the best sketch comedy show

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 30, 2004, 05:55:54 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Tell me if I missed anything. (They're in alphabetical order.)

pete

the state/ stella.  Stella is the best!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

LIVE FROM NEW YORK, IT'S A NO-BRAINER!

(damn caps lock key.)

RegularKarate

Should have seperated old (good) SNL and new (bad) SNL.

Otherwise, it's clearly Mr. Show

UncleJoey

Quote from: RegularKarateShould have seperated old (good) SNL and new (bad) SNL.

Agreed.

I voted for Kids in the Hall.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

picolas

I'd just like to unfairly influence the vote by saying I voted for Monty Python's Flying Circus.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

cine

Quote from: picolasI'd just like to unfairly influence the vote by saying I voted for Monty Python's Flying Circus.
I'd just like to say that I voted for that too.  :yabbse-thumbup:

RegularKarate

Python IS king... I probably shoulda voted for them, but I own all of Mr. Show and none of Python on DVD.

As long as Python wins over Mr. Show and not Stale No-Laugh, I'm happy.

Jeremy Blackman

Poor Mad TV. That's a good show.

I didn't include Laugh-In. Should we?

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI didn't include Laugh-In. Should we?
As if someones going to vote for it anyway. Maybe throw it in for history's sake, I guess.

SCTV is getting no love. They would've been my next pick, by the way. And then SNL.

RegularKarate

I like most of the people that were involved with Second City at the time, but SCTV was boring.  I just never laughed at it.

cine

Well then we're not even going to discuss why it was right behind Monty Python. For the record, Monty Python said SCTV was the best. I can't remember if it was in regards to the best comedy show or best sketch comedy or best ensemble. I don't recall. And SCTV kicks ass since it paved the way for your Mr. Show.

So we shall all bow to SCTV.. and shame on everyone for not mentioning it in John Candy's tribute thread.  :(

RegularKarate

Like I said, I really liked everyone involved and I appreciate the way it paved... maybe it was just a waste of good talent... maybe I just haven't watched enough episodes (though I don't plan on watching many more considering how little I've laughed at the ones I have seen), I don't know what it is.

and every sketch comedy show that lasted more than a season "paved the way" for every other sketch comedy show after it, even if it was just helping by showing what not to do.

cine

Let's put it this way.. if you don't like the current state of SNL.. that's totally fine by me.

SCTV though.. if you didn't find it funny.. you should still watch the episodes for the sheer originality that came out of the sketches, whether your sides are splitting or not.

You probably shouldn't reply to this because your next post is 3000. Don't waste it on me. but don't do a visual defense either...