76th Annual Academy Awards News!!

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 25, 2003, 08:26:34 AM

SoNowThen

No, that makes perfect sense. They could just say: "Scarlett Johansson, for Girl With The Pearl Earing & Lost In Translation". That'd be cooler, imo. You're that fucking good, you kicked ass in two movies this year.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

xerxes

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaI'm reminded of times when an actress gets nominated for two roles for Best Lead Actress (or Supporting), and then ends up getting shafted because the votes get split.  To me, the way I think it should work is, if an actress gets a vote for EITHER performance, it should count for her.  So if she gets nominated for two films, she can get a vote for either film and have it count, and if she has more than anyone from that combined total, then she wins.  Think about it: it's fair, because first off, she was good enough to get nominated in two spots, and if she's getting all those votes for either film, then she really is the best actress of the year, regardless of which film it was in.  Though I doubt others would see it that way, this makes the most logical sense to me.

i don't think it should work that way

modage

seabiscuit was good.  just because it wasn't 'cool'.  it wasnt downbeat, they didnt show it out of sequence.  it didnt have overlong shots that followed behind a character for minutes on end.  or amateur acting and direction, it was a big hollywood movie, and it was good.  people here are too cynical.  just because something plays at an arthouse doesnt mean its any good.  and vice versa.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02seabiscuit was good.  just because it wasn't 'cool'.  it wasnt downbeat, they didnt show it out of sequence.  it didnt have overlong shots that followed behind a character for minutes on end.  or amateur acting and direction, it was a big hollywood movie, and it was good.  people here are too cynical.  just because something plays at an arthouse doesnt mean its any good.  and vice versa.
it was nothing special. if u want to award corniness and brilliant cinematography, story, blah blah all these "real movie" categories, they should have recognised HULK, which in fact satisfied and surpassed all the seabiscuit criteria and wasn't an art house film.

seabiscuit only made it cos they needed sum fucked up patriotic thing. there i said it.
under the paving stones.

modage

the hulk should've been up for editing atleast.  which i think was pretty goddamn extraordinary.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pseabiscuit only made it cos they needed sum fucked up patriotic thing. there i said it.
I'm with you on that. Which is also why Hulk didn't make it.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Pseabiscuit only made it cos they needed sum fucked up patriotic thing. there i said it.
I'm with you on that. Which is also why Hulk didn't make it.

Yea...that and it sucked.

But as for Onomatopeia's opinion...I have to agree with him. Scarlett SHOULD have been nominated for something! Everytime I think about it I feel like punching Academy-president-guy's face. Grr! This is so irritating, still! And my rep is suffering as a result of it because of how much I supported her in school and now people who never saw either movie are saying, "Well, she must not have been THAT good!" and then I have to go through at least 45 seconds of explaining the split vote. Fucking Aye.

Henry Hill

i dont know if this has already been said, but i dont feel like looking for it. it makes me sick that the girl from WHALE RIDER was nominated for best actress over nicole kidman. if by some miracle she beats charlize theron...i am banning the academy awards. and i dont even care if charlize theron wins. naomi watts has my vote, and i didnt even see 21 GRAMS  :oops:   hey, what can i do..it just came to a theater near me this week.

ono

Quote from: filmboy70i dont know if this has already been said, but i dont feel like looking for it. it makes me sick that the girl from WHALE RIDER was nominated for best actress over nicole kidman.
Here's the thing.  Nicole Kidman hasn't really given a great performance since Eyes Wide Shut (barring Moulin Rouge, since I haven't seen it).  And perhaps, because of this, Eyes Wide Shut is her only great performance.  The Hours was merely smoke and mirrors, and I haven't seen Dogville yet, but that's beside the point.

But I'm guessing you haven't even seen Whale Rider if you can't understand that Keisha Castle-Hughes performance made that film, and was nothing short of amazing.  I didn't think the film was as great as some people here did, but her performance alone made the film memorable, and since Scarlett Johansson got tragically shafted, my support is entirely behind her to win the Best Actress statuette.  No one else in the category seems to be deserving this time around (I haven't seen Monster, Watts was okay in 21 Grams, and Hounsou gave a better performance in In America, IMO (nominated as Best Supporting Male, of course).

Pubrick

filmboy70, are u by any chance.. 14years old?
under the paving stones.

nix

I was under the impression that he was 70 (hence the avatar).
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Chest Rockwell

Judging by the evidence discovered in his name, i'll bet he's a 70-year-old film boy?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhich is also why Hulk didn't make it.

Okay, I'm not talking about Best Picture. But... editing maybe? Special effects?

And Hulk does not "suck." No, my friend, it doesn't.

©brad

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhich is also why Hulk didn't make it.

... i'm getting anGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEON MERCURY

my hopefulls.....not that anyone cares......

BEST PICTURE:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING(or mystic river0

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE:
Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE:
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER(or murray)

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE:
Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS

DIRECTING:
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING