The 85th Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, August 02, 2012, 07:59:51 PM

Reel

ZING!

Jeremy Blackman

Okay, that was funny. (But it still doesn't resemble a coherent criticism.)

socketlevel

They illustrate it better than I could ever say it:

the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

Are you guys serious? Why is this still a contentious issue?

The awfulness of family guy and the problem with its apologists has been well documented over the years, in many threads, through many needlessly coherent arguments.

Starting (and really, ending) with this discussion from 2004:

http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=4975.msg106120#msg106120

Wherein jb (who must have some sort of amnesia bringing this up AGAIN, or maybe has suffered mental retardation from years of watching family guy, I don't know, I'm not a doctor) ADMITS that he doesn't know enough about other actually funny tv shows to even understand what is wrong with fg. It's like talking to a climate change denier, or a creationist.

Fg is a funny show in the same way that pieces of shit like Two and a Half Men are funny. If for some tragic reason you force yourself to watch it, you might get a laugh or two. And while technically that may qualify it as "funny", it will never be considered "great" or "classic".. or the most important quality in a comedy: rewatchable.

Quote from: modage on October 01, 2012, 01:10:37 PMIt's crazy to me to even have to state that.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

@ Pubrick

That was 8 years ago. Also, your near-psychotic level of hostility surrounding Family Guy is most baffling of all. Why do you feel like needlessly attacking people because of their tastes? It's immature and unwarranted, and it certainly goes against the spirit of this board.

And really, calling me a retard? Okay, go with that.

@ socketlevel

I chuckled at the Knight Rider thing, because Family Guy can go overboard on the pop culture references, but then it sort of spiraled into gross exaggeration (attacking Family Guy for excessive use of puns... what?) and ended up being kind of dumb and incoherent. I'll take a Michael J. Fox joke over ginger jokes and toilet humor any day.

I guess I like South Park, they're very clever sometimes, but I'm not sure I've ever laughed out loud while watching the show. It's good, but not necessarily laugh-out-loud funny for me. (Which is strange, because I loved Team America: World Police, and Book of Mormon sounds great.) But I'm pretty sure I've laughed harder during Family Guy episodes than most other media. Personal taste, I guess.

polkablues

Pubrick hates Arrested Development.

NEVER FORGET
My house, my rules, my coffee

socketlevel

Quote from: polkablues on October 03, 2012, 02:21:08 PM

NEVER FORGET

As do I, for virtually the same reason as family guy
the one last hit that spent you...

Reel

Holy shit! Me, Socket, and Pubrick should start a gang

Pwaybloe

Quote from: polkablues on October 03, 2012, 02:21:08 PM

NEVER FORGET

Yeah, what the hell, Pubrick?  Family Guy is a piece of shit show.  It really is.  I just can't find any redeeming values.  So, how can I agree with your stance on FG when you don't find AD funny at all?  WHO ARE YOU?  HUH?

JB, just like most everyone here, you have great taste in other mass media, but for some reason you had a lapse in reason.  I get that.  I still can't quite understand why everyone here seems to love Animal Collective (and all their side projects), when their music is really pure garbage.  Y'know the really smelly kind that's left over on the street after waste management trucks are gone. 

NEON MERCURY

damn...this really sucks. the oscars suck anyways but by having seth host also adds a layer of toolbag doucheness with a garnish of white trash on top that the oscars arent (and we arent) use to.

i think ratner/murphy would have been a better choice...

polkablues

Quote from: NEON MERCURY on October 03, 2012, 10:39:50 PM
i think ratner/murphy would have been a better choice...

Thread over.  Let's burn it to the ground.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 03, 2012, 02:18:29 PM
That was 8 years ago.

so? the point is there are at least 3 subsequent discussions on other threads through 2008 or something, not including this one, that offer the "coherent arguments" you crave so much. which i guess after all that fuss don't count for much cos after 8 years you're still uninformed about other actual funny shows, and hence cannot understand why FG is worthless.

Also, your near-psychotic level of hostility surrounding Family Guy is most baffling of all. Why do you feel like needlessly attacking people because of their tastes? It's immature and unwarranted, and it certainly goes against the spirit of this board.

what? ok so you don't understand humour, that's been established with the FG debacle, but you are seriously missing the spirit of the board if you don't realise that the WHOLE POINT of xixax is our tastes are superior to almost every other dickhead on the internet.

And really, calling me a retard? Okay, go with that.

again, woosh. and i said maybe, and qualified my statement with lack of medical expertise.

Quote from: Pwaybloe on October 03, 2012, 08:02:01 PM
  I still can't quite understand why everyone here seems to love Animal Collective (and all their side projects), when their music is really pure garbage.  Y'know the really smelly kind that's left over on the street after waste management trucks are gone.

you just gave JB a heart attack. and i agree with you, you're back in the gang!
under the paving stones.

polkablues

If we can transition this into a thread for shitting on Animal Collective, I would totally be into that.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrick on October 03, 2012, 11:50:17 PMyou are seriously missing the spirit of the board if you don't realise that the WHOLE POINT of xixax is our tastes are superior to almost every other dickhead on the internet.

Right, so let's divide ourselves as much as possible, react with bizarre immaturity when another member's tastes greatly differ from our own, and then pass it off as high-brow humor? You're right — this is a great formula for a healthy message board.

HeywoodRFloyd

As if this isn't a one up from Franco, Hathaway and Crystal. Everyone will enjoy this, I enjoyed him hosting the Roast's. He's a great performer.