Fox Searchlight...Coolest studio right now?

Started by Fishbulb, April 18, 2004, 01:58:28 PM

Fishbulb

While looking at the upcoming releases for different studios, it struck me that Fox Searchlight has the most interesting and diverse sounding collection of movies scheduled for 2004. This year so far they've already released CLUB DREAD and THE DREAMERS (ok, they also released NEVER DIE ALONE and JOHNSON FAMILY VACATION, but they can't all be winners). But in the months to come, they have movies like NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, GARDEN STATE, I HEART HUCKABEES, SIDEWAYS (the new movie from ELECTION and ABOUT SCHMIDT director Alexander Payne), and the Johnny Knoxville/Farrelly Brothers collaboration THE RINGER. Sometime in December they're going to be releasing the first movie from the people behind The Onion too.

Kal

All the most 'interesting' films seem to be part of the indie-oriented/small budget arms of the Major Studios

Fox Searchlight - 20th Century Fox
Focus Features - Universal
Sony Classics - Sony/Columbia
Miramax - Disney

Warner just started with Warner Independent Features which will also have some good films out this year

Chest Rockwell

Focus Features is the studio I'm watching. As far as I know they haven't released a film I didn't like.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Jeremy Blackman

My favorites are Lion's Gate and Canal+ (StudioCanal).

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellFocus Features is the studio I'm watching. As far as I know they haven't released a film I didn't like.

How 'bout this?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

pretty much the only true independent studio that is doing well...from what I know.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

mutinyco

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Chest RockwellFocus Features is the studio I'm watching. As far as I know they haven't released a film I didn't like.

How 'bout this?

Ha!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Kal

Quote from: SHAFTR

pretty much the only true independent studio that is doing well...from what I know.

True... well... we can add the fuckers of NEWMARKET now

SHAFTR

Quote from: just andyk

I was going to mention that in my post, but decided against it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Kal

Quote from: just andyk

I was going to mention that in my post, but decided against it.

Thats cool... they really dont deserve it :)

Finn

Miramax is probably our best studio right now.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

SoNowThen

What has Lions Gate done that makes them so great?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

pete

was that a bottle rocket reference?  'cause if it is--good for you.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton