Greatest Films Ever

Started by MacGuffin, May 22, 2005, 04:32:21 PM

Pubrick

a top 100 would be a major waste of time. u can post em if u want but i dont think anyone will care.
under the paving stones.

soixante

Time's Top 100 omitted Rules of the Game, Grand Illusion, Battleship Potempkin, All Quiet on the Western Front, Breathless.  I can't believe Rules of the Game isn't on the list.  Breathless changed the very syntax of filmmaking, it should've made the cut over Bande a Part.  I read some academic discourse claiming that Breathless is the most important film since Citizen Kane.  I'm sure that the glaring omissions are due to Richard Corlliss' input.  Corliss just doesn't have the gravitas and level of knowledge that Schickel possesses.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SHAFTR

I always thought a Top 5 or 10 from a Decade would be a fun list here.  Perhaps start with the 80s.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

soixante

I was trying to put together a Top 100, and these are the films I would pick from the 80's -- Melvin and Howard, Star 80, Raging Bull, Big Red One, Tootsie, This is Spinal Tap, sex lies and videotape, Something Wild, Blue Velvet, Street Smart.

soixante

Here's an all-time Top Ten -- not mine, but what I would expect most film scholars, critics and buffs would put together:

1.  Citizen Kane
2.  The Godfather
3.  Raging Bull
4.  Battleship Potempkin
5.  8 1/2
6.  Bicycle Thief
7.  Seven Samurai
8.  Casablanca
9.  Dr. Strangelove
10.  Lawrence of Arabia

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: SHAFTRI always thought a Top 5 or 10 from a Decade would be a fun list here.  Perhaps start with the 80s.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=7271&highlight=decadepenticon
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: WalrusWhaddya think?

I think SHAFTR beat you to it:
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5109&start=120

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I know I was off by a little bit, I just remember starting a thread on it a while ago.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

'Goodfellas' Said Best Film of All Time

Martin Scorsese's classic mobster movie "Goodfellas" is the greatest film of all time, according to the experts at a British film magazine.

The 1990 film, based on the exploits of real life gangster Henry Hill, which starred Ray Liotta, Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci who won an Academy Award for his performance was No. 1 in a "Total Film" magazine poll published Monday.

"Goodfellas has everything, in terms of its technical brilliance, its huge influence on modern film-making and its spikiness and rewatchability," Total Film features editor Jamie Graham told Reuters.

"It is slick, arguably the slickest film ever made. But it is also considered, layered and freighted with meaning."

"Vertigo," Alfred Hitchcock's masterpiece starring Kim Novak as a woman who is haunted by her dual persona, was at No. 2 and "Jaws," the thriller that starred a shark, was third.

"Fight Club," starring Brad Pitt, came fourth, followed by "The Godfather: Part II," Orson Welles' classic "Citizen Kane," "Tokyo Story" directed by Japan's Yasujiro Ozu and "The Empire Strikes Back" the second film in George Lucas' "Star Wars" saga, was eighth.

The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was at No. 9 and the Cary Grant comedy "His Girl Friday" was tenth.

There are a number of surprises, with the classic wartime drama "Casablanca" only making it to No. 98 and "Lawrence of Arabia" languishing at No. 77.

Other films in the top 25 included "Chinatown" (No. 12); "Manhattan" (No. 13); "Taxi Driver" (No. 14); "It's a Wonderful Life" (No. 15); "Apocalypse Now" (No. 20); "Rear Window" (No. 24) and "Sunset Boulevard" (No. 25).

"By no means were we trying to be perverse, but we were setting out to make a list that was a bit more modern," Graham said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

What an absolutely bizarre list.
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

it's kinda cool to see a different sort of list that says 'yeah, newer films might be best sometimes too'.  so,  :yabbse-thumbup:  for effort.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

spikiness + rewatchability + Fight Club = delegitimatized.
WWPTAD?

ono

There is so much wrong with that list.  I hate lists.  Lists suck.  Whinewhinewhine.  "Hey, wanna see my list?"

Goodfellas, nay.  Fight Club, yea.  Random.  I'm not even gonna comment further 'cause it's all so silly and subjective.

polkablues said it best.  Nothing else to say, really.

©brad

i don't think the list is all that bad.

Pubrick

Quote from: Gamblourspikiness + rewatchability + Fight Club = delegitimatized.
i think the word ur looking for is INVALIDATED.

and yeah, fight club at 4th is pretty damn invalidating. seriously, who's even watched that in the last year? (not counting if it's ur first time watching it cos then ur just a cinematic idiot or too young to be on this site)
under the paving stones.