Reality

Started by The Obstruction, May 14, 2004, 05:21:55 PM

The Obstruction

i read a pice, a while ago in a danish paper, the pice was about this danish instructor, who had had a break making movies for about 10 years, but in this article, he claimed that he was back.
But oh boy the man was pissed, he hated the new wave in danish movies, where it has to be as realistic as possible, as far as he said.

Now my question to this forum is, are there a general turn in movie making, are there to many films who is realistic in there expression, and is it a problem.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

Gold Trumpet

I think you going to get asked by 10 people to reiterate your question. I couldn't even follow it.

The danish point is interesting. Yea, with their popular film movements as of late, the advancement toward realism to capture realism seems to have been the ambission. I never cared for it, myself. Realism is a beautiful thing in cinema, but more interesting when captured through the beautifal artiface that makes cinema unique. That requires talent instead of a choppy camera and little production.

The Obstruction

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetRealism is a beautiful thing in cinema, but more interesting when captured through the beautifal artiface that makes cinema unique. That requires talent instead of a choppy camera and little production.

I was discussing the subject of the danish films with a friend last week after posting the topic, and we got to the conclusion that there is nothing big about the danish film productions. I mean, there was this big thing about dogme, and all that. But there after it fated away, and  we sad back with a bunch of danish directors who all made dogme films who had to be as realistic as possible, but who didn't stick to the dogme rules.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch