Untitled vs Almost Famous

Started by Banky, November 19, 2003, 06:24:53 PM

Banky

Two versions of the film: Almost Famous Untitled: The Bootleg Cut - Director's Edition with 36 minutes of never-before-scene footage & the original cut

I saw Almost Famous probably 10 times before i saw Untitled.  I think that Untitled is the superior edition.  The cut sequeances had so much more charterization and really told so much more about them.  The only scene i thought was not that great that was added was the scene of William Miller as a little kid in the shower.  I loved other parts such as William Miller talking to Ana Paquins character about smoking pot and the scene between Russell and William backstage talking about the "whooo" in that song.

Anyone else like or dislike the newer edition.

MacGuffin

It has one of the best commentary tracks ever with Crowe and his mom.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

i was curious how they stand anlone as films but yeah it is such a great dvd.  I love all the extra stuff and the commentary is a classic.  Crowe seems to care so much about his films.

Finn

I certainly prefer the Untitled DVD as oppose to the original DVD. That way you get the original and director's bootleg version with a commentary. But as a film, I think the original is better. The bootleg has a lot of stuff that's not necessary.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Banky

Quote from: SydneyI certainly prefer the Untitled DVD as oppose to the original DVD. That way you get the original and director's bootleg version with a commentary. But as a film, I think the original is better. The bootleg has a lot of stuff that's not necessary.

really?

that is suprising to here.  I think that the new material makes the whole movie so much more of an experience to watch and it is much more intimate.

modage

i think i like the theatrical cut better, although the new stuff is interesting.  i just watched the extended two towers, and its the same issue.  while the stuff is really interesting character stuff, and really interesting for the hardcore fans.  i dont know that it makes it a better movie.  but with these dvd sets for lotr and almost famous, its another interesting avenue for dvd.

ALSO: a few more opinions here..
http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=2735
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

As with LOTR: FOTR, I hate the regular version, and love the extended version.

Dunno why, it's like I can feel that stuff missing, even before I saw the extended cuts.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

NEON MERCURY

..untitled..i have enjoyed every exteneded cut of a film that i have seen more than the original......(more bang for the buck)....

Derek237

I've never seen Untitled yet. I'm still waiting for an extended Vanilla Sky cut. We all now there's more! Grr!  :x

Banky

its just the gun scene i beleive

SHAFTR

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..untitled..i have enjoyed every exteneded cut of a film that i have seen more than the original......(more bang for the buck)....

really?  I disagree.  Only reason I prefer director's cuts is if the cuts had to be made for censorship reasons or because of lack of control due to the studio.

Do you really think There's Something MORE About Mary is going to be better than the original?

Do you like The Redux better than the original Apocalypse Now?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Derek237

Quote from: Bankyits just the gun scene i beleive

Nah, there must be a lot more. Like one quick part in the trailer Penelope Cruz is wearing a wedding viel. And in the outtakes on the DVD Kurt Russel's shown having dinner with the two daughters...

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: NEON MERCURY..untitled..i have enjoyed every exteneded cut of a film that i have seen more than the original......(more bang for the buck)....

really?  I disagree.  Only reason I prefer director's cuts is if the cuts had to be made for censorship reasons or because of lack of control due to the studio.

Do you really think There's Something MORE About Mary is going to be better than the original?

Do you like The Redux better than the original Apocalypse Now?

.as for something about mary.....i think the film is alittle overrated.annd decent comedies really donn't deserve a directors cut....i assume the onnly reasonn they added that directors cut was to cash in like a mothaphucker...

i havennn't seen alot of directors cut .....but all that i have seen are way better....

Here is a quick runnnndown of the director cuts that I have seen that are better than the original...

fellowship of the ring
the two towers.(if your into these LOTR films this cut is phucking awesome)
natural born killers
Requiem....
JFK
ternnimator 2
Any given Sunday....
Untitled
..And Apocalypse Now redux....
the reason why i like redux more is the frennch planatatioon scen wa beautiful.......esp. the bedroom scenes..sorta surreal...
and the playboy bunnnnnny sh*t was  interesting comic relieff....

i guess on the whole if a film like.ALOT has a directors i will most likely enjoy it more.....but it can't be just anny film....i'm nnot crossinng my finngers for a Tears of the Sun directors cutcut....

GoneSavage

This is one movie where I wouldn't be upset if they added 3 more hours, I could watch it all day.  It's a very well-written movie about my favorite subject - rock n roll.  I love all the characters in it, most likely because Crowe either was or knew them all well.  PSH is brilliant, as is Frances, and I'm so glad that Crowe won the Oscar.

Mia Wallace

I prefered Almost Famous as opposed to Untitled. Almost Famous flowed much better and didn't have the unnecessary moments that ruined the pace in Untitled. Although Untitled did have one scene which really shouldn't have been cut and would have maybe even made Almost Famous even better.

And thats Penny Lane's cake cutting scene.
I have to go powder my nose