NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: polkablues on December 22, 2006, 12:11:06 AM
Quote from: Chest Rockwell on December 21, 2006, 11:06:25 PM
I for one can't wait for Phantom Hourglass (haven't been able to play a Zelda game since the N64) and to finally get my sister to understand the utter amazingness that is Link/steal her DS for a week.

You should know that "Twilight Princess" is amazing.  Maybe not quite "Ocarina of Time" but damn close.  It's also the only decent game for the Wii in the present or foreseeable future, so I pretty much paid 300 dollars just to play this game.
Ah come on, you can always be guaranteed Nintendo will come out with great games for the system. New Metroid Prime game, new Super Smash Bros. game, another Zelda game (?), etc.

The Wii could very well become the best system of this generation once developers know what to do with the technology. I have seen Twilight Princess in action and yes, I think I might get a Wii just after seeing the one game. I'm still on the fence between Wii and 360.

context, context, context.

Pubrick

cronopio where do you buy your games and is there a secret place to buy them cheaply? i understand that DS games are playable worlwide except games made for china's iQue. i've looked on ebay but that avenue is risky and i've been burned before. and i don't know of any place that rents these things here.

the following are lists i've compiled in various categories based on my preferences for games.. i began my search for recommendations by looking in this thread. first, things you should know: the touch screen appeals to me, but i really like pressing buttons too; the present i got comes with Mario Kart DS and Brain Training (aus version of Brain Age); and with a wi-fi USB connector - which i think will play a big part in the longevity of this "slick and cheap artifact."

absolute must buys at any price
New Super Mario Bros - despite the reported shortness of the game
Yoshi's Island DS

ebay come save me
Bomberman Land Touch - great online play (so i've read).
Metroid Prime: Hunters - great online play (so i've read).
Tony Hawk's American Sk8land - but i 've read the online play is disappointing, and so i'd get bored with it sooner than i'd like.
Castlevania: dawn of sorrow / portrait of ruin - not a must have only cos i'm not familiar with this series.
Tetris DS
sub division: touch-heavy ( fun alternative to button frenzy, it's good to have a balance, but which gets old first?)
Kirby's Canvas Curse
Animal Crossing
Elite Beat Agents
Trauma Center: Under The Knife

i like, but you guys haven't mentioned so i'm not sure about:
Meteos - better than tetris?
Electroplankton - touch heavy music creation, the kinda game i would put in the "to breathe to" category (eg. music to breathe to: tristeza; movie to breathe to: the passenger. etc) which i LOVE in the right mood.
Sonic Rush - gateway to amphetamines?

and because of its compatibility, the following are GBA games i think would be nice to (in some cases must) have:
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3  -  if i can't get DS, they say it's not much better than this one anyway.
Mario Tennis
The Legend Of Zelda: A Link to the Past

have i got my priorities all wrong, are any of these really crap -- and most importantly if you could only choose 3 which would they be. in any event that's my summary.
under the paving stones.

there's a bazaar over here that sells them cheaply. this is not cheap website but they deliver worldwide  www.toysnjoys.com/welcome.html  .

your list is accurate and studied, but i'd erase bomberman and tony hawk .
kirby canvas curse is excelent.  you should make it your top priority, but since you're already getting two platformers, i'd recommend elite beat agents, a game that would only be possible in the ds .
i'm very curious about metroid prime hunters but i hear the learning curve is a little hard.
and electroplankton was basically the reason i picked the nintendo ds, although i haven't played it... :saywhat:
since you already did your homework, you should buy them according to your needs. i think the point is getting the best games of all different genres. i still need to find the best fighting game, but i think i'm gonna export a game called jump ultimate stars someday.
pick your games as kubrick would pick his next project.
congratulations, you're a responsible gamer.

anyway, i just want to mention this game. looks like it's never gonna get a translation and it's a damned shame.

Reinhold

this is now the DS thread.

i don't know if you've played Trauma Center yet, but I think it's total crap. heads-up.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Fernando

Quote from: cronopio on December 30, 2006, 12:53:49 PM
there's a bazaar over here that sells them cheaply. this is not cheap website but they deliver worldwide  www.toysnjoys.com/welcome.html  .

I'm seriously thinking of sending you money so you can buy games and console there, here the DS Lite alone costs $260 and games like $60-$70.

Quote from: cronopio on December 30, 2006, 12:53:49 PM
pick your games as kubrick would pick his next project.

Haha, if he does it that way he'll be getting them in 2010.  :yabbse-grin:

last days of gerry the elephant

I got a DS for Xmas, finally, and have picked up the DSX recently,

http://www.modchipstore.com/DSX-DS-Extreme-lite-DS-X-passcard-media-launcher-Nintendo-DS-DSl-16342.html

It's a great device when it works, their latest released batch has had a number of them go wrong (mine one of them) but other than that, it seems alright.

The game I have spent most of my time playing is Final Fantasy 3, I don't think I'll play others so much until Zelda releases in March/April. (It probably will take me that long to finish FF3 anyway). Oh and Mario Kart is just intense when you're playing with equally skilled friends.

picolas

the 3 P should get (sorry i'm late):

- Elite Beat Agents. it has some bad music but it all fits the style/gives the whole thing a weird funny integrity. i think there are 19 levels (once you unlock the three bonus levels) and they're truly different on each difficulty setting. it's so much fun when you're jamming with the song and even failing is interesting at the very least.
- Trauma Center. towards the end it's like you're fighting stuff with the stylus. it's very addictive/innovative and there's tons of playtime/endless levels the first time through. not a lot of immediate replay value but i could see myself starting from the beginning in a year.
- since you already have Mario Kart/Brain Age, Phoenix Wright. it can be like a book more than a game at times but every case has so many twists/turns and it's fun/funny/exciting to present the right evidence/figure out the contradictions in testimony and stuff yourself. if you don't the game will sort of tell you, but that's still fun. the sequel is out this month so you should wait to see if it's an improvement.

i have to say i've been slightly disappointed with yoshi's island and new super mario because they aren't really difficult unless you try to go back and get EVERYTHING but that can be more tedious than challenging. i'm more than 1/3rd through yoshi's island and i've got like 70 lives without really trying. new super mario has FANTASTIC multiplayer (non-online) and interesting/fun ideas/levels. yoshi's island is pretty much the snes game with a bit of simple puzzle solving. not that that's a bad thing. it's a little more challenging than new super. it's tough to recommend one over the other. in summary new super shows off the DS more but it's easier. yoshi is tougher but could've been done on the snes.

i've heard many reviews/people say that advance wars is worth owning a ds for. i haven't really gotten into it myself. maybe i'm just impatient. you may want to have a look at it.

gba: warioware is awesome. if you like metal slug/can play it over and over and over metal slug advance is awesome.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: cronopio on January 02, 2007, 12:50:32 PM
so you can download roms with that thing?????

Pretty much.

Plug and play device.
But as I stated before, their latest batch have had problems and they're working on a new firmware upgrade. I'd rather a replacement though and waiting to see about that. I bought it from gamersection.ca and they have more of the 4th batch (which I would recommend avoiding at this time).

Redlum

You can play some classic Lucasarts point and click adventures such Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle on the DS via an emulator. The stylus is a perfect substitute for a mouse cursor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGxwGj0fDXg&mode=related&search=

more info here: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Kal

I dont like the new title here... I dont have DS!!

Anyways.... I'm addicted to Wii Sports Bowling... Golf is good too...

Chest Rockwell

I played Elite Beat Agents in a GameStop somewhere for hours, till some dude told me to stop. Once you get into it, it's a blast. And I'm not into rhythm games. I've heard great things about both Phoenix Wright (I can't ever find this, though) and Trauma Center, as well.

Also, I tried out Viva Pinata for the 360 and that one was also surprisingly addictive, and admittedly fucking adorable.

I think with my bonus scholarship money I might get myself a DS, but I'm just not sure yet...

Pas

Advance Wars is a seriously kick ass strategy game I spent more than 100 hours on it. And now they're releasing Panzer Tactics, a WWII game with the same engine... SO I guess I shouldn't have traded in my DS for a PSP.

Castlevania games are good on the DS too.