Started by MacGuffin, October 27, 2010, 07:16:09 PM

Ravi

http://www.vulture.com/amp/2018/10/a-year-after-snls-papyrus-sketch-avatar-picks-a-new-font.html?fbclid=IwAR15rpP_vuhgBICmysgQsAlOFXczv5-QDmvCcAF6_ylcdEsE2LBlhRN2Zl4

Avatar Picks a New Font a Year After SNL's 'Papyrus' Sketch
By Megh Wright

It's been a little over a year since SNL writer Julio Torres gave us the truly riveting "Papyrus" sketch starring Ryan Gosling, and now, it's officially made a lasting impact on Avatar itself. While we can count on James Cameron to release a whopping four Avatar sequels over the next seven years, one thing won't be returning with the franchise, and that's — you guessed it — the Papyrus font. Here's the new logo that was revealed this week:

WorldForgot

JB's made a good post over on the first one's thread.

Avatar 2's opening, among 2022 debuts:
1. DOCTOR STRANGER ($187M)
2. WAKANDA FOREVER ($181M)
3. JURASSIC WORLD: BIG D ($145M)
4. THOR 4 ($144M)
5. THE BATMAN ($134M)
6. AVATAR 2 ($134M)
7. TOP GUN: MAVERICK ($126M)
8. MINIONS 2 ($107M)

Jeremy Blackman

The current global box office (434.5 million) is about 1/4 of what's needed for Avatar 2 to be profitable, according to Cameron. It's going to have to stick around and perform like Top Gun... which is possible.

I honestly wonder if the lackluster 78% Rotten Tomatoes score is having an impact.

WorldForgot

It'll definitely gain traction, there's no real competition for it in the coming weeks. Christmas weekend -> New Years will be interesting.

polkablues

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 19, 2022, 03:34:42 PMI honestly wonder if the lackluster 78% Rotten Tomatoes score is having an impact.

If I were to guess, I think it's more an issue with the lackluster 13-year-old movie that it's a sequel to.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

If there's anything Avatar lacks, it's certainly not luster.

Drenk

I had read some positive reviews, but watching The Way of Water, I wondered how it could benefit from the kind of word of mouth that makes you the Biggest Movie of All Time. I would have been the mocked executive asking Cameron to recut the movie. In 2009, flying around in 3D was a huge thing, but here...When I read "I'd never seen something like that before", I wonder what they're talking about. Surprisingly, they don't tell us what that means exactly. Not only I had seen all of this before, I had seen infinitely better versions. In Disney Channel or previous James Cameron movies. 

It will do good. But this franchise should thankfully stop after Avatar 3.
Ascension.

WorldForgot

I can't think of one franchise where there were five movies back to back with consistent quality... Even Bond or Friday the 13th had their duds at that rate (F13 a bit less so).

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: WorldForgot on December 19, 2022, 05:48:28 PMI can't think of one franchise where there were five movies back to back with consistent quality... Even Bond or Friday the 13th had their duds at that rate (F13 a bit less so).

Struggling to think of examples I would vouch for, but I can see people making an argument for some of these franchises:

- Mission: Impossible
- Fast & Furious
- Alien
- Saw

Actually I might put my vote in for the Alien franchise. I remember liking the ones people thought were terrible.

WorldForgot

As somebody that enjoys most of the SAW franchise, I think they only ever had 3 back-to-back consistent ones. Mission: Impossible I could see people being able to defend 3-6 as a run for sure. They'll have a "consistent" backbone of 5 by the time they're done.

polkablues

I could maybe make a case for Fast and Furious 3-7 (though only 5 and 6 are truly great). Final Destination comes close, but the fourth movie is an abomination. I would definitely make a case for the Purge series, especially if you count the two seasons of the TV version. The quality level wavers a bit from movie to movie, but every iteration has at least something worthwhile and expands on the series thematically.

Drenk

He remade Avatar in the water. He can remake Avatar in the fire, in the snow, in...the mist?
Ascension.

RudyBlatnoyd

The world's first ambient epic blockbuster series: each new instalment will contain less and less plot, instead giving over most of its runtime to simply vibing in a new, outrageously expensive digital environment.

Drenk

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on December 20, 2022, 07:50:15 AMThe world's first ambient epic blockbuster series: each new instalment will contain less and less plot, instead giving over most of its runtime to simply vibing in a new, outrageously expensive digital environment.

Until they come up with Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Ascension.

polkablues

Quote from: RudyBlatnoyd on December 20, 2022, 07:50:15 AMThe world's first ambient epic blockbuster series: each new instalment will contain less and less plot, instead giving over most of its runtime to simply vibing in a new, outrageously expensive digital environment.

The last movie is just going to be one of those 24-hour fireplace videos.