Battlestar Galactica

Started by meatball, June 12, 2005, 09:40:42 PM

grand theft sparrow

So I went against the advice and I just watched Black Market...

yeah, it was the only one I can say so far that was bad, though I didn't really like Final Cut too much either.  But I watched Resurrection Ship 1 & 2 and Epiphanies before it and I don't have to wait a week to see the next episode so it didn't completely destroy my image of the show.  Plus, Bill Duke was in it and I could at least smile at that.  Every TV series is bound to have a major clunker in it.  Glad I know that it doesn't get worse than this one.

EDIT:  OK, Black Market was pretty bad but I thought The Captain's Hand was even worse... broaching the abortion issue in a science-fiction show is just too heavy handed, despite the interesting way they resolved it.  They've managed to entertainingly stay topical regarding post-9/11 concerns in the western world but that was taking it too far; I'm not offended by the subject but it just felt out of place for this show.  Like I'm expecting an episode where Apollo and the Chief realize that they're gay for each other and Adama threatens to kick them out of the Colonial Fleet.

from the onion's av club newswire.

KEVIN SMITH TO DIRECT BATTLESTAR EPISODE
posted by: Scott Gordon
August 28, 2007 - 8:19am

Kevin Smith revealed in an interview with AOL that he'll be directing an episode of Battlestar Galactica in its upcoming and final season. That said, don't expect it to suddenly turn into a Kevin Smith-type thing: "It's cool, but it is scary because it is like, 'What the fuck? I can't bring anything to that show.' That show is genius and they have a very distinctive visual style. But you are safe as a kitten. If you go in there and say, 'I'm going to shoot everything in one big master shot,' they'll go, 'No you're not, because that is not what we do on Battlestar Galactica.'" (Via Pop Candy)
:yabbse-undecided:

context, context, context.

Raikus

It's TV episode directing. No biggie. I'm sure FX will still be up to someone else. That's the only real thing I can think of that would massive screw up an episode.

Although I can't wait for the Apollo/Starbuck rap.
"Frak, frak, frak, mother mother frak frak, mother frak mother frak, noise, noise, noise..."------
Update: Shortest news story ever. He won't be directing it due to "scheduling conflict."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

grand theft sparrow

Between Sunday morning and last night, the wife and I went through the last 12 episodes of season 3.  Simply amazing.  In the finale, we were freaking out when they started singing "All Along the Watchtower".  Lost is still my favorite but BSG is right up there too.  It is seriously a crime that this show isn't watch by every man, woman, and child with access to the Sci-Fi channel or a DVD player. 

[MINISERIES SPOILER] The only thing that bothers me about the show is that they have similar objects and phrases to us if they're not supposed to be from Earth. Like Tigh referring to a ship being crushed like a cheap soda can.  If they're a different civilization from us, then how the hell could they have the exact same shit as us... unless they explain it by the end of the series. [END SPOILER]  But other than that, no TV show with a spaceship in it has anything on this. 

Not to mention that, though the politics of the show are a little heavy-handed, the way it's worked in and how it's not always the same characters playing the same roles in comparisons to our state of affairs is just brilliant.  You can't be aware of it and not be forced to look at everything in a different way.  For that reason alone, the show is indispensible.

But what's this bullshit I hear that they're going to have season 4.0 in November and then season 4.5 in early 2009?!  What the frak?!

so, who saw Razor?

i was very turned off when i heard the story happened between seasons 2 and 3, because the crew at pegasus seemed like a bunch of raping , heartless pirates . i wasn't expecting a serious story about the brutish side of command and survivor's guilt. i was just thinking, galactica is the only mainstream sci fi story that i know of that involves killing civilians in ridiculous amounts, sex, substance abuse and downright pessimism sometimes. these guys that created the new series have nailed the modern nerd sensibilities.

Raikus

I saw it and liked it. It wasn't the best that they've aired but mostly on par with Season 1 and early Season 2 material. I mostly hated the "razor" metaphor -- which is what the whole movie is based around -- and I think they spent too much time flipping it (the metaphor, not the knife) around the whole time, but otherwise the story delivered and it brought out a great character that I really wish had stayed around.

It was interesting to see how the Galactica and Pegasus diverted in their missions and courses after the attack on the colonies. I still think it was far fetched to ransack and shanghai the civilian fleet when they encountered them. Even though Caine's (sp?) revenge motive was fueled by deep betrayal and anger I don't see how she could justify killing and leaving the only other human survivors they've encountered drifting hapless through space. I can see them cannibalizing ship parts and members but still leaving enough ships with ftl to survive. It was something Adama, even though a hardass, would never have done even if the Jimminy Cricket of Roslin wasn't on his shoulder.

Also, the sophomoric Quizno's breaks really took me out of the show. They sounded like a bunch of middle school boys wrote the commercial breaks. Lesbians in space TEEHEEHEEHEE! And I really can't make up my mind about the young Adama actor. At first I was really impressed with him but then he just seemed to be channeling Edward J. Almos by grinding his teeth together.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

modage

watching Black Market now.  why Gods why!?

according to the new Entertainment Weekly Season 4 begins Friday April 4th at 10pm.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Though I maintain that The Captain's Hand is slightly worse (and Scar wasn't so hot either), the show never gets that bad again.  Luckily, the worst episodes of the entire show thus far are all on the same disc.  And once you see the first 4 hours of season 3, you'll forget all about them.

Universal HD just started from season 1 last night.  Looks so good.

Quote from: H.(sparro)W. on January 06, 2008, 06:25:04 PM
And once you see the first 4 hours of season 3, you'll forget all about them.

so true

Raikus

Fourth and Final season premiere tonight!

Catch up with this great 8 minute recap: What the Frak is Going on?

Raikus

Not at all. There's been one bad episode (last week's airlock) but other than that it has been smooth and captivating.

You see Cron, there's this little thing called "setup." It's necessary when telling a story so it holds your interest and has more importance to you when it ends. How many good story arcs have they set up so far? The final four dealing with their situation, Starbuck's mission to find Earth, the President's death and her relationship with Adama, the Cylon civil war, Saul's cavorting with Caprica 6, Baltar becoming a Messiah and Lee becoming a politician. All with an eventual payoff.

Patience.

pete

how come every time you want to defend something shitty you've gotta sound patronizing in the most stupid way?  Cron's seen The Wire, I think he knows a bit about setup and payoff.  if you really have to be rude, then at least be a little less corny about it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Quote from: Raikus on April 28, 2008, 11:36:42 AM
All with an eventual payoff.

That's the part i'm scared of. I don't think any of the arcs can stand on its own.  It's like what they said in nymag a couple of weeks ago, 'Everybody's planning to do stuff in the near future!' .
a couple of thoughts:
Baltar was Marx last season and now he's Jesus?
I can't stand the acting anymore, cept for maybe the exchanges between Dean Stockwell and  Tricia Helfer.
I hope Starbuck never finds earth.
i've honestly lost interest.

and i resent the patronizing tone.

Raikus

See, now if that was your first post I wouldn't have been patronizing. However, anytime someone uses the Comic Book guy's phrase as a post it requires a patronizing response. Nothing personal, it's just that "Worst ____ ever" drives me crazy.

I can see some of your points. Starbuck has been one of the most annoying characters on television since she returned. But if you go by the show's track record you've got to believe the pay off is going to be huge. When I first heard they were spending half a season the Baltar's trial I think I audibly groaned. But man, I thought they did an excellent job of it and made a trial almost as exciting as anything else they've done so far in the show. I can see the pessimism, I just think it's misplaced.

As for Pete, I love you man. You can never pass an opportunity to pop off at the mouth. It's adorable.