Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Xx

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: flagpolespecial on January 19, 2007, 05:44:24 PM
la haine is confirmed for april. it's on the criterion site again. hopefully that's not the final cover art cos i fucking hate it.

You mean this?

Ha ha, yeah. I think it's kind of funny.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

that cover wants nothing to do with the awkward C.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

FROM THE CRITERION SITE:

"Ask Jim Jarmusch"
When we released Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law a few years back, the "Ask Jim" feature was so popular that we've decided to do it again. We are currently working on a special edition DVD of Jarmusch's Night on Earth, and we're wondering what questions about the film you would like to have answered on the DVD. We can't guarantee Jarmusch will answer all (or any) of your questions, but if you have some, please send them to: noe@criterionco.com.

We will be accepting your questions through February 19. Please do not send any personal requests; they will not be answered. Please do send thoughtful and creative questions, as many as you like. Remember to include your full name, city, state, and country of residence. Thanks for participating and look out for the Night on Earth on DVD this fall!

mogwai

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 02, 2007, 05:30:04 PM
FROM THE CRITERION SITE:

"Ask Jim Jarmusch"
When we released Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law a few years back, the "Ask Jim" feature was so popular that we've decided to do it again. We are currently working on a special edition DVD of Jarmusch's Night on Earth, and we're wondering what questions about the film you would like to have answered on the DVD. We can't guarantee Jarmusch will answer all (or any) of your questions, but if you have some, please send them to: noe@criterionco.com.

We will be accepting your questions through February 19. Please do not send any personal requests; they will not be answered. Please do send thoughtful and creative questions, as many as you like. Remember to include your full name, city, state, and country of residence. Thanks for participating and look out for the Night on Earth on DVD this fall!

definitely something i'm looking forward to buying. i have the region 0 dvd which has nothing extra.

Gold Trumpet

Some filmmakers have always been desired to debut on Criterion. Maybe none more so than Satyajit Ray, who has gone by the way side of getting special editions for any of his films. Now it looks like his catalogue (beyond the Apu Trilogy) will finally see major audiences. This comes from the Criterion forum and kindly represents "inside info". But, who knows if it is true:

"According to a friend, in correspondence with staff at UCSC, "Criterion has been negotiating with UCSC to acquire several Satyajit Ray films."
The email specifically said that "things are moving slowly," but some more title-specific announcement may be forthcoming later on in 2007."

Ravi

I hope they release some of his lesser-known works, such as the documentaries he made.

matt35mm

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on February 06, 2007, 09:32:42 AM
"According to a friend, in correspondence with staff at UCSC, "Criterion has been negotiating with UCSC to acquire several Satyajit Ray films."
The email specifically said that "things are moving slowly," but some more title-specific announcement may be forthcoming later on in 2007."

Hey, I go to that school!  I took a class from the head of the Satyajit Ray film preservation thingy, and it's true that we've got the best available prints.  I got to see them for the class.  They're good.

Gold Trumpet

This information should by the side of the Ray news, but Criterion is also (this time admittedly) looking into acquiring rights to Kiewslowski's The Decalogue. Here is a response they gave to someone who asked about the chances of Criterion releasing the 10 hour film:

"Jonathan Turell forwarded your note to me.

As much as we'd love to release the DECALOGUE on Criterion, we don't currently own the rights. We are looking into this, though, so perhaps things will change in the next year or so.

Thanks for your interest and have a happy holiday.

Warm regards,
Kim Hendrickson
Executive Producer"

edison

Finally confirmation of Berlin Alexanderplatz! Very interested in this one but it's going to be very expensive.

edison

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: edison on February 16, 2007, 09:55:57 AM
Sansho the Bailiff http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=64346
Vengence is Mine http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=64342
Army of Shadows - 2 disc http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=64346
The Third Man Re-issue 2 disc http://www.image-entertainment.com/dvd/detail.cfm?productID=64344

Good find. The details have yet to hit the Criterion site (I imagine it will later today). The major news is finally that Army of Shadows has a release date and that Third Man is being re-issued. The original was a very good DVD so it will be interesting to see what they add onto it. But, the dvd I am most excited for is Vengence is Mine. I've heard great things about it for a while and have been anticipating Criterion to release it.

In other news, it has been confirmed that Criterion is currently in production to release Lindsay Anderson's If... Anderson goes by the wayside of popular comment, but as far as I'm concerned he's one of the very best British filmmakers of all time. If... could be released alongside his first film, This Sporting Life, which has been rumored as a future title for Criterion for over a year now.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The Army of Shadows one is a little weak but the other covers are extraordinary.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

samsong

Quote from: Walrus on February 16, 2007, 03:51:01 PM
The Army of Shadows one is a little weak but the other covers are extraordinary.

word.

the may releases are almost too good.  Vengeance Is Mine is a great, great film.  hopefully there's more imamura to come, namely The Ballad of Narayama... the only other one i've seen.

Gold Trumpet

Ok, shocker time:

"Dear Miles,

Unfortunately we don't have the rights to NOSTALGHIA, but we will be
releasing IVAN'S CHILDHOOD this summer.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for your interest in Criterion.

Best regards,
Kim Hendrickson"

News of the day for me. I've been excited to see this film released for a while. Sad about Nostalghia, but they still can get the rights sometime in the future.