The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 06, 2011, 03:25:23 AM
Isn't it somewhat remarkable that so many high-profile actors are willing to do an ostensibly anti-Scientology movie?

Not really. at the risk of stating the obvious, it's a movie. Movies generally employ actors. and PTA has the reputation of being the greatest director of his generation so it shouldn't be surprising that there must be a lot of high profile actors lining up to work with him, many of whom probably got rejected because they weren't right for these roles.

also, who exactly is high profile in this cast? PSH is PTA's best friend and an oscar winner, but has he ever made anyone any money? joaquin phoenix is insane and only gained notoriety from being a weirdo outcast, which is perfect for his role here. umm who else.. laura dern is lucky to get work right now after appearing in one of the worst films of the last decade, again by following an acclaimed director. i mean what do you define as high profile? there is no one of the caliber of Tom Cruise or WIll Smith in this film.. those are in fact some of the few people who might think twice about signing up to this masterpiece.

and i hope by qualifying your statement with "ostensibly" you are acknowledging that the film is not entirely about scientology. which would be selling pta short, i mean, like ppl who thought CMBB was a comment on Bush. this isn't to say that a lot pf people will see nothing but a scientology movie, and probably the freaks will sue if the resembalance is too much as they are wont to do and it will result in some controversy for the film which hopefully will translate in financial success for pt, but i really wish at least the fan boys would stop thinking of this movie as being about scientology.

this has the potential to be his Clockwork in that it might make big money directly because of its mass misreading, but the danger of this is he is due for a Lyndon, (and everything that follows), where the misreading takes over and the real film has no chance of being appreciated in its own time.

anyway, no i don't think it's that remarkable.
under the paving stones.

max from fearless

Has anyone got a copy of the new draft that they'd like to share?

polkablues

Quote from: Pubrick on June 06, 2011, 05:48:50 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on June 06, 2011, 03:25:23 AM
Isn't it somewhat remarkable that so many high-profile actors are willing to do an ostensibly anti-Scientology movie?

and i hope by qualifying your statement with "ostensibly" you are acknowledging that the film is not entirely about scientology. which would be selling pta short, i mean, like ppl who thought CMBB was a comment on Bush. this isn't to say that a lot pf people will see nothing but a scientology movie, and probably the freaks will sue if the resembalance is too much as they are wont to do and it will result in some controversy for the film which hopefully will translate in financial success for pt, but i really wish at least the fan boys would stop thinking of this movie as being about scientology.

To JB's point, it really doesn't matter the extent to which the film is ACTUALLY about Scientology.  Clearly, the number of times it's referred to in the press as the "PT Anderson Scientology Project" means that the general public (the cross-section of it that pays attention to movies before they've been made) views the film as being about Scientology.  Moreover, the people who would be causing a backlash against it, the actual Scientologists, have not been historically prone to rational, nuanced readings of things that might be critical of them.

The fact is, there are a number of Scientologists who hold a great deal of influence in Hollywood, and these actors are taking something of a risk by doing a movie that could land them on the negative end of that influence.  Obviously, they think it's worth the risk to work with the best filmmaker of his time, and I would agree wholeheartedly.  It's a testament to his talents and to the respect that he's earned that he could even get a movie made that, no matter how far removed the final product is from the real L Ron Hubbard story, will inevitably be seen by the Scientologists as an attack.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Pubrick on June 06, 2011, 05:48:50 AMNot really. at the risk of stating the obvious, it's a movie. Movies generally employ actors.

It's "somewhat remarkable" not only because of Scientology's influence in Hollywood (which is not trivial), but because of Scientology's reputation of going after its critics.

And yes, I know it's not about scientology, but many people (including Scientologists) will and do view it as such. All I'm talking about is current public perception, which is all that matters for the point I was making.

Quote from: Pubrick on June 06, 2011, 05:48:50 AMalso, who exactly is high profile in this cast? PSH is PTA's best friend and an oscar winner, but has he ever made anyone any money? joaquin phoenix is insane and only gained notoriety from being a weirdo outcast, which is perfect for his role here. umm who else.. laura dern is lucky to get work right now after appearing in one of the worst films of the last decade, again by following an acclaimed director. i mean what do you define as high profile? there is no one of the caliber of Tom Cruise or WIll Smith in this film.. those are in fact some of the few people who might think twice about signing up to this masterpiece

We have very different definitions of "high profile actors," then. Seriously, I didn't say "A-list actors."

Amy Adams, Joaquin Phoenix, and Laura Dern... not high profile? At all? Really?

E: Sniped by Polka. What he said.

Pozer

these arent play it safe actors here. all the top dogs in this cast dont strike me as ones whod fear to take on something like this. its plainly obvious that it's only better your legacy moves for these types.

Jeremy Blackman

Well, yeah, mostly. It's only slightly remarkable. I guess Amy Adams is the more surprising one.

P Heat

Pubrick I thought that was a great comment but, which film with laura dern are you referring to that was the worst film of the decade?? I wouldn't say she's that incredibly lucky to get to work with PTA because he probably just likes her acting. she looks like one of his actors.
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

squints

Quote from: P Heat on June 06, 2011, 02:37:50 PM
Pubrick I thought that was a great comment but, which film with laura dern are you referring to that was the worst film of the decade??

He's talking about Inland Empire, hence this comment

Quote from: Pubrick on June 06, 2011, 05:48:50 AM
laura dern is lucky to get work right now after appearing in one of the worst films of the last decade, again by following an acclaimed director.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

It's remarkable when stars take on roles with controversial overtones in a bad project.  It's logical when they do it for a good one.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Jeremy Blackman

It's remarkable how much we're talking about this.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Just means you brought up an interesting topic.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

"laura dern is lucky to get work right now after appearing in one of the worst films of the last decade, again by following an acclaimed director."

y'all best lay off Joe Johnston and Jurassic Park III.
His genius brought us The Rocketeer, for cryin' out loud!

socketlevel

laura dern is the only actor i'm not so happy about, everyone else is great.
the one last hit that spent you...

Jeremy Blackman

Really? She was amazing in Inland Empire, one of the best films of the last decade.

Fernando

Laura Dern is awesome, im very happy she will work with PTA.