That's My Bush!

Started by Jeremy Blackman, June 06, 2014, 05:36:02 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Has anyone else seen this show? It resurfaced in my memory today for no particular reason. In college I happened to catch a marathon of all the episodes on Comedy Central. I believe they just dumped it that way in lieu of airing it like an actual TV show.

Basically, it's Matt Stone and Trey Parker's George Bush sitcom, structured exactly like (and a rather precise parody of) your typical family sitcom. Complete with catch phrases, the wacky neighbor, themed episodes, etc. etc. It's not a masterpiece, but it's just such an odd fact that it ever existed on television, that it's worth sampling.

It's both deeply inappropriate and somewhat sympathetic of the president (casting him as a kind of lovable oaf), both a result of it being pre-9/11.

The first episode is on YouTube. It's cropped in a weird way, but still watchable:

The theme song:

More info:

http://www.salon.com/2011/03/29/10_year_time_capsule_thats_my_bush/

http://splitsider.com/2013/10/thats-my-bush-inside-matt-stone-and-trey-parkers-short-lived-presidential-parody/

Reel

I watched this week to week when it came out, you're right, it's such an oddity. I could never grasp exactly what Matt and Trey were trying to convey with this idea, but I think I'd be able to read the subtext now. This was when they were singlehandedly turning comedy central into a corporation and had free reign to do whatever they wanted, and I think it just made them laugh that they could pull this off. Unfortunately not the rest of us so much, but it had its moments. I have a feeling a lot of coke was involved in the writing process.

Funny you bring this up, because I was wondering if we had a Bush thread and this would be as appropriate a place as any to put this. James Adomian is mostly known on Comedy Bang Bang for his flawless Jesse Ventura impression, but last week he brought out our old Pal Georgey from the toolbox and did one of the funniest things I've ever heard on a podcast. I don't even want to spoil it, you just have to listen. It starts at 59:00 and goes on for about 45 minutes. Listen for as long as you want, it's funny pretty much anywhere you slice it.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/shed-busting/

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, it's odd. I think the first time they revealed the catch phrase it almost broke my brain. I love how they have the studio audience going along with it. What it lacks in actual intelligent political commentary, it makes up for in parody skills.

I guess our actual Bush thread is here, but this thread is probably more appropriate for Bush impressions etc.

Anyway I probably should check out more Earwolf podcasts. Maybe make a list of your favorites in the podcast thread (if you feel so inclined).

polkablues

The problem with this show was that there's very little separation between a great parody of bad sitcoms and an actual bad sitcom. They end up fundamentally identical.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

No disagreement there. But it's sort of great for as long as the novelty lasts.

forgot all about this. holy jesus what a crazy nightmare.
"there is a fetus riding our dog!"