Phantom Thread

Started by wilder, June 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

tpfkabi

I wonder if there will be some Vertigo vibes and there is also the use of the name, Alma.

The table shot makes me think of Barry Lyndon and some shots of EWS - maybe the Christmas decorations/stairs.

This reminded me of Jack White hiding vinyl records in the furniture he made pre-White Stripes.

"Women come and go through Woodcock's life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love."

I wonder if PTA having a relationship with a comedienne will inform this at least a little bit indirectly.
As to 'more reserved socially' versus the opposite.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

jviness02

Quote from: tpfkabi on October 23, 2017, 09:26:33 PM
I wonder if there will be some Vertigo vibes and there is also the use of the name, Alma.

The table shot makes me think of Barry Lyndon and some shots of EWS - maybe the Christmas decorations/stairs.

This reminded me of Jack White hiding vinyl records in the furniture he made pre-White Stripes.

"Women come and go through Woodcock's life, providing the confirmed bachelor with inspiration and companionship, until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma (Vicky Krieps), who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and lover. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by love."

I wonder if PTA having a relationship with a comedienne will inform this at least a little bit indirectly.

Vertigo would be interesting, but the trailer seemed to have a call back to another Hitchcock classic when DDL was peering through that door...

Jeremy Blackman

I absolutely love the logo design for the title that's used in the trailer, and it actually makes me like "Phantom Thread" a whole lot more. Wish that was used in all the marketing.

Rooty Poots

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 23, 2017, 10:17:41 PM
I absolutely love the logo design for the title that's used in the trailer, and it actually makes me like "Phantom Thread" a whole lot more. Wish that was used in all the marketing.

Really? I was so disappointed when I saw the type treatment for the titles a few months ago, but assumed it was just a temp treatment PTA used to give Dustin Stanton an idea of the feeling he wanted and would be eventually replaced with more professional type design. The ornamental swashes and odd, uneven lettering feels amateur and the least attractive of all of PTA's type treatments, to me. (That being said, this movie looks absolutely gorgeous. Just from the trailer, it looks like the shots may be more composed in general than the more seat-of-the-pants, improvisational look that much of Inherent Vice and even The Master had. And it looks like it'll transport me to a world I won't want to leave. I'd personally be very happy to hear a 194 minute runtime confirmed.)
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

jviness02

Quote from: BigSock on October 23, 2017, 06:27:13 PM
Quote from: jviness02 on October 23, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.

Spill more details please  :shock: Do you have any word on the runtime of the film  :ponder:

Longer than Sydney and PDL. Most likely shorter than everything else.

Yes

Quote from: jviness02 on October 24, 2017, 02:48:25 AM
Quote from: BigSock on October 23, 2017, 06:27:13 PM
Quote from: jviness02 on October 23, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
I've heard DDL is the lead, but you could argue they are "co-leads". This is from the same source I got the Reynolds Woodcock info.

Spill more details please  :shock: Do you have any word on the runtime of the film  :ponder:

Longer than Sydney and PDL. Most likely shorter than everything else.

I grow more curious by the day as I salivate over these details! So about 120 minutes or so... interesting. Seems like a relatively more intimate, narratively straightforward film compared to the epic mosaics of his last 3.

Drenk

At least his Oscar for TWBB has been stolen by a great film.
Ascension.

Sleepless

Because she's blocking the fucking screen.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

axxonn

Quote from: jviness02 on October 23, 2017, 10:15:36 PM
Quote from: tpfkabi on October 23, 2017, 09:26:33 PM

Vertigo would be interesting, but the trailer seemed to have a call back to another Hitchcock classic when DDL was peering through that door...

And the light on DDL's eye looks identical to the light on Phoenix in the final shot of Inherent Vice

Fernando

Quote from: Kubrick With Two Bricks on October 24, 2017, 07:26:05 AM
I want PTA to win Oscars for best director and best screenplay at some point, but I have a feeling this one won't win him those. :(

Fuck the oscars, it's rare when the best film is even nominated. e.g. 2001, The Master

polkablues

When PTA finally wins his Oscars, it will be Scorsese-style: two decades late and for entirely the wrong movie.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

Quote from: polkablues on October 24, 2017, 12:00:36 PM
When PTA finally wins his Oscars, it will be Scorsese-style: two decades late and for entirely the wrong movie.

You mean: it will be for co-writing that Pinocchio movie for Downey Jr!
Ascension.

budwillies

Has there been any reactions to the film thus far? I know someone posted earlier that they talked to someone that said that it was "great and weird." Any early buzz?

jenkins

'Phantom Thread': Everything You Need to Know About Daniel Day-Lewis' Final Movie

we know everything? not sure i've heard this part yet

QuoteAccording to IMDb, Anderson's camera choices for "Phantom Thread" are identical to "Inherent Vice," including the use of the Kodak Vision3 200T 5213 and the Vision3 500T 5219. Similar to his last feature, "Phantom Thread" will reportedly be presented in 35mm and blown-up 70mm in select locations.

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on October 24, 2017, 01:29:06 PM
'Phantom Thread': Everything You Need to Know About Daniel Day-Lewis' Final Movie

This made me laugh: 
Quote"He previously served as cinematographer of his 1988 short, "The Dirk Diggler Story,"