The Old Man And The Gun

Started by Reel, March 28, 2017, 11:54:38 AM

jenkins

source

9/28 LOS ANGELES NEW YORK

10/5 AUSTIN BOSTON CHICAGO DALLAS-FT. WORTH PHOENIX SAN FRANCISCO WASHINGTON DC TORONTO

10/12 ALBUQUERQUE ANN ARBOR ATLANTA BOCA RATON W. PALM BEACH CHARLOTTE CINCINNATI CLEVELAND COLUMBUS DAYTON DENVER DETROIT HARTFORD NEW HAVEN HOUSTON INDIANAPOLIS KANSAS CITY MIAMI FT. LAUDERDALE MILWAUKEE MINNEAPOLIS NEW ORLEANS PHILADELPHIA PORTLAND RALEIGH DURHAM CHAPEL HILL SACRAMENTO SALT LAKE SAN DIEGO SAN ANTONIO SANTA FE SEATTLE ST. LOUIS MONTREAL VANCOUVER

jenkins

'The Old Man & the Gun' Soundtrack, Oct 5 release date

1. Theme (1:46)
2. The Diner Part One (3:10)
3. The Diner Part Two (1:30)
4. 30 Century Man – Scott Walker (1:26)
5. Three Day Bank (6:41)
6. John and Maureen (2:01)
7. More Happy (1:58)
8. The Over the Hill Gang (2:57)
9. You're Doing a Great Job (3:34)
10. Freeze Sailor (2:05)
11. Two Different Things (2:29)
12. West St. Louis Toodle Oo (1:08)
13. He Must Be Thinking of You (2:03)
14. Keep on Pushin' (3:47)
15. Lola – The Kinks (4:05)
16. Jewels for Jewel (2:16)
17. When You Find Something You Love (2:24)
18. The Gun and The Kiss (2:50)
19. Blues Run the Game – Jackson C. Frank (3:31)
20. Officially Retired (2:16)
21. Rub A Dub Dub (2:34)
22. Samuel Anselm (1:52)

Alethia

I could not have loved this more. Run, don't walk, to your local cinema and see this. Ghostboy knocked it out of the park. Probably my fave of the year.

Alethia

Ahh this was such a blast! Utterly charming and all around wonderful. This film is a celebration of cinema through and through, clearly made by a student of PTA (in the best possible sense).

Sleepless

Ghostboy is doing a Q+A at a screening in Dallas tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend as I'll be having dinner down the street to celebrate a friend's 40th, but I'm going to try to catch an earlier show.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Sleepless

So Ghostboy has done it again. Of course he has. This movie is the perfect autumn movie. It's like your favorite wool jumper, which you wear while reading a book in front of a small wood fire, outside a large window with grey skies outside on a Sunday morning. It's got touches of melancholy and nostalgia, but throughout it is a cheerful, positive, and fun films. The montage of Tucker's escapes is especially touching, amusing, and compelling. I think I had a huge smile across my face for pretty much the duration of the film. I really hope Redford gets over his resistance to campaigning, because it'd be great for this film to serve not only as his final performance, but his final Oscar-winning performance. Bravo!
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Ravi

Ghostboy on The Kodakery podcast:

https://www.kodak.com/corp/podcast/podcastepisode/?contentid=4295010426

Episode 109: The Old Man & the Gun director David Lowery

Director David Lowery joins us this week. He spends time discussing the intricacies of his latest film, The Old Man & the Gun, a film based off of a New Yorker article that was brought to him by Robert Redford. We talk about his preference to be involved with the editing process of all of his films and when he chooses celluloid and why. His passion and joy for filmmaking is unmistakable and is evident in all of his films as well as our conversation with him.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/the-kodakery/the-old-man-the-gun-director-david-lowery[/soundcloud]

tpfkabi

Looks like 1 theater pretty close will get the movie on Oct 26th. None of the chains have this film in the Upcoming Attractions on Fandango, but this is a smaller local chain that has film festivals and will sometimes show stuff like Wes Anderson movies, etc, that don't get wide distribution.

I was thinking about how a lot of this board was really hyped on David Gordon Green with his early arthouse leaning films, and how weird it was that he directed Halloween in 2018 and it may keep Old Man out of some of the multi-screen theaters because it has multiple showings.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Something Spanish

Couldn't let this slip away from the big screen before having a go at it, turned out to be a smart move on my part; TOM&tG is special, subsisting on a legend's charisma and the assured vision of a director insistent on presenting new ways of storytelling, paying an artful homage to the outlaw genre and the essence of movies. Unlike the Dude, I was into the whole brevity thing. For a movie featuring mostly over the hill actors, the thing moves fast, a brisk portrait of one interesting fellow that touches on the effects of aging, the passage of time, doing what you love. Caught a handful of nods to PTA, which would enrich any movie. Shooting 16mm was the right choice, that grain left a stamp of nostalgia on the frame. Foresee repeat viewings of this one in the years ahead.

jenkins

the opening 9:38, available for viewing via awards consideration/home release marketing

Ravi

The Blu-Ray is out tomorrow.

Special features:

Audio Commentary By Writer/Director David Lowery
Everything Else We Shot
Prison Cats
On Filmmaking
31 Wake-Ups
Joining The Hunt
Gallery

Something Spanish

csage97

I was able to catch this one -- and yes, it was wonderful! The photography reminds me a lot of Magnolia minus the really long Steadicam sequences, though I don't think this one would be anamorphic if it were shot in 16mm. What I mean is that this film has that gushing sense of celebrating storytelling through the camera and film. There are a lot of magnificent whip pans, closeups on written or typed words, some small push-ins (from what I recall). I was blown away by the 16 escapes sequence, which also resembled a certain beginning from a certain PTA film.

The story itself was really well done; it was brisk yet breezed along and didn't feel rushed. The editing was pretty much perfect and the soundtrack was really nice, which was mostly swing jazz, but other things when it needed to be.

I don't know what the budget was for this film, but I'm guessing it was relatively small. I would just love to see what David Lowery could do with some more money to make a film like this with some expanded subject matter. Could you imagine something that has the artistic sensibilities that this has, but with a longer run time, perhaps an ensemble cast, "heavier" or more mysterious subject matter? Maybe he'd produce something different but no less magnificent. Judging by how good and tightly woven this thing was, I think Lowery could do it, and I certainly hope he gets the chance.