The Good, The Bad And The Ugly and Badlands

Started by A Matter Of Chance, October 09, 2003, 04:58:09 PM

A Matter Of Chance

cine

Depends. If you want extras for GBU, then maybe you should wait until its re-released, which I would think is inevitable in the future along with the first two films.. but if you just want a good looking version of the film, then pick it up. It's about 15 bucks here in Canada so its gotta be cheap there as well.
As for the second film you mentioned.. Badlands, I guess.. I didn't see it on DVD.

SoNowThen

in regards to the title question:

for fucks sakes YES
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

rumor: The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly to be released by Criterion in near future.

~rougerum

edison

Quote from: The Gold Trumpetrumor: The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly to be released by Criterion in near future.

~rougerum

:roll:  isn't that a rumor with every film to be released on dvd?

MacGuffin

I say hold off on the "Good, Bad, Ugly" DVD for right now. The current one has the additional footage, but it's in Italian with English subtitles. They recently released on the big screen a new version with the footage put back in with Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach dubbing their dialogue, and that has yet to come to home video (2004 maybe). That will probably add more extras.

As for "Badlands", you'll never get a director's commentary for that film and doubt WB has a lot of extras in the vault for a Spec. Ed. So I say get it, the movie is worth owning anyway (you can see where "True Romance" got it's inspiration from).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: EEz28
Quote from: The Gold Trumpetrumor: The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly to be released by Criterion in near future.

~rougerum

:roll:  isn't that a rumor with every film to be released on dvd?

Actually, this has some good foundation to it. From what I remember, the company releasing the theatrical release now are and have very much been in conjecture with Criterion on movies they release.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

MGM Home Entertainment have kindly sent over details on a new collector's edition release of the classic The Good, The Bad & The Ugly which stars Clint Eastwood. The film, which has been fully restored with an additional eighteen minutes of footage, will be available to own from the 18th May this year. The disc itself should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.98:

2.35:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
Italian Mono Soundtrack
Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Schickel
Leone’s West (Making Of) Documentary
The Leone Style (Sergio Leone) Documentary
The Man Who Lost the Civil War Documentary
Reconstructing The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Audio Restoration) Featurette
Il Maestro: Ennio Morricone and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Composer) Featurette
Deleted Scenes, Poster Gallery, Collectible Postcards and More!
English, French, Spanish, Cantonese Subtitles

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

modage

that looks fucking GREAT>  THAT is what packaging is supposed to look like.  unfortunately it renders the manwithnoname box set a little silly now to have a bare version of the film in it as well, wish they would special up all three now.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileWhere'd you find that info, Mac?

Pawbloe DVD Answers

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

SHAFTR

I'm very excited, I'll give my barebones version to my dad.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

context, context, context.