Mike Leigh

Started by godardian, May 12, 2003, 05:06:15 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: hacksparrowI get the idea that the rest of his work is closer to those than Naked but can anyone recommend anything else?

Jesus Christ, I haven't been kicked in the cinematic nuts like that in a long fucking time!
i don't know what the hell he was thinking when he made Naked, but it's become clear he'll never top it for sheer f*ing brilliance. my god man, that movie is just the grimiest.

as for recommendations, avoid Career Girls if u can.
under the paving stones.

Redlum

I think I've said it somewhereelse but you have to see "Nuts In May".
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

soixante

I saw Naked on cable the other night, first time I'd seen it since 1994.  I had only seen it once, but it stayed in my brain.  My second viewing only confirmed my first impression -- this is one of the best films of the 90's.  David Thewlis should have won the Oscar.

I actually like Career Girls more than Secrets and Lies.  Life is Sweet is one of his best, as is Topsy-Turvy.  All or Nothing is worth seeing.  I haven't seen Vera Drake yet.
Music is your best entertainment value.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: soixanteI saw Naked on cable the other night, first time I'd seen it since 1994.  I had only seen it once, but it stayed in my brain.  My second viewing only confirmed my first impression -- this is one of the best films of the 90's.  David Thewlis should have won the Oscar.

He seriously should have... but he did win Cannes.  

It really is one of the best films of the 90s.  And I'd have to say among the most underrated.  Naked has never been one of those "You HAVE to see this movie" movies.  It did reasonably well in the US from what I can see.  $1.7 million, in 1994 dollars, isn't bad for a British indie.  My guess is it came out too early and was forgotten when the Pulp Fiction wave hit and carried every subsequent quasi-noir with it.  If it had come out in late 94, it would have received its due audience on video, like Shallow Grave.  I certainly feel the poorer having waited this long to see it.

Why is Criterion dragging ass with the DVD for this?  It's time to start writing some letters.

Pubrick

Quote from: soixantethis is one of the best films of the 90's.
Quote from: hacksparrowIt really is one of the best films of the 90s.
it works out to be third.. http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?p=116735#116735
under the paving stones.

soixante

I think David Thewlis' performance in Naked is the best of the 90's, at least by an actor in a leading role.

Naked probably would have made more money in 1995, when depressing movies like Leaving Las Vegas and Dead Man Walking did well at the box office.  Naked also had the misfortune to come out in late 1993, when high-profile movies like Remains of the Day, Schindler's List, In The Name of the Father, The Piano, Short Cuts and Philadelphia were competing for critical acclaim and Oscar nominations.
Music is your best entertainment value.

hedwig

this morning at around 3:00 AM, i watched "Naked." (i'..mmm. really tired.. i havn't slept since 11:00 AM Sunday morning  :()

Mike Leigh is quickly becoming one of my favorite filmmakers. i see one of his movies and i'm immediately compelled to seek out his entire oeuvre. sheer genius. so far i've seen Secrets and Lies (which is one of my favorite movies) , and Naked. both are brilliant, dealing with very different subject matter, but converging thematically: Leigh courageously shines a bright spotlight on the powerful human desire, or need, for community and connection.

"i've got an infinite number of places to go, the problem is somewhere to stay..." - johnny, "Naked"

maybe i'm reaching a bit, because they are somewhat polar opposites tonally, one striking an almost uplifting chord (secrets and lies), the other journeying deep beneath the grimiest, filthiest, disturbing underbelly of the human condition, the combatting forces of soul-searching and self-loathing. it's been said a million times before but it's worth saying again: david thewlis delivers one of the most powerful and immersive performances ever recorded on film. i just did a search and apparently "immersive" is not a real word, so what i mean is that thewlis seems to inhabit the character's spirit entirely, there seems to be absolutely no distinction between the man playing the role and the role he's playing.

next up, "All or Nothing."

squints

this thread has almost inspired me to drop 22 bucks on this apparent gem that's been staring me in the face everytime i walk down a certain isle at the video store...sounds like its worth the blind buy?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: squints on January 24, 2006, 12:35:47 AM
this thread has almost inspired me to drop 22 bucks on this apparent gem that's been staring me in the face everytime i walk down a certain isle at the video store...sounds like its worth the blind buy?

Worth a FULL-PRICE blind buy.

Since the marquee thread is locked, I would like to suggest:  "Creating Mike Leigh Fans One Naked Viewing At A Time"

samsong

Naked's fantastic but let's not forget Secrets & Lies.

Alethia

i agree, naked is a masterpiece but i prefer secrets & lies

squints

is there a secrets & lies criterion?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

hedwig

samsong

Quote from: eward on January 25, 2006, 11:41:33 PM
i agree, naked is a masterpiece but i prefer secrets & lies

fo sho cuh.
there IS a super cheap Fox DVD.. the quality's great, but it's barebones.  but it's also retailed at $9.99 so it's a steal, easily.

Alethia

yeah i actually got mine for like 6 bucks, sumpin like that