Lucky Louie (and now Louie)

Started by Ravi, June 09, 2006, 12:42:41 AM

Fernando

Ok I know I'm late to jump on the Lucky L. band wagon but I don't care, this show is great even though I've only watched two episodes, one when it actually aired but because my girlfriend hated it couldn't watch more, she found it too raw I guess.

It might be no curb but it's the best comedy since CYE no doubt; also been watching videos of this guy available in the usual places (youtube, his site, duh!) and he is hilarious, he was awesome on the tonight show.

I already signed the damn petition and everybody should too.

matt35mm

Quote from: Fernando on September 28, 2006, 03:08:15 PM
she found it too raw I guess.

Can't get much rawer than...

WIFE: Come on, try to catch me!
LOUIE: No, I'm not gonna try to catch you!
WIFE: Okay, if you catch me, I'll suck your dick.
LOUIE:  What?  Psh, no, that's just--
(He lunges at her and they both run around the table several times, and he is unable to catch her.  He finally sits back down, panting, looking completely pathetic.)

WIFE: Oh Jesus, look at you!
LOUIE: Will you still... suck my dick?

... something like that.

MacGuffin

Comedian gets 'Better'
C.K. cast alongside Lawrence
Source: Variety

Louis C.K., who co-wrote "I Think I Love My Wife" with Chris Rock, has been cast alongside Martin Lawrence in "The Better Man."

Lawrence plays a successful talkshow host who moves home to the South in the Universal comedy. C.K. will play Marty, his fast-talking producer.

Malcolm Lee is directing, and Scott Stuber and Mary Parent are producing via their U-based Stuber/Parent banner.

C.K. recently starred in the HBO skein "Lucky Louie." He also starred in one-hour comedy special "Louis C.K.: Shameless" for the feevee channel.

"The Better Man" is Lawrence's next pic following the currently onscreen "Wild Hogs."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Hahah...

"You pooed on my show, you dink!"

Good stuff.

hedwig

haha yeah i heard that a while ago. puts smith vs siegel to shame.

it's fun to see idiocy confronted and exposed.

MacGuffin

FX likes Louis C.K.
Cable network shot pilot for third comedy series
Source: Variety

Hungry for a few more laughs, FX has quietly shot a comedy pilot starring stand-up star Louis C.K.

Tentatively titled "Louie," the half-hour is based on his life as a comedian and divorced father of two. Stories are told through a mix of standup routines and sketches (in which he acts opposite actors playing his kids, ex-wife and friends).

Project reps the third laffer in the works at the cabler, which has been aggressively looking at beefing up its comedy collection beyond vet "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia."

FX is set to elaborate on its comedy strategy on Friday during the net's portion of the TV Critics Assn. press tour.

Cabler has had trouble in the past finding the right comedy to pair with "Sunny"; most recently, "Testees" fell short. That may be why it's been so stealthy this time with its comedy crop.

FX has been developing and shooting laffer projects quietly for months now. "Louie" joins a slate that includes comedy "The League," the recently shot pilot about a group of guys in a fantasy football league, and the animated half-hour "Archer," which has already received an episodic order. FX has several more comedies in the works as well, but at the script stage.

FX plans to make a decision on both "The League" (from Jeff Schaffer and Jackie Marcus Schaffer) and the Louis C.K. project within the next 10 days. Insiders said there's a good chance both comedies will also be ordered to series.

It's a grassroots project for Louis, who not only wrote "Louie," but also cast it, directed it and even edited it, with the help of $250,000 in seed money from FX. Louis shot the low-budget project in New York.

"I said, wire me a quarter of a million dollars and I'll give you a DVD in a month, and amazingly, they did," Louis said. "Because it was only $250,000 they had the reasonable expectation that I wasn't going to disappear with the money. To them, it's a low-risk thing, and for me, I was able to try different stuff."

Louis' life situation as a recently divorced man still co-parenting with his ex-wife largely informs both his current standup routine and this new show. His experience as a fortysomething man back on the dating scene also plays a large role.

The pilot includes two stories: In one vignette, "Louie" must volunteer at his kids' school, and things go horribly wrong when he chaperones a field trip. In another bit, he goes on a terrible date.

"It's a unified stream of conciousness," he said of the show. "It all comes from me being a 41-year-old divorced comic trying to raise children, meet people and have sex."

Word of the FX pilot comes just a day after NBC confirmed that Louis would be joining the cast of "Parks and Recreation" this season for a multi-episode arc.

Comedian is playing a potential love interest for star Amy Poehler's character. It's a high time for Louis, who also just received an Emmy nomination for outstanding writing in the variety/music/comedy category, for the Showtime special "Louis C.K.: Chewed Up."

Louis previously starred in the HBO sitcom "Lucky Louie." He'll next appear in the Ricky Gervais feature "The Invention of Lying."

Meanwhile, on the drama side, FX recently picked up the series "Lawman," from exec producer Graham Yost. Meanwhile, production on the Shawn Ryan pilot "Terriers" starts next week, and Warren Leight recently joined another drama pilot, "Lights Out."

FX is expected to pick up at least one of those two, depending on the outcome.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cronopio 2

Anyone else caught the premiere?  I laughed so hard. Looks like they're aiming for a mixture of curb, seinfeld and his own glorious bitterness. He seems extremely angry now, but that's good.
Highly recommended.

polkablues

This format works so much better for him than Lucky Louie. I read in an interview (either A/V Club or CHUD) that the structure of the show is inspired by Annie Hall, which seems like an apt comparison. I'm excited to see where he goes with it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

diggler

Loved that poker scene. I could've watched that for hours.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

poker scene was good until the gay guy gave louie permission to say faggot then it felt like the whole scene was just to set up to show that louie had gay friends who didn't mind him saying faggot.

loved the show nevetheless.  the bad news is, tickets to see him live will be much more expensive and sell out much more quickly.  and he'll probably get heckled by a lot more drunk people now.
- Buster Keaton

diggler

i don't think he gave him permission to say faggot at all.  i believe the words were "it doesn't offend me because i know you don't mean it", which is exactly right. Nick Depaulo (who i wanted to punch in the face that entire scene) clearly did mean it, making his use of the word offensive.

When Louis C.K. uses offensive language in his acts, it's more of an exploration of the meaning of the word itself. He's the only comic i know who can get away with saying "faggot cunt nigger deer" in the middle of his act and not offend anyone. It's all about his context and approach. I think that's what his gay friend was referring to when he said "i know you don't mean it".
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

pete

that's the thing.  his materials are so good I find lines like that (where the gay friend says he's not offended) to be extraneous.  it's his equivalent of explaining the joke.  he makes plenty of really foul jokes on opie and anthony where they have actual discussions as comedians, and those are actual explorations unpolished, so to contrast those ramblings with that opening scene makes those lines especially blatant.
- Buster Keaton

squints

holy fucking shit this is the funniest and best show on tv right now.

i really really hope louie can keep it up.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche