SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
THE CATHEDRAL
THE CHUBBCHUBBS!
DAS RAD
MIKE'S NEW CAR
MT. HEAD

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
FAIT D'HIVER
I'LL WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE... (J'ATTENDRAI LE SUIVANT...)
INJA (DOG)
JOHNNY FLYNTON
THIS CHARMING MAN (DER ER EN YNDIG MAND)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Not a single nom. for Punch-Drunk. So sad. Glad to see Adaptation is getting some recognition. Good choices for best cinematog., although would have liked to see Minority Report be on there.

Let's go Marty! This is your year!

Pwaybloe

Quote from: cbrad4dLet's go Marty! This is your year!

Here, here!

Sandler not getting a actor nomination is surprising, but the rest of the noms are anything but suprising.

number9

it's sad that celine dion isn't up for anything this year, cos i think it would be very nice to see her and eminem on the same stage.

and i think john c. reilly will be this year what jim broadbent was last year... an actor in so many great films will definitely get some recognition.

sphinx

i'm kinda surprised that road t'p'dition didn't nab a best picture nomination...it was probably released too early.

life_boy

No real surprises on here for me (except maybe no editing nom to Michael Kahn).  I'm glad to see John C. Reilly getting some much deserved recognition.  He's a great actor and I'm happy he's being viewed as such.

Raikus

*weeps* for Road to Perdition.

It deserved a best picture nomination.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Newtron

Yeah, the John C nom is the highlight. Talk to Her and Y Tu Mama Tambien getting director/writing, and writing, respectively, but NOT Foreign Film nom sucks.

Do we guess the winners now? Spirited Away is a lock. That's all I'm sure of though.

Ghostboy

If Spirited Away doesn't win, than that category just needs to be retired.

I'm really disappointed. There are usually one or two good surprises, movies you're glad they remembered to nominate. Nothing really like that here, though. Julianne vs. Julianne is kinda interesting, I guess.

©brad

I am really amazed/happy for Pedro Almodovar getting nominated for best director and best original screenplay. Hell yeah!

One thing I don't get. First off, why are there only two films nominated for Makeup? Not that I know anything about makeup, but you would think elaborate productions like Gangs and Chicago would also get nominated. Also, why the fuck is the Time Machine nominated for an Academy Award?

MacGuffin

Quote from: NewtronTalk to Her and Y Tu Mama Tambien getting director/writing, and writing, respectively, but NOT Foreign Film nom sucks.

RE: "Y Tu Mama Tambien" - Academy Rules for Best Foreign Film state: The film must be first released in the country of origin between November 1, 2001 and October 31, 2002. "Y Tu Mama Tambien" was released in Mexico on June 8, 2001.

RE: "Talk To Her" - Spain chose "Mondays In The Sun" to represent their country because it swept their Oscars called the Goya Awards and shut out "Talk".

But both films, since they were released in the US in 2002, were eligible for all other catagories. So the Academy isn't so dumb; they know how to honor these films in other ways.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Nothing shocking... just the same offensive shit.

PDL getting nothing isn't surprising, but it's still disapointing and Chicago getting nominated for best picture just makes it worse.

I like that J-Mo is nominated twice.

Adaptation getting nominated for best adapted is like when O Brother got nominated for best adapted because of being "based" on Homer's Odysee.

The Academy knows Selma Hayek's back story with her struggle to get Frida made, so she'll probably win even though she probably doesn't deserve it (I haven't seen Frida, so I can't be sure, I'm just basing it off her previous performances).

I'd like to see Queen Latifa win an Oscar.

Paul Simon will probably win best song just because there's no Disney song up this year.  (though Eminem probably has a shot too).

So, who's hosting OUR awards show?

Rudie Obias

i really hate how most of the movies nominated were released in the last month of a half of 2002.  boo-urns!!

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Redlum

Peeves:
PDL obviously
No Andy Serkis (was it a possibility in the 1st place?)
The Wild Thornberrys song (although I love Paul Simon) instead of Jon Brions song from PDL.
Sam Mendes

Pleased :
Conrad Hall
JCR
Christopher Walken

Its just annoying that they had a few opportunities, to throw in some wild cards to spice things up a bit, but now the ceremonies going to be pretty uninteresting for me.

...although I've still gotta see a lot of the films opening near me this weekend.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Duck Sauce

This is worse than I thought. No real suprises at all. Dissapointed new PDL nods, but I wasnt expecting them. I wont be watching the Oscars this year