Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

Ernie

this is being posted by a friend of ebeaman's exactly as he wrote it, he'd rather this was his last post for awhile. I'll try to put what I'm taking in verbatim in one of those quote box things.

Quote-Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
-All the Real Girls
-At Close Range
-Cry Baby (fans of Hairspray must see)
-Drugstore Cowboy
-Edward Scissorhands
-Fear (the Mark Whalberg one)
-Niagra, Niagra
-Safe Men
-Uptown Girls (seriously really fucking great)

he also just wanted me to say that his current obsession is the movie Uptown Girls and that EVERYBODY here should ignore the reviews and see it now, he says it's the best new movie he's seen since All the Real Girls. He wants me to check for PM's every once in awhile for feedback on what people thought of it over the next week or two.

Ernie

Whoops...he did more than 10, I missed 4 of them:

QuoteAlice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
All the Real Girls
Arizona Dream
At Close Range
Cherish
Cry Baby
Dogfight
Drugstore Cowboy
Edward Scissorhands
Fear
My Own Private Idaho
Niagra, Niagra
Safe Men
Uptown Girls

Remember to see Uptown Girls, he expects some PM's soon.

I can vouche for Dogfight, that is awfully underrated, see that one if you can.

oakmanc234

I can think of heaps that I consider under-rated:

Ali
The Frighteners
A.I.
Hard Eight
Bully
Made
The Cable Guy
Little Nicky
Mystery Men
One Hour Photo
The Beach
Predator 2
Get Carter (remake, yes the remake)
Tresspass
The Great White Hype
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Gold Trumpet

These lists are hard. If I wanted to attempt to make any comprehensive one, I'd likely forget something and be pissed about it. Naming more than one or two makes me want to name even more.

I'll keep it simple with one. An older movie, a 60s comedy that is known now because it starred a famous musician. My own belief is that the movie is comedic in structure but purposely unfunny. The comedic structure allows for it to be prolly be the most thought out film of its kind and if labeling comes from that, maybe the best comedy I've ever seen. Thats a mis cue of course because the purpose of the film is to be morally shocking without taking sides (where the comedy element comes in). It's an anti war film that is not just about war is hell and such, but also about every man's ego and how it is driven to want the elements of war in themselves even if personally against the ones waged by nations. It achieves more than just a comedy and the filmmaking is so consistently innovative that for me, it seems wrong the film is hardly known and only getting 3 stars on my tv guide. I guess the 3 stars is out of respect for the good reviews it originally got but the lack of attention in public acclaim and an ability to be known amongst popular culture today. and oh yea, the film is: How I Won The War.

~rougerum

Find Your Magali

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThese lists are hard. If I wanted to attempt to make any comprehensive one, I'd likely forget something and be pissed about it. Naming more than one or two makes me want to name even more.

I'll keep it simple with one. An older movie, a 60s comedy that is known now because it starred a famous musician. My own belief is that the movie is comedic in structure but purposely unfunny. The comedic structure allows for it to be prolly be the most thought out film of its kind and if labeling comes from that, maybe the best comedy I've ever seen. Thats a mis cue of course because the purpose of the film is to be morally shocking without taking sides (where the comedy element comes in). It's an anti war film that is not just about war is hell and such, but also about every man's ego and how it is driven to want the elements of war in themselves even if personally against the ones waged by nations. It achieves more than just a comedy and the filmmaking is so consistently innovative that for me, it seems wrong the film is hardly known and only getting 3 stars on my tv guide. I guess the 3 stars is out of respect for the good reviews it originally got but the lack of attention in public acclaim and an ability to be known amongst popular culture today. and oh yea, the film is: How I Won The War.

~rougerum

Wow. Great description! I've never seen it, but your praise makes me want to run out and get it this weekend.

(which I guess is one of the whole side points of this thread, to tip folks off to great movies that might have fallen through the cracks)

moonshiner

Wayne's World

Quote from: MacGuffinA Perfect World

I love that movie...terrifically sad
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

rustinglass

Quote from: RaikusDark City - better than the Matrix with an eight of the recognition. Beautifully shot, great acting, and above all a sci-fi movie without overly cheesy special effects. They do exist Virginia.
I say the same about equilibrium
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

MacGuffin

Why didn't GodDamn finish his list?

Few More:
Searching For Bobby Fischer
Red Rock West
The Last Seduction
River's Edge
Safe
The Fabulous Baker Boys
What's Love Got To Do With It
The People vs. Larry Flynt
Threesome
The Craft
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jasper_window

Fresh
Kicking and Screaming
Internal Affairs
Beautiful Girls
Flirting with Disaster

soixante

The Gambler
Day of the Locust
California Split
Blue Collar
Straight Time
Who'll Stop The Rain
Return of the Secaucus 7
8 Million Ways to Die
Street Smart
Bitter Moon
A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries
Music is your best entertainment value.

Weak2ndAct

Goddamn!  I scroll through three pages of posts and end up having 2 of my faves pop right up at the end-- Soixante, totally agree on Blue Collar and Straight Time (where's this dvd fer cryin' out loud?).
Don't know if all these qualify as underrated, but most are unseen by peeps when I bring 'em up:
- Point Blank (Fuck 'Payback')
- The Woman Chaser
- I Stand Alone
- Everything Put Together
- The Tenant
- Light Sleeper
- Videodrome
- Miami Blues (All you Grosse Pointe Blank fans need to catch it)
- Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
- Mother Night (or anything by Keith Gordon for that matter)
- The Hidden
- Saint Jack
- Bad Day at Black Rock

jasper_window

Quote from: Weak2ndAct

Right on!

soixante

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
- Point Blank (Fuck 'Payback')
- Saint Jack

Yes, these are good ones -- especially Point Blank.  This film was way ahead of its time.  It is one of John Boorman's best films.  It also needs to be put on DVD.

Miami Blues is cool.  Haven't seen Saint Jack since it came out, but it was sort of a comeback film for Bogdanovich.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alethia