The Pineapple Express

Started by MacGuffin, November 29, 2006, 12:42:27 AM

Pozer

SiliasRuby

I really enjoyed this even though it felt a bit awkward at the diner scene. Maybe it's because I have some friends like that who make more out of something that doesn't have enough substance as you think it does. The action was spectacular, especially the scene in red's house. Danny McBride is awesome!!!!!!
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gamblour.

I was honestly surprised that I had so much fun watching this. I think this film is really about being stoned so much as what would happen if you just dropped two stoners into an action movie. A lot of it, and this didn't occur to me just now and it's kinda weird, reminds me of Last Action Hero, in a way. The way they fire the guns and they land punches and bullets hit, it seems like it shouldn't be happening, but it's working in a fantastic kind of way. But forget that Last Action Hero comparison, the movie is really funny and not heavy handed with the pot humor. Munchies, digressions, etc are left to the background of the action plot, which serves the film well.

The first five minutes were a bit of a bust. Poor Hader, I normally love him but he just acted drunk. I will have to see if the cross joint is actually possible.
WWPTAD?

diggler

yea this film had a lot to prove after the dud of an opening scene. i was surprised at how franco played saul, going for a more awkward lonely stoner than a cool wisecracking one. i wasn't prepared for the overall mood this went for, but ended up liking the film better for it in the end.

spoilers:

did anyone else think of raising arizona during the fight between dale, saul and red?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

Quote from: ddiggler on August 17, 2008, 09:25:33 PM
spoilers:

did anyone else think of raising arizona during the fight between dale, saul and red?

I could see that. I felt it was a cross between that Goodman/Cage fight and a couple of the fights from Kill Bill (The Bride/Vernita Green, The Bride/Elle Driver).
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

For months, I've been saying "There's no way this movie could be as good as that trailer" so I went in with low expectations.

I enjoyed it a good deal.  Obviously, it's no break-thru in comedy and I'd probably only ever watch it one or two more times, but still... a good time was had.

I think too many people (not you guys, oddly enough) are picking this apart too much.  It's totally an 80s whacky adventure with better characters.

McBride takes the cake, of course... I don't get how it took this long after ATRG for him to get more recognition.

hauntedtony

Fernando

Quote from: El Duderino on August 09, 2008, 05:13:27 AM
...and parked right next to my Corrolla is a beautiful Astin Martin. James Franco is getting inside and nudges his head. "Sup?" he said.

We asked him if he wanted to smoke a quick bowl with us in my car. Of course, he declined, but it was a good time.

From imdb.

Franco Turns Down Free Drugs
20 August 2008 9:01 AM, PDT

Actor James Franco is frequently offered drugs by fans who confuse him with his pot-smoking character in stoner comedy Pineapple Express.

Franco and funnyman Seth Rogen play two drug-users on the run from gun-toting villains in the new film.

And though Rogen has admitted he is a regular drug user, Franco insists he stuns fans by refusing to smoke marijuana with them.

He says, "Already, I have had people come up to me in cafes and say, 'Hey, you're James Franco, right? Hey, I can't get a hold of my guy - do you know where I can buy some good weed?'

"Even in class (at UCLA) I've had someone come up to me and be, 'Hey! What's up, man?' and give me a handshake and palm me a little bag of weed.

"I haven't done drugs, I haven't even smoked pot, since high school."

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

cinemanarchist

My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

Quote from: squints on August 21, 2008, 10:34:14 AM
Quote from: Franco on August 20, 2008, 05:19:59 PM

"I haven't done drugs, I haven't even smoked pot, since high school."

uhhh....bullshit

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=770

Holy shit. That was hilarious. .....Soderbergh Period was indeed the best part.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Stefen

I watched this wanting to hate it to legitimize my claim that this crew is played out, but I thought this was funny as shit.

Danny McBride was the best part. I hope he makes more movies with F & G's guys and isn't just a DGG dude. It was more a collection of funny scenes surrounded by a plot that is too ambitious for it's own good. It fails as a plot driven film, but ultimately succeeds as a 2008 version of Cheech & Chong. It being an ambitious hybrid of many genres may have more to do with DGG mixing with Rogen and Goldberg than anything.

10 times funnier that other recent stoner flicks like Harold & Kumar. This was legitimately funny and wasn't just putting scenes together that are supposed to be funny, but aren't.

Also, the montage where they're smoking weed with those school kids they just dealed to is one of the best montages I've seen in awhile.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on August 07, 2008, 10:28:40 AM
It was more amusing than funny.

Pretty much agree with this. It was enjoyable, but no Superbad. Less stoner than I thought it would be, and the characters are likable with their bromance, but it was pretty thin on a storyline that that should have given the characters more to do than just keep running.

Quote from: Stefen on October 26, 2008, 11:15:26 PMIt fails as a plot driven film, but ultimately succeeds as a 2008 version of Cheech & Chong.

Funny you say this because I thought, "This is Dumb & Dumber's plot with Cheech & Chong."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

john

I finally watched this. Being a DGG fan and consistently enjoying the Apatow crews output (sometimes begrudgingly), I'm surprised it took me this long. I missed it in theaters, and my Blu-Ray player was inoperable for the last month, meaning the Blu-Ray of it I had purchased only managed to collect dust and taunt me until last night.

I really enjoyed it. After all the talk about the violence, I actually thought it was pretty restrained in that department. It was a bit silly, but not careless or needlessly cruel either.

I was surprised how many of Green's fingerprints were on this. I kind of expected Rogen to overshadow what Green could bring to the project - but that worry turned out to be unfounded... there some really delicate, natural moments in the films that were totally unexpected and entirely appreciated. I'm glad to see Kevin Corrigan turning up in these films, too.

Basically, it reaffirmed that DGG is the luckiest director alive. A rock solid filmography, friends with Malick, and raking in Apatow funny money without compromising his worth.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.