into the wild

shite:

goal 2
shrek 3

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Sleepless

Okay, this is definately my favourite film of 2007:

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Gamblour.

Oh man, I forgot that I saw that. Yeah, it's really good. Need to add that to my list as well.

If you haven't seen anything else by Shane Meadows, check out "A Room for Romeo Brass." Paddy Considine's first role, and he comes out swinging.
WWPTAD?

squints

My favorites from 2007:

No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
Rescue Dawn
Inland Empire
Sunshine
Knocked Up
Ratatoullie
Into the Wild
Paris Je T'aime
Grindhouse
Black Snake Moan
Black Sheep (New Zealand Zombie Sheep Movie sans Farley)

Still want/need to see:

28 Weeks Later
30 Days of Night
Across the Universe
Atonement
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
American Gangster
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Control
The Darjeeling Limited
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Eastern Promises
I'm Not There
I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With
Redacted
THERE WILL BE BLOOD

I'd like to add The Host and a doc called Maxed Out to the list as they appear on a lot of other best of the year lists around the internet but I think they both were technically released in 2006.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

10 ) (Room left open for I Am Legend, There Will Be Blood or any other piece that may rock the list order)
9 ) Grindhouse
8 ) Lynch
7 ) Hot Fuzz
6 ) Superbad
5 ) Knocked Up
4 ) Inland Empire
3 ) Lake of Fire
2 ) Eastern Promises
1 ) Zodiac
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

New Feeling

so far

1. Grindhouse
2. Inland Empire
3. Electroma
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Knocked Up & Superbad
6. The Darjeeling Limited
7. Sicko & Lake of Fire & King of Kong
8. Zodiac
9. Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
10. Ratatouille
11. Zeitgiest
12. There Will Be Blood & Control & I'm Not There
13. Black Book & Lust,Caution
14. This is England
15. Persepolis, Diving Bell & The Butterfly & Into the Wild

also saw: Margot at the Wedding, Redacted, Lynch, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Blades of Glory, Walk Hard, The Savages, Eastern Promises, Southland Tales, The Ten, Rescue Dawn, Brand Upon the Brain, Lars & The Real Girl, The Simpsons Movie, Juno, Charlie Wilson's War, The Lookout, Michael Clayton

to see

1. Syndromes and a Century
2. Youth Without Youth
3. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
4. King of Kong
5. Gone Baby Gone
6. Boss of It All
7. Away From Her
8. Hot Fuzz
9. No End in Sight
10. Across the Universe

as well as: Paprika, Taxi to the Dark Side, Atonement, Sweeney Todd,  Sunshine, Black Snake Moan, Paris Je t'aime, 2 Days in Paris, Once, Perfume, American Gangster, Halloween, The Kite Runner, Jimmy Carter: Man From the Plains, Bug, Summer 04, Offside, Into Great Silence, Golden Door, A Band's Visit, Sunshine...

add Twin Peaks and Berlin Alexanderplatz and Killer of Sheep on DVD and you've got the best year ever in the history of cinema

pete

I'm adding invisible waves to mine.  it's another movie starring tadanobu asano, directed by pen-ek ratanaruang and shot by christopher doyle.  a lot of the same peeps from last life in the universe.  it's not as good as last life in the universe but it's got a better story.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on December 13, 2007, 05:40:37 PM
I'm adding invisible waves to mine.  it's another movie starring tadanobu asano, directed by pen-ek ratanaruang and shot by christopher doyle.

dude, i JUST fucking bought that for $5.

havn't seen Last Life yet, but from the hella long interviews with director, writer, and doyle, this seems the more mature work of the two. it's great.
under the paving stones.

pete

last life had some moments that felt truly spontaneous; it was more magical.  this one has a great twist that feels very invested.
- Buster Keaton

squints

Quote from: pete on November 10, 2007, 12:19:59 PM
tekkon kinkreet is my favorite this year.

Really? I enjoyed it quite a bit. The animation was incredible and the story kept me interested. I still think i dug Paprika more. What makes it your favorite of the year?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

pete

I haven't seen paprika, but I loved the comics to begin with.  the movie is just so beautiful, and I love its mixture of urban grit and magical realism.  its depiction of this friendship between black and white is beautiful, and, despite a relatively large backdrop and plot, the film never lost sight of their friendship.  I loved how they could ride an elephant at a laundromat or see swimming fish when dying or the animated color pencil sequences with the flower.  the action scenes are cool too, but mostly I am just moved by the interaction between the two boys.  that scene when White is crying in the police car is one of the saddest things I've seen all year.  great acting and animation.
- Buster Keaton

squints

i see where you're coming from. All of white's dream sequences were beautiful

pete

black's hallucination is beautiful too.  I dunno, I feel like all the sequences are done really well, the three fights, the chase with the alien dudes, and when (super vague spoiler) that guy whacked that other guy.  the city also feels very detailed and beautiful.  I can't say I feel nostalgia watching the depiction of the city, but I feel something!
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

1. The Assassination of Jesse James
2. No Country for Old Men
3. Juno
4. Control
5. Paris Je T'aime
6. King of Kong
7. Ratatouille
8. Zodiac
9. Hot Fuzz
10. TBD (TWBB, probably)

Honorable mentions: Knocked Up, Michael Clayton, Gone Baby Gone, Across the Universe, This is England, The Brave One, the first 2/3 of Sunshine

Didn't Like: Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Eastern Promises, Sweeney Todd, Superbad, Margot at the Wedding, Darjeeling Limited (want to give it a second chance)

Have to see: A lot

WWPTAD?