John Malkovich Is Kubrick

Started by MacGuffin, June 17, 2003, 10:27:54 AM

MacGuffin

Source: Hollywood Reporter

John Malkovich has signed to star in the comedy "Color Me Kubrick," the true story of a man who conned his way into London's high life by pretending to be reclusive director Stanley Kubrick, according to Hamburg's Film Board, the financier backing the picture. The script for "Kubrick" will come from the late director's longtime personal assistant, Anthony Frewin. Brian Cook, a Kubrick crew member on "Eyes Wide Shut," will direct the feature, which Studio Hamburg is producing. Billed as a cinema verite laffer, "Color Me Kubrick" is based on real-life events during the shooting of "Eyes Wide Shut" in London from 1998-99, when a man pretending to be the legendary director got into many of the city's most exclusive parties, restaurants and nightclubs. Playing on his willing victims' star-struck desire to believe, he was successful despite bearing no resemblance to Kubrick. Hamburg's Film Board will co-finance the low-budget feature to the tune of €900,000 ($1.1 million). Malkovich is repped by WMA. (Scott Roxborough)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I think I remember hearing about this (the real life case, not the movie) back when it happened. That's damn funny, in any case. And don't forget, Stanley Tucci is Kubrick, too, in the Peter Sellers bio.

children with angels

"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

ono

It's like ... a cross between Being John Malkovich ... and some other film I don't know of.  :-D

Duck Sauce

This is the most interesting idea for somebody who likes movies to be made into a movie about movies

Pubrick

Quote from: Duck SauceThis is the most interesting idea for somebody who likes movies to be made into a movie about movies
yep.
under the paving stones.

Fernando

Quote from: GhostboyI think I remember hearing about this (the real life case, not the movie) back when it happened. That's damn funny, in any case. And don't forget, Stanley Tucci is Kubrick, too, in the Peter Sellers bio.

Here's the story:

http://www.suntimes.co.za/1999/03/28/lifestyle/life02.htm

Sleuth

I like how as time goes on, Kubrick's legend grows and grows and I hope it never stops
I like to hug dogs

mutinyco

It's like a cross between Catch Me if You Can and Being John Malkovich. It's funny cause I wrote a fictional script about another well-known auteur earlier this year that had a similar premise. I don't know whether this is a disaster or a blessing in disguise...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

cowboykurtis

this sounds like a HUNK of shit -- kubrick's assistant must have the imagination of a rock -- not even a pet rock. pet rocks are quite imaginative -- i have one.
...your excuses are your own...

Sleuth

Well it IS based on real life events
I like to hug dogs

picolas

which colour is a Kubrick?

Keener

Quote from: Roger WatersAny colour you like...
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

MacGuffin

The Z Review has pics of John Malkovich filming in London:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

pfft, looks nothing like kubrick...

Quote from: picolas;which colour is a Kubrick?
darkyellowgreengray? nah. purple or sumthin'.