Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Criterion seems to have acquired the taste for double dipping.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

A Matter Of Chance

Yeah - it's pretty frustrating, but I think it's actually a good thing. Lots of the movies they pick actually need cleaning up, and, as we saw with Seven Samurai, the newer edition was just infinitely better than the first.

edison

Quote from: Walrus on March 18, 2007, 11:09:01 AM
Criterion seems to have acquired the taste for double dipping.

oh come on, it's not that bad (not like those major studios) and there is plenty of time to sell off an old edition (for decent money) before the new one ever comes out. The great thing about criterions is that their sell back value hardly drops which is why I don't mind blind buying one of their discs and then not liking it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Sellback still doesn't provide much of a discount for getting the newer one.  Maybe you have more charitable merchants near you than are near me, but if I were to sell a copy I'd probably get $10 in trade for it if I was lucky, but that's considering the fact that its value would drop once the new one comes out, so the trade wouldn't be too useful anyway.

Basically, the newer editions will still be $39.99, so I'll have spent about $80 on the same movie (if I buy it at retail price, but it's not like I'd save a lot if I got it for $32.99 at Best Buy prices) just for some extra features.  I mean, I'm more comfortable buying ONE version of an out of print movie with minimal features if it's the kind of movie I'd like to watch over and over again.  But really, if Criterion can't manage the best features the first time, they should leave the versions alone so it isn't so insulting to buy the same top dollar DVD's more than once.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Walrus on March 19, 2007, 02:53:30 PM
But really, if Criterion can't manage the best features the first time, they should leave the versions alone so it isn't so insulting to buy the same top dollar DVD's more than once.

Usually it is more than that. They are mainly dealing with finding better transfers. Some of their DVDs just really had poor transfers when first released so when they go back to re-do the film with a better print, they try to add as many extra features as possible so the person who is re-buying isn't just re-buying a new transfer.

I think there are exceptions. Charade was quietly re-released without anything added and I don't think The Third Man re-release has that much of a better print than the original.

edison

Sellback still doesn't provide much of a discount for getting the newer one.

You should talk to those who sold back their old Third Man on ebay for about 70-80 bucks. Now of course it has dropped (happens once new edition is confirmed through website) but before a disc is said to be re-released, the old one goes OOP and then the price skyrockets. It happened with Playtime, Beauty and the Beast, 400 Blows.

Maybe you have more charitable merchants near you than are near me, but if I were to sell a copy I'd probably get $10 in trade for it if I was lucky, but that's considering the fact that its value would drop once the new one comes out, so the trade wouldn't be too useful anyway.

I sell mine back through ebay, never through a b&m store. You should open an account and try it one day, you'd be very surprised.

Basically, the newer editions will still be $39.99

Anyone who pays full price for a criterion is a fool, no offense, but one pays full price because they want to, so they shouldn't complain because there are plenty of better options. The internet always has the best deal, look into it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I usually get mine in secondhand stores on rare occasions or pick them up cheaper online, as well.  I guess I just assumed there has to be people buying them at retail price who are getting reemed here.

The Red Vine

"If..." is a great title for Criterion. Lindsay Anderson was probably misunderstood for his time. Now if they can only put out "O Lucky Man".....
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

tpfkabi

Quote from: Walrus on March 20, 2007, 09:31:04 AM
I usually get mine in secondhand stores on rare occasions or pick them up cheaper online, as well.  I guess I just assumed there has to be people buying them at retail price who are getting reemed here.

deepdiscount.com usually has a sale once or twice a year. one is ending today. 40% off i think.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

edison

Quote from: bigideas on March 22, 2007, 04:00:11 PM
Quote from: Walrus on March 20, 2007, 09:31:04 AM

deepdiscount.com usually has a sale once or twice a year. one is ending today. 40% off i think.

dvdplanet.com is having the same sale but it is ending 3/31.

mogwai

any updates on the 'night on earth' dvd, gt?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: mogwai on April 07, 2007, 05:16:20 PM
any updates on the 'night on earth' dvd, gt?

Nothing since the initial annoucement. Usually when a film is announced for a specific time slot (like this fall) the DVD is about set and ready for release. There are no major concerns. When Criterion privately announced the Eisenstein Silent Box set, they were vague about details and a projected release. No one knows when that will be released. It is excellent news that they have come out out like this about Night on Earth. The one question of concern though is whether Jarmusch will answer the questions fans sent in and Criterion has been mum on that but I think because of that, he did answer the questions. They more likely would have reported if he didn't.

I'm guessing Night on Earth will be released around October or November. I also think this will allow Criterion to get at Jarmusch's other films. Stranger than Paradise is tapped for Sony, but I'd love to see other less available films by him released. Mystery Train tops that list.

mogwai

Ravi

http://www.image-entertainment.com/about_us/investors/index.cfm

Image Entertainment Acquires Film Slate from Jeremy Thomas' Recorded Picture Company, Including ``The Last Emperor,'' Winner of 9 Academy Awards

MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE, THE HIT and INSIGNIFICANCE also Acquired through Agreement
CHATSWORTH, Calif., Apr 11, 2007 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Image Entertainment, Inc. (Nasdaq:DISK), a leading independent licensee, producer and distributor of home entertainment programming in North America, today announced the acquisition of The Last Emperor, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Hit, and Insignificance, four Jeremy Thomas-produced films, through an exclusive North America license agreement with Recorded Picture Company's sales agent, UK-based dreamachine.

The agreement grants Image home video, digital and broadcast rights to each of the four titles. For home video, Image will release movie-only versions while Criterion, also distributed through Image, will release definitive special editions of the films as part of the renowned Criterion Collection. Criterion and dreamachine will work together to create new high-definition masters assuring film aficionados the highest quality possible. Broadcast availability, home video and digital distribution plans will be announced later in the year.

Director Bernardo Bertolucci's The Last Emperor won each of the nine Academy Awards for which it was nominated. Along with Best Picture, it won Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Cinematography, Best Costume Design, Best Director, Best Film Editing, Best Music, Original Score, Best Sound and Best Adapted Screenplay.

The 1987 film chronicles the life of Puyi, the last Emperor of China, played by John Lone, with Joan Chen, Peter O'Toole, Ruocheng Ying, Victor Wong, Dennis Dun, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Maggie Han, Ric Young, Vivian Wu, and Chen Kaige. It was the first motion picture filmed inside the walls of China's Forbidden City. The Last Emperor premiered theatrically on December 18, 1987, thus celebrating its 20th Anniversary at the end of this year.

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, starring David Bowie, deals with the bonds between four men in a Japanese prisoner of war camp during the Second World War. The Hit, directed by Stephen Frears, features Terrence Stamp as a former gangster living under an alias in Spain. Insignificance, a drama/comedy directed by Nicolas Roeg, is a fictional account of the interactions of four iconic figures; Marilyn Monroe, Joseph McCarthy, Joe di Maggio and Albert Einstein.

"We are thrilled with this acquisition and look forward to developing and expanding this relationship. These films certainly enhance our library and heighten the profile of films Image will acquire and distribute in the future," stated David Borshell, Image's Chief Operating Officer.

London-based Wendy Rutland brokered the agreement on behalf of Image Entertainment.

Gold Trumpet

Criterion has always been trying to get The Last Emperor. Primarily because they are in good standing with Bertolucci and it is a film that fits well in their boutique style and will be recognizable to mainstream audiences. That said, I expect a large special edition that will actually price out most people.

The news is that other films have been picked up in this deal as well. They are, as follow: Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Hit and Insignificance. The last is a Nicolas Roeg film and will become a favorite for many. The Hit will introduce Stephen Frears into the collection. Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence will introduce Nagisa Oshima, director of In the Realm of the Senses. It also provides an unlikely performance by David Bowie. Neither are considered to be great works for either director, but it again proves that Criterion want to try to get as many directors as possible introduced.