Best Cinematography

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 18, 2006, 02:13:10 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Cinematography: THE NEW WORLD (Emmanuel Lubezki)

THE NOMINEES

Brokeback Mountain
Good Night, and Good Luck
Munich
The New World

killafilm

While The New World looks great, really, it's an awesome looking UGLY film.  That's why I didn't vote for it.  I figured something where the DP really had to push his technical skills and the artistic at the same time was more deserving.

killafilm

Look at movies like Days of Heaven and A River Runs Through It.  Both won the oscar for cinematography.  Both relied on natural lighting.  But both were filmed mainly in magic hour.  While The New World was filmed during high-noon and really the light is unflattering to the actors.  It's not what you'd normally expect someone to due.  I think the results totally fit the movie.  But in my opinion the work of Janusz Kaminski was the best display of cinematography this past year.  Not only does Munich look great but he practiced multiple techniques to give the movie the life and spirit of the 70's.

I'm not trying to diminish the great work Lubezki did on The New World or anything.

hedwig

Quote from: killafilm on April 18, 2006, 03:33:58 PM
Not only does Munich look great but he practiced multiple techniques to give the movie the life and spirit of the 70's.

not only does The New World look AMAZING but Lubezki photographed the natural world with such an immense understanding of its profundity, the arrival in the "civlized world" with so much awe, fear, and wonder, really i think his work transcends your pithy standards of "lighthing" and being "unflattering to the actors." who cares that those two movies won best oscar for cinematography? what's that got do with anything.

fuck yes, this was by far the most astonishing cinematography of the year. good goin' xixax.  :yabbse-smiley:

modage

yeah i dont think there wasnt any awe fear or wonder on the set that day, so he's pretty much just the lighting guy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

squints

I havent seen The New World (God damn you May release!) so my vote went to Munich for cinematography. It was the major aspect of the film i couldn't stop thinking about.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

Quote from: modage on April 18, 2006, 10:07:25 PM
yeah i dont think there wasnt any awe fear or wonder on the set that day, so he's pretty much just the lighting guy.

yeah i dont think you know anything about cinematography or composition. bitch.

killafilm

Quote from: Hedwig on April 18, 2006, 10:53:55 PM
Quote from: modage on April 18, 2006, 10:07:25 PM

yeah i dont think you know anything about cinematography or composition. bitch.

Nor do I of you.

pete

Quote from: killafilm on April 18, 2006, 03:33:58 PM
Look at movies like Days of Heaven and A River Runs Through It.  Both won the oscar for cinematography.  Both relied on natural lighting.  But both were filmed mainly in magic hour.  While The New World was filmed during high-noon and really the light is unflattering to the actors.  It's not what you'd normally expect someone to due.  I think the results totally fit the movie.  But in my opinion the work of Janusz Kaminski was the best display of cinematography this past year.  Not only does Munich look great but he practiced multiple techniques to give the movie the life and spirit of the 70's.

I'm not trying to diminish the great work Lubezki did on The New World or anything.

say that to lubezki when you're rich and famous and see him laugh at you so hard that broccollis fly out of his mouth.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

killafilm

"A lot of people associate Terry with the look of Days of Heaven, and those fans may be disappointed [by The New World].  I hope they don't blame me, but we chose not to shoot with pretty light."

- Emmanuel "Chivo" Lubezki

I don't think I ever said I didn't like the photography in The New World.  But, I think it says something that it wasn't even one of the ASC's nominees.  All of the Xixax nominees were top notch.

hedwig

your lubezki quote doesn't prove anything. he's not knocking The New World, he's just saying that idiots like you who think Malick's films should all have the same look as Days of Heaven should understand that they filmed this movie under a totally different set of circumstances, since they "chose not to shoot with pretty light." i don't think it says anything that it wasn't one of the ASC's nominees or that it didn't win the oscar or whatever, who cares if other award ceremonies acknowledge it? if you really think lighting is the only significant factor in determining the "look" of a film, then i dont think you know anything about cinematography or composition.

killafilm

Quote from: Hedwig on April 19, 2006, 01:50:42 PM
your lubezki quote doesn't prove anything. he's not knocking The New World, he's just saying that idiots like you who think Malick's films should all have the same look as Days of Heaven should understand that they filmed this movie under a totally different set of circumstances, since they "chose not to shoot with pretty light." i don't think it says anything that it wasn't one of the ASC's nominees or that it didn't win the oscar or whatever, who cares if other award ceremonies acknowledge it? if you really think lighting is the only significant factor in determining the "look" of a film, then i dont think you know anything about cinematography or composition.

Now you're just being a BITCH. 

Did I ever say it should have been filmed like Days of Heaven?

-NO

Did I say the way they filmed it totally fit the movie?

-Yes

The fact that it wasn't nominated by the ASC does matter.  Cinematography is a technical craft.  When the ASC nominates someone it's a remark on their abilities to use photographic techniques to reach an artistic expression (but note that Munich wasn't nominated either, so umm...).  To that extent I'll once again say that it's in MY OPINION that Munich is the better picture.  And not just through 'lighting' but through composition, the use of the zoom, mixed color temps, silver retention, different color schemes all to service the STORY.

hedwig

Quote from: killafilm on April 19, 2006, 06:01:14 PM
Did I ever say it should have been filmed like Days of Heaven?

-NO

wow so you're admitting that saying Days of Heaven was lit naturally, filmed in magic hour, and awarded an oscar added nothing to your argument. so pointless.

Quote from: killafilm on April 19, 2006, 06:01:14 PM
The fact that it wasn't nominated by the ASC does matter.  Cinematography is a technical craft.  When the ASC nominates someone it's a remark on their abilities to use photographic techniques to reach an artistic expression (but note that Munich wasn't nominated either, so umm...). 

i know what the ASC's criteria are for nominations, killadouche, thanks for educatin' me. tell me why i have to keep repeating myself here: you continually cite award recognition as if its a sign of validation for a filmmaker. who gives a fuck if an artist is nominated for an award, why should the consensus of a bunch of idiot voters lend any credence to your argument or undermine an opposing viewpoint? how naive can you be to believe that the voters nominate films based solely on quality and artistic merit? oh geeeez, ya know, scorsese's not that good cause he's never won an academy award. sure.

your points make no sense, from "it's an awesome looking UGLY film" to this ridiculous nonsense.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

You're an angry man, Hedwig.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye