THE MARS VOLTA---> AMAZING

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, December 03, 2003, 10:05:26 PM

Sigur Rós

Quote from: MEAT wadnot on my street

Yeah, not on my street either.

RegularKarate

European Son

Quote from: freakerdudeMars Volta was supposed to open up for Snoop & The Chili Peppers when here in Atlanta last summer. I think one of the guys had just died and they had to cancel so it was just Snoop and RHCP.
Hey, I was at that show in Atlanta. It was unfortunate what happened. I don't like them, but I was still looking forward to checking them out live.

QuoteBrent D hardly ever says anything worthwhile. And I fail to see how TMV relates to Dream Theater
In the way that they focus on their shapeless sonic sound instead of worrying about crafting actual tunes. That album had no focus whatsoever. It is a perfect example of style over substance. However, these guys can be good songwriters when they want (see At the Drive-In). I guess they just wanted to try something new, but it didn't really work out in my opinion. Oh well, I still have hope for their second album.

russiasusha

I say this is the best debut album in the past 3-5 years.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

mister mister

TMV don't really float my boat..  I think I'll have to see them live to 'get them', but so far the album seems a bit all the same to me.

I like Sparta a lot more.

jonas

Great CD, one of the best to come out this year.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Stefen

I didn't like this album at first listen. I was hoping for more of the ATDI vibe, but over the last couple months It has definetely grown on me and became one of my favorite albums of all time. Never heard them live but I just ordered a live album with 4 songs on it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

russiasusha

QuoteNever heard them live but I just ordered a live album with 4 songs on it.

The put on one of the best shows  i have ever seen.
Guess that means i'm back on zigzag!
Movies before 1930 suck

I hadn't seen the video for Elevators until today, here it is,

context, context, context.

Mesh

I can't really see that much similarity between The Mars Volta and any era of Pink Floyd, really.  Except maybe the vague "concept album" notion they ascribed to De-Loused.  Sonically, they're pretty divergent.

TMV does remind me a lot of certain King Crimson eras; they also have absorbed Santana, that's quite obvious several times on the album; and Yes, especially Fragile and Close to the Edge.  Mix all that in with, like, Fugazi, and you're close to the TMV sound.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Who's aware that Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, TMV Guitarist, is coming out with a solo album that is scoring his FILM project????

Sure, this can have its own thread, but I'm not really keen on the details, nor do I think there are many, at this point.
Just thought'd be awesome to share.

Bethie

About six weeks ago my friend was talking about The Mars Volta and how the cover art on the album made him want to buy it. I was all like, hey, I own it, you can borrow it from me. He walked to my house at three in the freaking morning to come get it. I haven't seen him or the cd since.

Actually, I have seen him but not the cd.
who likes movies anyway

Myxo

I ordered their latest off Amazon.com almost blindly after only hearing a few 30 second clips of the tracks on this album. It sounds really damn good.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

They actually released The Widow for the public last week, it's an amazing bluesy song. I cannot wait for this.
WWPTAD?