Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining)

Started by Sleepless, June 14, 2019, 10:41:47 AM

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Robyn

Thought the thread title was a joke. What the hell...

Mike Flanagan has made some good things lately, but this looks bad.

Alethia

King must be thrilled with the direction this took.

Robyn

Oh, so Stephen King wrote the sequel? I knew that!

Spoiler: ShowHide
 :yabbse-sad:

Sleepless

context.

Director Mike Flanagan revealed (via BloodyDisgusting) that these are all recreations and not just a redux of footage form Kubrick's film. The only image taken directly from Kubrick's work is the shot of the bloody elevators.

Flanagan said his "Doctor Sleep" adaptation was made with "the full support of the Kubrick estate, who were willing to provide us with his designs."

The director added that "Doctor Sleep" will serve as an adaptation of King's novel that exists in "the same cinematic universe" as Kubrick's movie. Given that King has long been outspoken about his dislike of Kubrick's version of his beloved story, bridging the gap between the two visions of the story doesn't sound like an easy task.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

Okay. But Gerald's Game by Flanagan is probably the best King adaptation I've seen.
Ascension.

csage97

The first 10 or 20 seconds of the trailer reminded me of why I hate modern trailers. Single note plays on piano. Single note plays again. Again. Silence, and ... LOUD MUSIC. Trailers that come from these trailer farm companies are so bogus .... I remember seeing the Charlie's Angel's trailer when I went to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and every "pause, punchline" was so predictable and annoying.

It was refreshing to see PTA's sneak preview trailers back when Phantom Thread was coming out.

Something Spanish

Movie really impressed me, was all in from the opening scene till the last. Rare to see such an intriguing story contain this many disparate elements and make it work in the interest of horror. For a 2 1/2 hour movie the thing was so immersive I didn't notice its length

Alethia

It was more or less what I expected. The middle hour or so, when it's SPOILERS just about Danny in recovery, using his special gifts to quietly aid the dying out of fear/panic and into peace/acceptance in their final moments, cross cutting with the daily travails of the True Knot - featuring one highly disturbing murder scene - was pretty engrossing and left me wondering why the whole movie wasn't just that END SPOILERS. But when it leans on Kubrick - and it goes hard in that direction in the last half-hour - I felt it mostly didn't work. The third act is a huge missed opportunity that relies too heavily on cheap fan service, and winds up making many of the same sentimental mistakes as the finale of Hill House. Flanagan just can't resist his inner sap. The last shot in particular is laughably bad. And the cinematography on the whole is ugly, shot through a glossy digital sheen that screams television.

That said, I still recommend it for what it does right. Overall I'd give it a Gentleman's Six.

Something Spanish

I get your criticisms, for me the Kubrick homages were just the cherry on top of an excellent sprawling story. I love how the gift of shining is expanded on, they give it an interesting lore that makes sense in the context of this story. and you're right eward, that middle section dealing with death and substance recovery while the True Knot storyline runs parallel is probably the strongest section of the movie, only thing is I didn't feel the dip in quality you mention, rather hung on when the real story kicks in. the story proper, like the inciting incident, doesn't even come until probably an hour plus in, the movie really takes its time developing Danny, Rosie, and Abra. And Rebecca Ferguson as Rosie the Hat completely blew my mind, I was fucking putty in that performance's hand. The perfect blend of innocuous demeanor with sinister intentions. Not really a show watcher so can't imagine sitting through Hill House, but Flanagan's TV talents certainly carry over magnificently to the big screen. A solid 8/B+ for me. Did not expect to respond this strongly to this movie, you never know what will happen when walking into a theater.