What DVDs did you get for the Christmas?

Started by Banky, December 03, 2003, 01:16:54 PM

Alethia

what i'm getting x-mas morning:

Once Upon a Time in the West
Schizopolis: Criterion
Peeping Tom: Criterion
Written on the Wind: Criterion
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover
My Life to Live
A Woman Under the Influence

EDIT - aguirre: the wrath of god, day for night, and last picture show as well

Tommy Both

Tokyo Story - Criterion

Can't wait, it was a blind buy but it has a 2 hour long docu on Ozu and 40 minutes of interviews with filmmakers on Ozu...

Sigur Rós

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Sigur RósI just bought Tim Burtons Ed Wood.

It's on DVD now?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

it's funny that theres 3 pages of this topic and its not even christmas yet.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

From my bro:

Only problem, Seabiscuit is Full Screen.  Bleh.  But that's easily fixable.  I'm not sure where he got the idea that I'd want that movie (though I am interested in seeing it).  Came with a book, too.  It's the thought that counts.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Weak2ndActThis year, I'm demanding the Criterion Hitchcock set (especially since 3 of them are going OOP).  

BAAAH!?!?!!  :shock:

which three? i've got the majority of movies in that box set so i figured i wouldn't buy the set, just finish them out separately. which are going so i know?!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

cine

SoNowThen

Straw Dogs also goes oop on the 31st, if you didn't already know...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

rustinglass

it's probably just silly of me to ask but can you fix the full screen problem, cause I have good will hunting and wag the dog fullscreen, and it's painful.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

mogwai

Quote from: rustinglassit's probably just silly of me to ask but can you fix the full screen problem, cause I have good will hunting and wag the dog fullscreen, and it's painful.
have you tried to stretch the screen?

bonanzataz

Quote from: CinephileRebecca
Notorious
Spellbound

ah, shit. rebecca and spellbound are the 2 i don't already have. and i just got notorious for xmas, coincidentally enough.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Fernando

Got these for my girlfriend, can you believe she likes this stuff?   :-D

cine

samsong

Quote from: FernandoGot these for my girlfriend, can you believe she likes this stuff?   :-D

lucky bastard... i have all three, but lucky bastard  :twisted: you should ask your girlfriend to marry you.  anyway if you havent seen those three, all of them are absolute masterpieces.  you should pick up Hiroshima mon Amour to go with Night and Fog... lucky bastard.