Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

Started by MacGuffin, May 05, 2007, 12:56:33 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on June 18, 2009, 08:02:29 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on June 18, 2009, 07:57:03 PM
I have no comment on Carey Mulligan or why Stefen picks this project (of all things) to disbelieve.

Because it sounds fucking stupid. Wall Street 2 starring Shia Lebeouf? At least Bad Lieutenant 2 isn't taking itself very seriously.

It's no more dumb than the original which tried to make serious actors out of Charlie Sheen and Darryl Hannah. Lebeouf has credibility issues because of his films, but I think he has more range and talent than Sheen.

Gold Trumpet

Bardem is officially out. Confirmed here:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/07/22/javier-bardem-wallstreet-markets-faces-streetwise.html

Good chance Josh Brolin could step into his role. Stay tuned.

Stefen

Good for Bardem. This can only end badly for him.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on July 22, 2009, 05:26:24 PM
Good for Bardem. This can only end badly for him.

You know, the script is getting good reviews, all the good principles of the first one are back because they believe in the project, but you are insistent it will be bad just because of Shia Lebeouf? The kid is an undeterminable factor because none of his previous roles prepare anyone to guess how he will do in this film. Stone has already said Shia will be a Charle Sheen-like contrast to Gekko and if that's true, Shia shouldn't have much problem overshooting Sheen's mid level performance.

Bardem passed because he's become in demand and a romantic comedy with Julia Roberts landed on his plate. He's going to take the money ventures while he still can.

Stefen

It would be terrible even if it didn't have Shia.

It's Wall Street 2.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Frank Langella set for 'Wall Street 2'
Actor joins LaBeouf, Douglas in Stone sequel
By MICHAEL FLEMING
Source: Variety

Frank Langella will join the cast of "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps," the Oliver Stone-directed sequel for 20th Century Fox.
Shia LaBeouf stars with Michael Douglas, who'll reprise his Gordon Gekko role. Josh Brolin is reportedly circling a part in the Allan Loeb-scripted drama as well.

Langella is in talks to play Lewis Zabel, an old-time broker who mentors LaBeouf's character, a young Wall Street broker. The mentor's fate plays a major part in the film's plot.

It's Langella's first role since his Oscar-nominated turn as Richard Nixon in "Frost/Nixon" in 2008.

He will next be seen starring with Cameron Diaz and James Marsden in Richard Kelly-directed thriller "The Box" and Andrew Jarecki's "All Good Things" with Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Ryan Gosling and Kirsten Dunst.

WME reps Langella. Stone and Edward R. Pressman are producing with Eric Kopeloff.

MacGuffin

Carey Mulligan joins 'Wall Street 2'
Josh Brolin also in talks for sequel to 1987 film
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Carey Mulligan is coming on board "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" to play Gordon Gekko's daughter.

Mulligan joins Michael Douglas (Gekko), Shia LaBeouf and Frank Langella in the sequel to the 1987 film, to which Josh Brolin is in talks to also join.

Mulligan's character is romantically linked to LaBeouf's, a young Wall Street broker on his way up.

Shooting to due to start September in New York.

Allan Loeb wrote the current script. Ed Pressman, Douglas and Eric Kopeloff are producing.

English-actress Mulligan has been gaining heat for her breakthrough performance in "An Education," which Sony Pictures Classics is releasing Oct. 9. While she has appeared in a bit part in Michael Mann's "Public Enemies" and has "Brothers" in the can, "Wall Street 2" is her first major studio role.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Susan Sarandon goes to 'Wall Street 2'
Actress to play LaBeouf's mother in Stone sequel
By MICHAEL FLEMING
Source: Variety

Susan Sarandon is negotiating to join the Oliver Stone-directed "Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps" for 20th Century Fox.

Sarandon will play the mother of a young Wall Street trader (Shia LaBeouf) who falls under the seductive influence of Gordon Gekko. Michael Douglas and Frank Langella also star. Production begins next month in New York.

The drama was scripted by Allan Loeb. Stone and Douglas produce with Edward R. Pressman and Eric Kopeloff.

Sarandon is currently shooting "You Don't Know Jack," the Barry Levinson-directed HBO biopic of Jack Kevorkian that stars Al Pacino and John Goodman. She'll next be seen in the Peter Jackson-directed "The Lovely Bones," starring with Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz and Stanley Tucci.

Stefen

I was bored and watched Wall Street last night and it wasn't as corny as I remembered. I actually liked it a lot. A lot more than I did the first time I saw it. It really captures the excess of the 80's the way a lot of the movies of that era couldn't.

This project could have potential as long as it's done for the right reasons.

The Gordon Gekko character is such a fun character. I wonder how they'll handle his incarceration.

Gold Trumpet

Confirmed actors:

(Vanessa Ferlito)

and

(Josh Brolin, obviously. He'll take on the main villian role)

Minor spoiler..........................

(cameo role for Charlie Sheen as Bud Fox)

Also, cover story courtesy of New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/08/movies/08stone.html?pagewanted=1&8dpc&_r=1

Alexandro

Quote from: ©brad on June 03, 2009, 08:57:53 AM
Yeah GT I kind of agree. The thing that worries me most is the idea of Gekko being "more sympathetic." I don't need or want to see him redeem himself. That would take all the fun out of his character.

Quote from: Alexandro on June 02, 2009, 04:58:19 PM
i really don't know what to think. sounds generic, but the original wall street is generic too. so who knows???

How is the original generic?

I haven't seen it in years but if I remember correctly, it has a generic plot that goes something like "hot shot rookie gets dream job with the devil himself who tears his naive view of the word to pieces", it has a standard female/ love interest, a kind of wise father who seems "weak" at the beginning for not being a "winner", etc...the whole film is composed of these generic archetypes. If you would hear the plot alone, it would sound boring. But the fact that is Oliver Stone behind the film let's you know it's going to be something much more interesting and interested in very different things than your standard "coming of age in the corporate world" movie. Something like that.

Gold Trumpet

I'm not a big fan of the original Wall Street, but I am sure the new one will be better than the original. I just hope the story warrants the new film. Stone was a fine filmmaker in 1987, but he hadn't developed into his own just yet. Platoon and Salvador were passion projects for Stone and he developed those scripts very well, but Wall Street feels lukewarm compared to those films. It feels like Talk Radio and Stone latching himself onto a simplistic story because he likes it. In Wall Street he saw the connection to his father and quickly took on the project and developed it.

He is latching himself onto this project, but he's resisted doing a sequel for 23 years and the fact he's very willing to do this film now in his career is meaningful. He has other projects all around him so doesn't have to, but Stone is a much better filmmaker now and can make this to be a decent film. I just hope it's more than a good thriller.

Gold Trumpet

Really liking the focus of where this is going.

Exclusive: Oliver Stone On Wall Street 2
How the economic crisis changed it

Empire Magazine

We talked to Oliver Stone recently about his new film, Wall Street 2, and he had a few tidbits to share about the film, and how recent real-life events might affect it. Here's our mini-interview:

So is Gordon Gekko still working on Wall Street?
"No! He's an outsider. He's been in prison and he has to get back in. He has a different motive."

Do you feel that the first Wall Street accidentally helped to contribute to the financial crisis?
"It's true. A lot of people have told me that they went to Wall Street because of Wall Street. That's ironic, isn't it? I did think that bubble would pop back then; I was shocked by the continuing cycle of wealth through the 90s and the 2000s. It's a condition that's not over. But I don't feel guilty.

"The movie, if you really look at it, is clear. I mean, it does come down on the side of morality. And I do believe in financial responsibility. My father was a stockbroker for 40 years and I respected him. He was an honest man. Wall Street has an important role to play, and it can be a very constructive role in financing, in new business, in financing state bonds and pension plans. But the speculation is the mother of all evils. There have to be regulations. And we're not getting these regulations in place."

Will the Bernie Madoff scandal feature?
"No, Madoff is not a player in this movie. Madoff I consider to a be a sociopath; he was a crook running a Ponzi scheme. This is legal. What's going on now is legal. It's legal robbery."

You went to see Michael Moore's new movie last night. Were you interested in what he had to say about the recent financial crisis because of Wall Street 2?
"Part of the reason I went to see it was because I wanted not to repeat things. But his film is a documentary, and we're doing a dramatic story. We have different priorities: we're telling a story about human beings who are interlocked into a situation during the crisis. We hope it reflects what was going on.

"We deal with the big banks. Some of our actors are playing big bankers. We deal with the Federal Reserve Board. We show two meetings inside the Federal Reserve Board. But we're trying to show the the stakes in dramatic terms, so people understand. It's a very tough subject. The first Wall Street was not an easy movie, because it had a lot of technical detail, but I think we kept the emotions in there. The same thing is true about Wall Street Two. It has to be an exciting movie."

Wall Street Two starts shooting any day now, so look out for it late next year or early 2011.

Helen O'Hara

Gold Trumpet

Gold Trumpet