The Simpsons Movie

Started by MacGuffin, April 01, 2006, 07:25:07 AM

picolas

handy refence for best or best-known episode(s) (from imdb)

Matt Groening - Colonel Homer, Some Enchanted Evening
James L. Brooks - technically none
Al Jean - 'Round Springfield, Lisa's Pony, The Way We Was
Brian Scully - Sunday, Cruddy Sunday, Lost Our Lisa
Ian Maxtone-Graham - The Trouble With Trillions, The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson
George Meyer - Bart vs. Thanksgiving, Homer the Heretic
David Mirkin - Deep Space Homer
Mike Reiss - 'Round Springfield, Lisa's Pony, The Way We Was
Matt Selman - Simpsons Bible Stories, They Saved Lisa's Brain
John Swartzwelder - Bart's Comet, Bart Gets an Elephant, Itchy and Scratchyland
Jon Vitti - Mr. Plow, Cape Feare

David Silverman - Homie The Clown, The Way We Was, Mother Simpson

several aren't writing like they used to (eg. Swartwelder), but if the imdb credits are right, some have been brought out of Simpsons retirement (eg. Mirkin).

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 05, 2006, 05:49:22 PM
[THE SIMPSONS MOVIE is written by Matt Groening, James L. Brooks, Al Jean, Brian Scully, Ian Maxtone-Graham, George Meyer, David Mirkin, Mike Reiss, Matt Selman, John Swartzwelder, and Jon Vitti. In related news, Reuters is reporting that David Silverman, co-director of Pixar's MONSTERS, INC., director of many SIMPSONS episodes (and now the series' "supervising director") is helming the movie.

in the original simpsons movie thread, found here i speculated about returning writers..

Quote from: Pubrick on February 10, 2004, 04:07:07 AM
Quote from: MacGuffinAl and I and five other veteran writers of the show are currently writing "The Simpsons" movie.
if i knew the other 5 writers we could deduce a basic plot or at the very least, an idea. Al Jean and Mike Reiss are a fairly solid pair, so it looks promising. the last thing they did together was the Shary Bobbins episode in season 8. but jean's solo contribution since season 12 has been  :yabbse-undecided:

it looks like shoe-ins for the other spots would hav to meet the criteria of being around in the good ole days, and to hav returned/still be interested in the show..
- John Swartzwelder is the obvious choice,. if he's not involved at a major level something is wrong.
- jon vitti, seasoned veteran of classics like Mr Plow, Cape Feare, and  Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily.. recently returned to contribute sum of the most decent episodes of season 14. he could be in.
- sam simon used to collaborate with jean and reiss.
- David X. Cohen.

my wishlist for the others would have to include Greg Daniels & Dan McGrath, who are responsible for 5 of the best high-concept episodes in the show's history (Bart Sells His Soul, Treehouse of Horror V - Time & Punishment, Homer Bad Man, Lisa's Wedding (!!!), etc). but they hav been uninvolved for a long time, so nuts to that idea.  more likely would be..

Ken Keeler, one of the most consistently great writers they've ever had and he could return after having done such a great job on Futurama in such episodes as:
- Godfellas, pure genius, we learn that "when God does something right, u won't be sure he's done anything at all".
- Time Keeps on Slipping, time.. keeps on slipping. 
- The Devils Hands are Idle Playthings, series finale.
and his simps work is among the best of all time
- A Star is Burns, the film festival and Critic crossover episode
- El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, mexican chilli and johnny cash as coyote.
- Two Bad Neighbours, george bush sr. moves in across the road.

anyway, along with Jim Reardon to direct, if these ppl came together the movie could not fail.. expect zany new characters, and pray for a return to form. yep i've thought about this before. and i'm excited.

i'm glad at least a couple of my dream team are onboard. silverman is a good director.. i still hope for the best.
under the paving stones.

picolas

this isn't going to be the final golden episode.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Derek237

picolas

the evolution of shitty simpsons began with sort of dumb stories, then came bad dialogue, then horrible jokes, and now crappy physics (and minute-long couch gags).

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on November 12, 2006, 08:55:25 PM
New Trailer here.

that wasn't so bad after the title.

i would like to think they are acknowledging how hard it's gonna be to make a decent film. in that sense the gag becomes a brutal understatement.
under the paving stones.

diggler

not funny

i was hoping this would redeem 7 years of shit, oh well.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

RegularKarate

While I didn't really like that trailer either, I think it's hilarious how EVERYONE is now all "OH CRAP! The movie's gonna suck!" based on nothing.
This is still a teaser (one with a bad gag) and contains no scenes from the movie.. the movie could still be good.

Ravi

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 13, 2006, 01:37:46 PM
the movie could still be good.

"It's just a little airborne, its still good, its still good!"

"It's gone."

Given the last 9 years of The Simpsons, I have very little faith that the movie will be any better.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Ravi on November 13, 2006, 01:52:07 PM
"It's just a little airborne, its still good, its still good!"

"It's gone."

Given the last 9 years of The Simpsons, I have very little faith that the movie will be any better.

I was thinking of that exact quote when I wrote that.

anyway... the recent Simpsons episodes are lazy... the people who still watch it just do it because "oh, it's Sunday, time to watch Simpsons"... nobody ever says it's good and I doubt they would actually pay to go see a Simpsons movie because it's not a part of thier routine to go out to the theater to see the Simpsons so the writers will have to actually make an effort to make the movie good enough for people to want to see it. 

I don't have that much faith in the movie being good either, but I still think it will at least be better than the recent episodes (which I've actually finally stopped watching... it's like watching an ex-fiance doped up, dancing at a cheap strip-club)

Ravi

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 13, 2006, 02:07:48 PM
I still think it will at least be better than the recent episodes (which I've actually finally stopped watching... it's like watching an ex-fiance doped up, dancing at a cheap strip-club)

I try to watch the Halloween episodes, which allow more room for the crazy stuff, even if they aren't as good as previous Halloween episodes.  And I usually catch one or two episodes a season.

Fox, please bring back the quality of the Sunday night block of Simpsons/In Living Color/Married...With Children.  Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad/War at Home just ain't cuttin' it.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 13, 2006, 02:07:48 PM
it's like watching an ex-fiance doped up, dancing at a cheap strip-club)

Stay out of my diary.

But yeah, the very fact that they're even making a Simpsons movie now is just the last little flail of desperation before the whole thing finally drowns in the sink.  It's like an unhappy couple that should've gotten divorced years ago trying to save their marriage by having a kid.  A few years down the road the relationship will still be in the shitter, and now you've got this ugly, disappointing child that nobody wants or loves as a permanent memento of your unhappiness.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Another Teaser (in Windows Media)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks