about beloved movies they have't seen.  Am I missing something?

Quote from: New Feeling on April 28, 2010, 02:16:27 PM
Quote from: Stefen on April 28, 2010, 01:44:40 PM
How necessary do you think watching all these supposed great movies really is? I mean, even if we haven't seen them, we still know of them, know what they're about, know who did them, usually know how they end.

I think we had this conversation somewhere before in regards to Rocky. I've never seen Rocky, but do I really need to see it? I know everything about it. Who made it, who stars, what it's about, the climax, etc.

this is idiotic.  You don't know shit about Rocky until you've seen it.  And that goes for an any movie.  Rocky is great by the way.  You will dig it.  Also P just watch Casablaca for fuck sake it's amazing.  And Pas if you don't love Pulp Fiction I will eat my shoe.  I've seen pretty much all the legit american "classics" and have rarely regretted it. The only really obvious movies I can think of that I still have't seen are Slumdog an Return of the King. There are a bunch of foreign films I still need to catch up with like Tokyo Story, Ordet, Ugetsu, Apu Trilogy,but I don't think I have any real deal embarrassments like y'all are throwing around.

Right there.  I mean that's the basis for this conversation.  I took exception to your exclusion of yourself from the principles of this thread ("I don't think I have any real deal embarrassments like y'all") based on an American centric point of view, that's all.  You don't need to feel shame.  I'm not trying to shame you.  It's simply that those films count too, and others have mentioned and continue to mention foreign films.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: ono on April 28, 2010, 04:40:01 PM

I've never seen any Jarmusch Cassavettes except for Killing of a Chinese Bookie (part of it) when it was sent to me incorrectly by Netflix.  I often get Jarmusch and Cassavettes confused.  I don't think I've seen any Cassavettes either.

Cutie.

Pozer

with this:

Quote from: Fernando on April 28, 2010, 03:52:59 PM
breathless

i did this:

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 28, 2010, 01:40:18 PM
In the middle I said to my gf: wanna watch TV instead and she replied: ''hell god yeahs.''

so mine is Godard movies for now i guess, even though i'm not embarrassed about it (in real life). ten years from now Antichrist will be on my list.

but Pasers, seriously get off xixaxixaxsx, :hammer: yourself and go double feature Shining Nights.

btw, sure wish The Master and Tree of Life threads could move as fast as this one (with valid info/posts of course)

Ostrich Riding Cowboy

Whenever TCM has Raging Bull on, it's always at 2:00 AM. I don't want my first time to be barely conscious or chemically enhanced.  I was the lamest college student, ever.
DIDI: I missed you . . . and at the same time I was happy. Isn't that a strange thing?

New Feeling

yes it's clear from that quote that I was attempting to shame the members of this board.  

for the record I was just using the term embarrassment as I thought we were using it in this thread.  It was not intended as any kind of judgement.  I think that was pretty clear.  And it has nothing to do with their foreign nature I just think they are fairly underseen outside of academic film nerd circles, which I don't really consider this conversation to be about.  If I hadn't seen Breathless or Jules et Jim or Seven Samurai or 8 1/2 or a number of other generally well known foreign films I would've mentioned them but I think those movies I mentioned are basically only known by the most dedicated cineastes.  Whereas everyone here knows all about virtually all of the other movies that we've discussed in this context.  When someone says they haven't seen Star Wars it's news, when someone says they haven't seen Ugetsu it's expected, I'm sure you can understand this.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Ok I'm done explaining this sorry I hit a nerve or something.  Now I really am going to watch some movies.    

good thread, sort of