My film is on DVD!

Started by Ghostboy, May 11, 2003, 06:52:31 PM

RegularKarate

Now that I've gone fishing for all the extras (I think I've found them all), I feel I've even got a better deal than before.  I almost feel guilty for taking the XIXAX discount, it's such a good deal.

I was happy to See L.F.L. (I'll shorten to letters because I get the feeling you kind of enjoy P.T. Anderson films) on my television screen and I beleive that it's your best film.  I hope you weren't kidding in the commentary because I really do feel like it was just fucking great and I think you SHOULD do a zombie movie.  I've got a partial screenplay for one that I someday hope to film.

Anyway...I think more people should be talking about this, so I wanted to add some more thoughts.

xerxes

i have really been meaning to give you a little write up on what i thought... for now, since i am quite busy with finals and whatnot, i will say that i did like it... i was very impressed with the production value... and i swear that that guy must be willem dafoe's son or something. ok, must go study. will write more soon.

Recce

Very good job. It's like...a real film. Really great DVD design. The whole thing is like a professional DVD.

As for the story, although, when you boil it down, its a simple idea, I still enjoyed it thoroughly. I figured out the ending fairly early(and I was positive when I saw them walking with the 'baby'. The look on the girls face gave it away) but it didnt bother me. I can't explain it any better then that, but you should be very proud that it didn't bother me. I agree with I think 'regular karates' comment that the color correction might have been a bit too much, but it only struck me on the second viewing. The first time around, it jsut sort of added to the rich look of everything. You also said something about thinking that it lagged too much. I disagree. As a matter of fact, when it ended, it felt way shorter then 20 minutes, so you're pacing was very good.

As for the documentary, its extremely motivating to watch. After I saw it all, I felt like going out and shooting something at like 3am.

As for the commentary, it was entertaining and informative at times. I think its ok for you to say you can't direct actors well. I can't either. Why can't they jsut do whats on the page. Always looking for 'motivation'.

Great easter eggs, too. It was like a surprise. And I'm glad you did the editing thing. I was a bit disappointed none of it was in the documentary, so at least you gave us a little taste.

I think that's all for now. I'll let you know when I watch it again.

p.s. how much did the whole thing set you back, if you dont mind my asking?

p.p.s. Where did the husband guy come from (from the normal couple, not the one with the black hair). I'm sure I've seen him before. Has he done anything else?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Ghostboy

Thanks for keeping this post going, RK! I'm always happy to discuss it further...

That's good that it didn't drag for you, Recce. It actually moves pretty quickly for me most of the time, as well...but every now and then, I have my doubts. Probably because I've watched it about two hundred times. I was careful to pace things pretty tightly, back at the script stage...making every line count.

You guys haven't seen Karl (Tom) before, but as Xerxes said, he does look strikingly similar to Willem Dafoe. In person, he often looks a lot like Stephen Tyler as well.

It's supposedly 'against' the rules to say how much an indie film cost...but I'll just say that, from beginning to end, it cost over five thousand but under ten.

And RK, I do think LFL is my best film in that it's the one that has come out exactly like I imagined it. It also is a nice representation of my personality...twistedly romantic.

jmj

Quote from: Ghostboytwistedly romantic.

Fuckin a bro
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Ghostboy

On the flip side of things, I got a review from Film Threat yesterday. It's pretty negative...and while I have no problem getting slams, I had to laugh at this one. It's just not very well written.

http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=4585

I'm thinking of using 'Pretty Goddamn Boring' as a blurb on any future posters for the film.  :wink:

Sal

QuoteThe only thing keeping you going is the faint chance of someone having a homicidal outburst, or something completely disgusting happening. Of course, nothing so entertaining occurs. It's a predictable outcome brought to you by some really uninteresting folks.

Yeah, if homocidal outbursts and 'something disgusting happening' define entertainment for that reviewer, he really has no business writing reviews...for anything.  I wouldnt be discouraged by him.  They probably hired some 15 year old who can't sit still for five minutes to watch 'Still,' thinking it'd be some kind of cute irony.

Recce

Oh wow, he's so qualified to be reviewing films. He sat through it for 20 minutes and ran through the basic outline of the film. I hope he doenst get paid for this. I wouldn't worry about that idiot, ghostboy. He seems to be some retard who enjoyed 'gone in sixty seconds' and 'fast and furious'. Obviously doesn't know shit about films. Plus, there was only one tiny paragraph about what he thought about the film and he only said it was boring. Nothing about the aesthetic value of it or anything. Obviously never tried to make a film himself. It's extremely easy to criticize. And he can't even criticize properly. 'It's boring!' 'Well, is there a particular aspect of it you didn't like...'. 'No, boring, gimme gimme money!'
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

ono

You just got my order.  I can't wait to see it!

Pozer

We just had new neighbors move in a couple weeks ago, and that's exactly how we were. curious, excited, nosey....that guy really doesn't know what he was talking about, honestly and its cool that David can have a laugh at that kind of stuff.

Still was a nice treat to recieve on a Saturday afternoon.......
first of all, the disc in general is better than at least half of the one hundred and eighty that I own. cool extras, especially the Doc which was truly inspiring. My mom's stomach couldn't handle L.F.L, but I thought it was a great pleasure.

Still looks beautiful. all the way from the opening shot of that amazing looking house (nicely edited by the way) to the final CU of Mary's eyes opening then cutting to black (I loved that).

My Favorite Moments: The bedroom scene right after David's "Kubrick Montage" (which was beautiful as well). Tom and Mary in bed though was my favorite, perfect editing. I wanna say something youd see in a Soderbergh movie, but that scene was all David man, No One Can Touch It!

Alaina (Mary) is Great...a fine actress who I know we will be seeing more of. Her reaction to the dead baby was PERFECT.  Yeah, I had the ending figured out, but her reaction along with Helen's creepiness coming out of the bedroom with the bright light (which David mentions in the commentary - I felt it too) then the shot of her with the baby in the window all the way to the final shot of Mary's discomfort in bed then her eyes opening....nicely done.

Good call on saving the title for the end.

I also loved the dolly shot of Tom and Mary walking to Mark and Helen's house. I don't know why but it reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut. I think it has something to do with Tom's coat.

anyway, cool movie. Get This Now If You Haven't yet and remember: It's Even More Eerie When You Play It Loud!

Ghostboy

Terrific write-up, Poser! I'd write more right now, but I'm in Los Angeles, where 'Still' will be playing tomorrow night, and I only have a few minutes left at this Internet Cafe. But your words cast a ray of sunlight on this INCREDIBLY smoggy day (I can't even see the Hollywood sign).

xerxes

where is it showing anyway??? i doubt that i will be able to go, seeing as how i am wrapped up in finals stuff at the moment, but anyway, how long you gonna be here???

i'm not sure if you'll ever be on to answer this, but you know

jmj

I'm not sure if he will be able to answer you so I'll pass on the info to you.  It's playing tonight (06/04) at 8pm at Cinespace.  Forget studying you should see this instead.  He will be in L.A. until Thur.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

TheVoiceOfNick

I just got the DVD after having it order a while after this discussion began, but I thought i'd just add a little blurb... I thought it was very good, and the whole packaging of the DVD was excellent. Overall, the whole thing looked very professional. Its very inspiring on many levels. Have you considered selling it through a distributor? There are many independent distributors that sell shorts like this on DVD... Image Entertainment being one of them (the have the whole "Thumb" series... thumb wars, thumbtanic, bat thumb)... www.image-entertainment.com. Keep up the good work... can't wait to see what's next.

Nick

Ghostboy

Thanks man. I need to look into the whole distribution thing. There are probably lots of venues I've overlooked, lots of chances I've passed up...I'm so terrible at self promotion!

Hopefully, something new and (relatively) big will be in pre-production soon...