To The Wonder

Started by Fernando, September 19, 2010, 09:54:09 PM

Alexandro

Quote from: ©brad on December 20, 2012, 05:30:15 PM
People who complain about hipsters are more annoying than hipsters themselves.

I might just steal that shit an post it on facebook.

HeywoodRFloyd

Well my hipster argument lies upon the idea of diminishing substance by making a film solely with a string of unrealistic evocative images one after the other (most occurring in magic hour) capturing a sun flare here and there, preferably one in a wheat field (the hand must bristle along the wheat). The camera must be preferably hand held, most of the shots must be unsubtle and nonsensical tracking shots of the rear of a person walking out to the horizon. No one barely speaking to each other, but being natural poets inside their psyche. And don't forget about the swirling and twirling.

It's beautiful to look at, but it's also so unrealistic and overused to create an illusion of substance and meaning, I couldn't help myself but coining it 'hipster'.

Maybe it lost it's value and emotional impact as pete said, now that everyone is riffing off it and since most likely Malick isn't concerned or even aware with this style being overused, and by default his films aren't as unique as they once were, and are defaulted into being cliche and even the creator of this style is being subjected to this cliche. Is it his fault? I don't know, but every filmmaker usually tries to reinvent themselves..

Am I the only one that finds this to be a problem? I'm getting bashed for it on this thread, which I think is completely unnecessary and actually something that really needs to be discussed rather than sitting down and eating the same meal everyday without objection.

jenkins

I'm even more confused now 'cause your original statement was
Quotelike a hipster made the film.
I'm just looking forward to the cinematography now, that's all.
but now you're saying the cinematography was tied to the hipster compfdk;add

Hell, even I'm bored with this post, and I'm still writing it. It wasn't your criticism people objected to, it was the way you packaged it into a stock phrase that was unpackable from the exterior, for reasons that are being actively demonstrated.

classical gas

What the hell is a hipster?  And how do I know if I've come in contact with one?

For instance, if I were to shove one of a cliff, what might be the result? 

jenkins

My fav use of hipster

Leaving this as an inside joke for the hipsters (aka pimps)

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on December 20, 2012, 08:59:01 PM
I'm even more confused now 'cause your original statement was
Quotelike a hipster made the film.
I'm just looking forward to the cinematography now, that's all.
but now you're saying the cinematography was tied to the hipster compfdk;add

The cinematography statement was referring Lubezki's brilliance, and how much I hold him in high regard.

jenkins

Sure, sure, I get it now. You're talking about the arrangement of the images and their overall context. There's some parallel here between the 'hipster' criticism and the moviemaking, but fuck that. Seriously, no one else posts here, right.

Alexandro

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on December 20, 2012, 08:28:01 PM
Well my hipster argument lies upon the idea of diminishing substance by making a film solely with a string of unrealistic evocative images one after the other (most occurring in magic hour) capturing a sun flare here and there, preferably one in a wheat field (the hand must bristle along the wheat). The camera must be preferably hand held, most of the shots must be unsubtle and nonsensical tracking shots of the rear of a person walking out to the horizon. No one barely speaking to each other, but being natural poets inside their psyche. And don't forget about the swirling and twirling.

It's beautiful to look at, but it's also so unrealistic and overused to create an illusion of substance and meaning, I couldn't help myself but coining it 'hipster'.

Maybe it lost it's value and emotional impact as pete said, now that everyone is riffing off it and since most likely Malick isn't concerned or even aware with this style being overused, and by default his films aren't as unique as they once were, and are defaulted into being cliche and even the creator of this style is being subjected to this cliche. Is it his fault? I don't know, but every filmmaker usually tries to reinvent themselves..

Am I the only one that finds this to be a problem? I'm getting bashed for it on this thread, which I think is completely unnecessary and actually something that really needs to be discussed rather than sitting down and eating the same meal everyday without objection.

Well, in the context of films in general, I don't know. But in terms of Terrence Malick's work, I think so far he has been surprisingly good at honing that particular style and keeping it fresh. I do feel that the ending of Tree of Life (in the beach) was pretty close to ruin everything, and that felt weird. He walks a very fine line where it could all very easily fall into self parody. But so far so good.

Jeremy Blackman

Here's the trailer again (a higher res one), in case people missed it a few pages back.

Apparently modage wasn't exaggerating when he described it as "just scene after scene of the actors swirling around each other in a field, in the house, gesturing, touching each others faces, smiling."

Ravi

In trailer form it comes across like a perfume ad or something, but on the big screen, with some context, I'm willing to give this film the benefit of the doubt. Modage's review doesn't give me hope, though. Maybe this movie should be called "Pretty People At Magic Hour."

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

Better already! If the film has more incredible sudden contrasts in energy like the sudden spinning glass ball cut to the waterfall, like the boy tapping the window making the universe explode in the Tree of Life trailer and several moments in the film, then I really don't think I care about the lack of plot. I just want Malick to show me the roller-coaster raptures of life through completely off the hinges swirling and twirling. More more more!

It might be time to start thinking of these films as dance films instead.

Drenk

What she says at the beginning. It's prettier in french.

I love that feeling. I don't know where I go. I open my eyes...in order to climb the steps. To the wonder. (It's more At the wonder in french, actually.)

Ascension.

Frederico Fellini

At 1:29.... Just casually twirling in the supermarket... LOL

No, but that trailer definitely looks A LOT better than the first 2. I'm still gonna just wait for the Blu-ray though.. I prefer to watch my Malick ALONE, in the comfort of my home.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Drenk

You end up alone at the theater anyway when you watch the movie at the good time. People are dancing toward the exit. It's cool.
Ascension.