Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

Pedro

Quote from: freakerdude
Quote from: godardianUgh. I am not fond of remixes.
Don't fret! Nobody can do  worse than Linkin Park's
stop right there

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: themodernage02by deifying radiohead, and thinking that they can do no wrong, you're refusing to acknowldedge a great band puts out shitty songs too.

Wait... Pablo Honey already happened.

Quote from: themodernage02i used to LOVE radiohead.  but with the last two albums, the direction they're heading has completely turned me off from them.

Amnesiac is probably my favorite Radiohead album, and I think they're getting better. The Bends is good, but the stuff I really love is their more experimental music. They couldn't be going in a better direction.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Oh great, now SA doesn't like stuff, what is the world coming to :x
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

This is a popular attitude lately... what a pathetic outlook, seriously.

I heard today that Thom Yorke announced to the AP that now that the contractual obligation with BMI has been met, Radiohead will most likely be releasing EPs from now on.  

I think that's plenty cool with me.

If I'm just stating something that everyone already knew, I'm sorry, sometimes I don't keep up fast enough.

Sleuth

Don't take anything on SA seriously.  I hate that site, and not because they make fun of Radiohead, but it's that they make fun of EVERYTHING.  They have no stance.  The guy is proud that we don't know his favorite band and that it's apparently so underground and cool that we might not know it.  It's just a terrible site that is occasionally funny (the part about Don Henley made me laugh).
I like to hug dogs

modage

i didnt think he was really serious.  no one can be that elitist.  its not that i agree with that article, i just thought it was funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02i didnt think he was really serious.  no one can be that elitist.  its not that i agree with that article, i just thought it was funny.

It was funny at first, but grew tiresome. He really doesn't have any point of view, other than that he doesn't like Radiohead. He's just being reactionary.

My own dislike of Radiohead has nothing to do with who does/doesn't like them, or really how popular they are. It's simply that I love pop music (a term Radiohead fall well within, see my previous thoughts on that), I feel like I know a little something about it, and I have my reasons, which I think are very good and almost exclusively musical ones, not to like them. It's not a big deal to me, because the band isn't a big deal to me. I guess I'd rather have kids listening to Radiohead than Limp Bizkit. But what they should REALLY be listening to is David Bowie, The Ramones, The Smiths, and anything that came out of Motown or the mind of Phil Spector between 1959 and 1965.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

During your argument I really like that you didn't even mention Thom until I brought it up.  It's good to see that you look into music for more than just vocals like most people do (not to blame them, I know it's the most relatable).  What I can't understand is why you have to do this pop music labeling.  Why can't you just drop that and enjoy music for what it is rather than some sort of structure you expect them to have?  It seems like you're blindfolding yourself.
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: SlobhDuring your argument I really like that you didn't even mention Thom until I brought it up.  It's good to see that you look into music for more than just vocals like most people do (not to blame them, I know it's the most relatable).  What I can't understand is why you have to do this pop music labeling.  Why can't you just drop that and enjoy music for what it is rather than some sort of structure you expect them to have?  It seems like you're blindfolding yourself.

I actually like Thom Yorke, and I like his voice. I just don't like what he's been doing with it... why mutter and mumble and hiccup when you do have such a unique instrument?

My use of the term "pop" has been explained by me in detail, but here goes again: It's an inclusive term. There are different structures within it. But I think it's more blinding to say Radiohead is somehow less pop (and I don't mean popular, I mean Pop- mass-produced art, not "fine," one of a kind art) than, say Britney Spears, when you can find them side by side on the "top 25" at your local Tower Records. I like that level playing field. I don't think Radiohead are big offenders on this, but: I hate indie snobbery. I hate the idea that if something is harder to understand or shabbily produced because the band is poor, it automatically has more worth than something by someone who's been more accepted or wants more polish on what they're doing. Sometimes a little more polish is exactly right for the songs; sometimes a shabby sound is exactly right. But I hate those easy categories. Pop isn't an easy category; it's all music that's been mass-produced in the industrial and postindustrial age, because all of that music has been created for the express purpose of being mass-produced and sold, be it on a tiny local scale or a giant international scale, with an image attached (choosing "no image" or "no effort at an image" is still an image choice). And there's something of worth at both of those extremes and in between.

I do think that what Radiohead is doing is not interesting. That's an honest opinion. I like bands like Sonic Youth, the Jesus and Mary Chain, some stuff by Lush, some stuff by My Bloody Valentine, because they're able to stretch the boundaries of pop music without sacrificing warmth and personality to become these sterile, obfuscating experimentalists, as I feel Radiohead has done. I just don't feel like Radiohead is saying or doing anything very relevant or interesting, and those are the main two qualities I would list if I had to pin down what I expect from pop music. It doesn't always have to be compelling, life-changing, earth-shattering, though that's what it can be at its height; just relevant or interesting will do for me not to complain too much about it. But I don't think Radiohead as they have been for many years are doing that. Certainly, I agree with them politically, and with their suspicion of so many things; I just wish they had a more captivating way of putting it across.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

SHAFTR

I may be odd, but Radiohead's music affects me more emotionally than any other band.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleuth

Quote from: SHAFTRI may be odd, but Radiohead's music affects me more emotionally than any other band.

Yes, me too.  When I first put in Kid A, and Everything In Its Right Place started, I just felt like I melted.  I didn't want to move, it was just slaying me.  By the time Kid A finished, I felt like crying...Motion Picture Soundtrack is so fucking sad.  Great finisher.  

Godardian, I guess this is where it just comes down to opinion.
I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: Slobh
Quote from: SHAFTRI may be odd, but Radiohead's music affects me more emotionally than any other band.

Yes, me too.  When I first put in Kid A, and Everything In Its Right Place started, I just felt like I melted.  I didn't want to move, it was just slaying me.  By the time Kid A finished, I felt like crying...Motion Picture Soundtrack is so fucking sad.  Great finisher.  

Godardian, I guess this is where it just comes down to opinion.

Yes... and as I've said before, I am moved by "Exit Music" and "How to Disappear Completely." Those moments are so isolated now, though... you get a whole album of it with The Bends, which is why that's my favorite Radiohead album...

Pedro

Quote from: RegularKarate
I heard today that Thom Yorke announced to the AP that now that the contractual obligation with BMI has been met, Radiohead will most likely be releasing EPs from now on.  
:? mm

RegularKarate

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/7075881.htm

It was the AP so it's bound to be a lot of other places too.

Here's the part where he says the deal about the EPs:

During the backstage interview with The Associated Press, Yorke wriggled with delight as he explained that the band has just fulfilled its contract with Parlophone, a division of EMI Records.

"It's always been album, album, album," he says, adding that he believes the music business will be forced to change because the way people listen to music is changing.

"Things like iTunes and people splitting up tracks," he says. "I kind of think that's good. I listen to music on random all the time."

With the freedom to do anything, Yorke says he's unsure what the band will try next although it's unlikely to pound out another album. EPs are more likely.