underrated pop music

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 04:06:39 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Avril Lavigne's "Losing Grip"... She may not be a lyrical genius, but it's a great song. Just listen to the live version from iTunes.

Some of Alanis Morisette's recent stuff.

Paul Revere & the Raiders, "Indian Reservation"... a classic.

TheVoiceOfNick

By definition, pop music is over rated!

Pas

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickBy definition, pop music is over rated!

What kind of dictionnary do you have ?!

Jeremy Blackman

I basically mean pop music that is underrated by us.

Sleuth

I like Beyonce and her music is all right too
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

I think Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me A River' is incredible.

Gold Trumpet

I second Ghostboy's pick and add Timberlake's "Rock Your Body" as an even better song. Honestly, its prolly one of the best produced dance songs I've ever heard.

Pedro

i agree....timberlake is fucking awesome

Sleuth

Quote from: Pedro the Wombati agree....timberlake is fucking awesome

I have heard a few of the singles, but I don't get it
I like to hug dogs

freakerdude

Fiona Apple and Bjork.....but Bjork is not mainsteam pop candy.
MC Pee Pants

godardian

Quote from: freakerdudeFiona Apple and Bjork.....but Bjork is not really pop.

As anyone who's read my pointed views on pop music will know, I radically and vehemently disagree with this limited, conventional-wisdom, dull definition of pop music. Bjork is pop; Radiohead is pop. Anything else is arrogant, petty hair-splitting. Anything else declares a serious lack of perspective on music, pop or otherwise. The only definition of pop music that really works is expansive and universal: Anything, on any scale, intended to be mass-replicated/produced/broadcast for public consumption, is pop music. Any other definition means nothing to me, and anyone can see that those other (usually quite short-sighted, self-aggrandizing) definitions have pretty well destroyed the literally popular portion of pop music, let alone any hope of quality in it.

I think "girl groups," from Lesley Gore and the Shangri-La's through to the Go-Go's, are entirely underrated by the culture at large. Particularly the original styles and sounds put together in the early '60s; these, the Motown girl-groups, the Spector groups, and everything else, were absolutely every bit as important as The Velvet Underground or the Stones or the Beatles or The Beach Boys, but even though they are occasionally acknowledged, they never get the acknowledgment they actually deserve.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Kal

I didnt like much pop music before, but since I started working with music, mainly producting pop artists, I learned to understand and like it... and sometimes even love something...

I think Britney Spears is still nothing compared to what will be... she's coming with a brand new CD that will be incredible...

I usually get all the CDs for free at work.. now I even get them from the iTunes Music Store so I listen with my iPod on my trips... latest ones I've been hearing are Beyonce, Jason Mraz, Dido, Mandy Moore and Sean Paul... all of them have a few songs worth listening to

Kal

by the way... when the #1 show on TV is about pop music (american idol)... how can we say is underrated?

I think pop music is in the right place... rap and hip hop are getting to be overrated... and i tell you i like some of that... but now we have a lot of crap

godardian

Quote from: mogwaii was going to reply but since the thread contains the name "timberlake" in four posts, i'm not going to.

:lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Newtron

Quote from: mogwaii was going to reply but since the thread contains the name "timberlake" in four posts, i'm not going to.
His album is the perfect example for this thread.

+ "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera. Can't think of others right now but there's lots of good chart songs that are dismissed.