Gaspar Noé

Started by MacGuffin, October 19, 2011, 08:03:57 AM

Mel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on January 19, 2014, 05:54:10 PM
(after saying it was his intention, about four years ago, following enter the void)

If you take into account that "Irreversible" used money from project, which was planned originally as erotic film, but Monica and Vincent pulled out in a last minute, you can say that he wanted to make a erotic film whole time. You can watch this interview with Cassel, where he talks about whole deal:

Simple mind - simple pleasures...

wilder

I had to choose someplace.

Gasper Noe, Vincent Gallo, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Carlos Reygadas & More Team For Soccer Pic Omnibus
via The Playlist

Brazil will host the World Cup this summer and football (or soccer for our American readers) fans the world over are marking down the days with as much excitement as fanboys have for the next tentpole or we have for the next Claire Denis film. In an effort to capitalize on this worldwide excitement, Variety reports Mexican director Daniel Gruener is shepherding a new omnibus film centered around the sport and he's bringing along some interesting names.

According to the trade, the 31 directors—spanning four continents—that will direct segments for "Short Plays" include Gasper Noe, enfant terrible Vincent Gallo, "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" director Apichatpong Weerasethakul and "Post Tenebras Lux" filmmaker Carlos Reygadas, as well as Carlos Moreno, Fernando Eimbcke, Sebastian Cordero, Brit Duane Hopkins, Mascha Halberstad, Buthina Cannan Koury, Kiki Sugino,Dorris Dorrie, Yang Ik-june, Bobo Jelcic, Abner Benaim, Rune Denstad Langlo, Juan Carlos Valdivia, Emnet Mulugueta, Menelaos Karamaghilois, Victor Kossakovsky, Felipe Gomez Torres, Alejandro Valle, Pablo Fendrik, Pablo Stoll, Matias Cruz, Faouzi Bensaidi,Luca Lucini, Pedro Amorim and Gruener himself. In all, the lineup features "six winners at Cannes, four Sundance winners, and two at Berlin, Venice and San Sebastian." That's an all-star lineup if we've ever seen one.

All the directors' segments must follow these simple rules: be between three and five minutes long "and largely dialogue free, offer an analogy to some aspect of soccer, but feature ordinary people from the director's own country." While Variety notes that "the producers are considering different options for distribution," the best chance to watch the shorts stateside will likely be on the Spanish-language network Univision, which acquired the U.S. broadcast rights. Currently half the shorts are completed with the entirety of "Short Plays" aiming for late April as the end date.

MacGuffin

Wild Bunch will also unveil Gaspard Noé's next film, Love, "a sexual melodrama about a boy and a girl and another girl".  It marks his first solo feature-length film since Enter The Void in 2009.

"We'll have a visual and a note of intention at Cannes," said Maraval. "It's a love story, which celebrates sex in a joyous way. Gaspard feels that most films that touch on sex in traditional cinema are dark and dramatic, this will be really joyous... He says it's a film that will give guys 'a hard-on and make girls cry'."

It is co-produced by Wild Bunch with Brazilian outfit RT Features and Oscar-winning Thomas Langmann's Paris-based La Petite Reine. 

The English-language production is due to shoot in June, probably in Paris.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Mel

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 06, 2014, 09:35:56 AM
Gaspar feels that most films that touch on sex in traditional cinema are dark and dramatic, this will be really joyous...

Right, I'm about to believe that Noe, who is responsible for some of the darkest films in history is about to make fun and happy film? I'm bit skeptic here, but if he can rebrand himself, I'm looking forward to it.

jenkins

based on the description, innocence, the , and noé's tendency to walk on the wild side, i'd guess the danger here will be the ages of the actors and the possible perception of their ages alone being the "dark and dramatic" touch of the director

Mel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on May 06, 2014, 02:20:15 PM
noé's tendency to walk on the wild side

He sold "Enter the Void" to producers as mix of "2001", "Trainspotting" and "Mulholland Drive". Supposedly in script abortion was mentioned just once, yet he made whole scene out of it. Gaspar himself pointed out in multiple interviews that he isn't trust worthy, when it comes to filmmaking. There are multiple meanings that "really joyous" can have in his case.

jenkins

oh i agree. and it's appropriate that you brought up the abortion in enter the void, a movie that made many questionable decisions, because the people i know who find themselves unable to like enter the void are irreparably repulsed by the abortion scene in particular

i simply think enter the void made him the most interesting and talented filmmaker we have right now, i'm excited about his next movie, and i'm ok with the fact that i don't know what it'll be like or what he'll portray. if i could predict it already, he wouldn't be one of my favorites

side note:
didn't know trainspotting was mentioned in one of his pitches. hearing this, having watched the prodigy smack my bitch up video, and considering spring breakers something like enter the void 2 anyway, i'm now more excited for spring breakers 2 than i expected to be

Mel

Quote from: jenkins<3 on May 06, 2014, 03:12:14 PM
oh i agree. and it's appropriate that you brought up the abortion in enter the void, a movie that made many questionable decisions, because the people i know who find themselves unable to like enter the void are irreparably repulsed by the abortion scene in particular

It took me some time after seeing "Irreversible" to pick "Enter the Void". Even longer after that I waited before watching "I Stand Alone" - synopsis of that film mixed with some previous experience was way too intimidating. You could imagine me seeing countdown in "I Stand Alone" for the first time...

Quote from: jenkins<3 on May 06, 2014, 03:12:14 PM
i simply think enter the void made him the most interesting and talented filmmaker we have right now, i'm excited about his next movie, and i'm ok with the fact that i don't know what it'll be like or what he'll portray. if i could predict it already, he wouldn't be one of my favorites

Interesting yes. I don't feel such anxiety (both in positive and negative way) towards any other filmmaker. As for talented I'm not sure. Gaspar seems completely uninterested in literature side of films. There are far more better writers than him. Again he acknowledges this by saying that script if for getting financing and letting actors do improvisation overtly. I'm pointing this out in context of total filmmaking - there are many parts/mediums involved. Beside I'm not a fan of stacking and judging directors by such superfluous means.

After "Enter the Void" I revisited "Irreversible", not by means of watching it again. I'm not sure if I'll be willing ever to see it again in full length, it is just too painful. I can watch scene or two, but that is all. It is easy to disregard "Irreversible" thanks to content. Yet it is that film, where Gaspar started experimenting and most things seen in "Enter the Void" were prototyped there.

They are much more obvious in "Enter the Void", in a way they are excessive even. Stitching more than hundred shots into one seemingless, fake long shot by means of reframing, camera movement and VFX like in Rectum scene - this can be very exciting, if you know where to look for. I agree that thanks to "Enter the Void" I started considering Gaspar much more seriously, but now I consider "Irreversible" as much more important film of his.

jenkins

the opening of enter the void from the balcony to the apartment down the stairs through the sidestreets to the void's bathroom amazes me. for example. that's some terrific cinematic phenomenology. living cinema stuff.

but either way. any of the three, or anything else. i trust the guy. excited for his next movie

Mel

First visuals (low resolution) from "Love": http://pic.twitter.com/IcRbEdk6xu

Mel

Quote from: Just Withnail on May 23, 2014, 04:11:45 PM
Forget About Love Nymphomaniac

Sex and Gaspar is nothing new to the point of being uninteresting for me. I'm more looking forward to a cheerful film, which would be a huge change for Noe (which I pointed out in one of the previous posts). In the end there isn't much related to sex that he didn't show already.

Mel

Gaspar Noé's Irreversible available on Blu-ray for the 1st time

Release Date: 18 Jun 2014

Comment: Honestly I'm not sure how it will look. To my knowledge most of the footage was captured on 16mm, further downscaled in digital process on purpose (reframing etc), then blowed up to 35mm.

jenkins

think i'd heard about this but i hadn't watched it until mel posted a link today:
http://futbol.univision.com/video/471150/2014-06-15/fifa-copa-mundial/short-plays/short-plays-francia-disparo

a soccer ball. but i don't feel like a go pro is attached to a soccer ball. i feel like i'm a soccer ball

not sure when else it would be appropriate to make a short about being a soccer ball, but if you're going to do it that's how