Collateral

Started by Myxo, April 21, 2004, 06:36:41 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: kotteYeah, I read in AC, all the scenes outside and in the cab were HD...the rest in 35mm.

All scenes outside and inside the cab....? That's the entire film.

I don't get what you explaining.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: kotteYeah, I read in AC, all the scenes outside and in the cab were HD...the rest in 35mm.

All scenes outside and inside the cab....? That's the entire film.

I don't get what you explaining.

Okay, I haven't seen the film but I guess they mean all the scenes outside (streets etc) and in the cab are in HD...the scenes indoors are 35mm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I got from the article.

Ghostboy

Mann has said that 80% of the movie was digital. The majority of the cab scenes used this new camera called the Vipercam...most of the other digital stuff was accomplished with the HDW-900 (Lucas/Rodriguez model).

Watching the film, the two club scenes were the only ones I noticed as being shot on film. Which is probably about 20% of the movie, so that makes sense.

I think the movie looks fantastic. Mann's put HD to its best use -- it never looks like film, almost never looks like video. It's a new animal.

Chest Rockwell

So I saw a sneak preview of this Thursday. It might just be my favorite Mann film to date. Performances were brilliant. It looked great (which I see has already been covered). It left me tense during most of the movie and yet the atmosphere was so moodily chilly at the same time. Very, very nice.

edison

After seeing this film, which i loved, i now want to say that this film takes place the night before Heat begins, I feel like DeNiro is on that same train and at the next stop he will get off and go steal that ambulence, am i just weird or does that seem like something that kinda makes some sense?

Ravi

MILD SPOILERS

Quite a tense, attention-grabbing film.  Jamie Foxx's performance here is excellent, as the cab driver who is forced to drive around an assassin.  When he suddenly starts acting confident in that night club scene where he pretends to be Vincent it is completely convincing.  Tom Cruise's coolness is great for his character.  The end was a little by-the-numbers, and Tom Cruise does some superhuman things that were out of place here.

The little dialogue scenes here are wonderful.  Like the scene with Jada Pinkett-Smith in the beginning and with Jamie's mother.  But seeing that Jada's character was played by Jada, we know that she is going to figure into the plot later on.

MacGuffin

*SPOILERS*

Quote from: RaviMILD SPOILERS
When he suddenly starts acting confident in that night club scene where he pretends to be Vincent it is completely convincing.

Why, after his constant whining about 'I can't do it, I can't do it,' did you suddenly believe he grew some balls sitting at that table? I can understand him repeating Vincent's words, but to all of a sudden 'toughen up' even before that seemed way too against Max's character.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

SPOILERS

Mac, I thought it was convincing because he knew that he had to be Vincent to get out of the club alive.  If he had stayed nervous and jittery the guy would have suspected something was up.  Like the story of the mother who lifts a car to save a child  :)

MacGuffin

SPOILERS

Quote from: Ravi
Mac, I thought it was convincing because he knew that he had to be Vincent to get out of the club alive.  If he had stayed nervous and jittery the guy would have suspected something was up.  Like the story of the mother who lifts a car to save a child  :)

I understand why he did it, but I thought he was too 'together' (and I didn't think was 'being' Vincent, just using his words) that it was not something I believed Max's character had in him; taking his glasses off and suddenly being laid back and cool.

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

Quote from: MacGuffinSPOILERS

Quote from: Ravi

I understand why he did it, but I thought he was too 'together' (and I didn't think was 'being' Vincent, just using his words) that it was not something I believed Max's character had in him; taking his glasses off and suddenly being laid back and cool.

I think it kind of goes back to what his bother said, about having to hold a gun to his head for him to do something.  Max's life is a story of someone who doesn't have the motivation to step up and achieve.  I think when he's pressed, life for death, he finally does something.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

fulty

Continue Spoilers

Quote from: SHAFTRI think when he's pressed, life for death, he finally does something.

I think you nailed it.
Vincent groomed him nicely with the improvisation lecture at the jazz club.

But I agree with Mac that Max didn't have it in him, to that degree.
He didn't completely fool the drug king.
Having him followed to the night club restored the credibility.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

bonanzataz

this was a very good movie. it was even better on the cinerama screen in seattle. get this. since there's only one giant screen, the bathrooms all have speakers in them playing the sound so you don't miss anything. well... you don't miss any of the dialogue.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Myxo

Wow, thats a cool idea.

Do they play the sound from the main theater then? Or is there only one theater?

Ghostboy

Quote from: bonanzatazsince there's only one giant screen

Myxo