True Detective

Started by Punch, January 13, 2014, 07:42:56 AM

^ lol.

but anyway yes this was a weird episode.
these past two have been significantly different in a way that we can all agree we haven't liked as much as those prior, but still have liked in some ways. this may sound naive or delusional, but i think it means that he's trying to get some of this shit out of the way so the finale can just be incredibly satisfying. this is pretty short for a season when it's not going to continue, so i think by logic (especially when you include a first time-ish director) the pacing is gonna be kind of funky.
but i have enough faith in this show that the last episode will be crazy amazing. and if not, we still have some of the best episodes tv has ever seen, so fuck it.

now onto SPOILERS:

weird things about this episode:
- hart's reaction to the video, did anyone else think it was kind of done improperly?
- dude at the end, i had to read this thread after watching the episode twice to realize that it was the spaghetti monster. how shitty as fuck can you be at reveals? i mean i thought it maybe was supposed to be him but he was the opposite of what we've been GRAPHICALLY told he is like. like over and over and over. scars and scars. i had to push my face to the screen to see that shit almost, and i'm not stupid or blind. and yes the accent was awful.
- i may be lost but the second to last scene of them holding the sheriff at gunpoint seems ridiculously out of character for marty. i mean, i dont see the motive for him being this 'fuck it' at this point. did rust really convince him to get on board enough to do something that drastic and with that much consequence? just seemed weird to me, tell me if i'm wrong.

AWESOME things about this episode:
- mirror shots
- crazy framing
- dialogue between two investigators in the car at the end, probaly the most hilarious dialogue of this show. 'there aint nothin to see' lol
- the video tape, how much of it we don't see
- rust recreating his storage unit in essentially, marty's storage unit.
- rust asking about marty's life, and seeing present day rust in general outside of people he doesn't trust.

overall, a necessary episode that will never top the first three or so, but excites the shit out of me for the finale.

polkablues

Quote from: 03 on March 04, 2014, 10:06:08 PM
- i may be lost but the second to last scene of them holding the sheriff at gunpoint seems ridiculously out of character for marty. i mean, i dont see the motive for him being this 'fuck it' at this point. did rust really convince him to get on board enough to do something that drastic and with that much consequence? just seemed weird to me, tell me if i'm wrong.

Until proven otherwise, I'm assuming they're carrying out an awesome plan that will ultimately make perfect sense.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I do buy Marty's new trajectory, actually. He's a primitive. He has acted upon his feelings violently, how many times so far? Many times. All he needed was the video tape. Seeing that smoking gun after being highly skeptical would certainly inspire a shift.

Drenk

All the answers are here.

I'm wondering if the show will use its paranormal vibe in the finale or if it will be Rust and Cohle chasing a multinational of psychopaths. Excited. This finale is important.
Ascension.

Axolotl

Wish I hadn't seen that.
Don't watch the video guys, it gives away everything. Spoiler that shit, Drenk.

Fernando

like P has said, why would you watch anything before the finale? most of the times it ruins everything, of course I'm dying to see all that stuff, but I rather wait ONE WEEK to see/read all the teasers/theories...

anyway...I might be in the minority that has liked every single episode, some better than others but still, maybe it's because I'm not over analytical about them til the end.

my only worry right now is that 1 hour doesn't seem enough to wrap the story.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 05, 2014, 10:43:39 AM
I do buy Marty's new trajectory, actually. He's a primitive. He has acted upon his feelings violently, how many times so far? Many times. All he needed was the video tape. Seeing that smoking gun after being highly skeptical would certainly inspire a shift.

completely agree, seeing that tape made him even set aside all the bs that happened with Rust many years ago, once he gets passed that I totally believe his behavior.

just to clarify, since i had a personal debate with myself before finally watching the video: it's a joke

Brando

Quote from: Fernando on March 05, 2014, 12:26:37 PM
my only worry right now is that 1 hour doesn't seem enough to wrap the story.

I have that worry as well. I don't need or expect a conclusion that ties up everything neatly but don't want a conclusion that feels unfinished. One episode has a lot to wrap up with the story.

That was one of the reasons I felt the last episode was lacking. I felt the story should be closer to a conclusion. Rust has been back in Louisiana for two years investigating but other than pictures/video he doesn't have any new information. He doesn't have anything we as viewers haven't suspected ourselves. We thought about the man with scars being the spaghetti monster. We knew Fontenot was not taking by her father.

It would have been better if everything Rust and Marty learned in episode 7 was things Rust already knew. Rust already knew about who was the officer on the Fontenot girl. Rust already knew about the Ledoux connections. He already knew about Sam Tuttle having multiple families. Sam Tuttle's grandson is the man with scars. All that could have been laid out in the first quarter/third of the episode in the garage instead of spending the rest of the episode learning it. Then the rest of the episode could have them interrogating the guy on the boat.

I do like where the story is going though. The idea of a powerful man having two or more families. One family is respected and powerful. The other is a bunch of degenerates but the two families get together to perform satanic rituals, abuse and kill women and children.

- dude at the end, i had to read this thread after watching the episode twice to realize that it was the spaghetti monster. how shitty as fuck can you be at reveals? i mean i thought it maybe was supposed to be him but he was the opposite of what we've been GRAPHICALLY told he is like. like over and over and over. scars and scars. i had to push my face to the screen to see that shit almost, and i'm not stupid or blind. and yes the accent was awful.

My thought was that they purposely didn't make it a great reveal cause it would have been redundant to the reveal of Ledoux. I wasn't surprised that the scars aren't as bad as we were lead to believe. The first episode Marty warns Rust not to get tunnel vision. I think that's why Rust or me didn't recongnize him when he was mowing the lawn at the school. We've built it up and was expecting a monster but it was a soft spoken guy. It was all done to contrast Ledoux. We have the two extremes of monsters.

I'm under the impression both Marty and Rust know they are on a suicide mission. We know for sure Rust is only doing this cause he wants to kill himself. He owed a debt and has to pay it before he can kill himself. He alluded to it after Marty told him about finding the baby in the microwave. Maggie is also worried that Marty wont come out of it unharmed. We also see that the two men don't have anything to live for anymore. The mirrored scenes that show how empty both of their lives are now.

EDIT:
McConaughey Reveals the Four Stages of 'True Detective' Rustin Cohle

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/mcconaughey-reveals-the-four-stages-of-true-detective-rustin-cohle-20140304
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Brando

http://www.theonion.com/articles/true-detective-fan-develops-elaborate-theory-he-wi,35470/

'True Detective' Fan Develops Elaborate Theory He Will Be Let Down By Season Finale

LANSING, MI—Claiming that the clues have been in plain sight all along, local man and diehard True Detective fan Spencer Adams, 34, told reporters Friday he has developed an elaborate theory that he will be incredibly disappointed by the show's upcoming season finale. "If you've been paying close attention to each episode so far, everything points to the fact that we're headed for a huge disappointment this Sunday," said Adams, citing as supporting evidence the impossibly high expectations scattered throughout the crime drama's first seven episodes and listing off a labyrinthine catalog of loose ends and unresolved plot threads that, according to his hypothesis, the HBO series cannot possibly wrap up in the season's final 60 minutes. "I've been watching every shot, every cutaway intently—sometimes viewing the same episodes three or four times each—and the signs are all there: the increasingly convoluted story, the massive amounts of filler in the more recent episodes, the numerous occult references that we clearly aren't going to get a proper explanation for. All of that makes a satisfying ending virtually impossible, and if you've carefully followed every onscreen moment like I have, you'll see they've been making that obvious from the very start." Adams also noted that the show has been dropping numerous hints as to the arc of its planned second season, namely that the producers will be unable to cast leads on par with Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson and that Adams will then stop watching.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Kellen

SPOILERS in here for anyone that didn't see it yet. (or  HBOGO crapped out on them)

Pubrick

shit ending.

more disappointing than Breaking Bad.

what the fuck happened to this show in the last episode?

it was betrayed by an inexperienced team.

and i loved every episode, even 6 and 7, where others dismissed it.

major problems:

- so Matt McGhey took the role of Rust not because it was the complete opposite of him, but so he could make a convert out of the most hardened atheist. was his final monologue serving as supplementary material for his oscar speech? weird criticism, sure, but i think it strikes at the about-face the show does in the last episode.

- is marty trying to be the dark one when he says that the dark has more territory, and then when rust says he thinks light's winning it's supposed to show that they kind of switched roles a little bit? that he has hope? fuckkkkkkk.  that is hokey. that is so freaking lame. it's like ending the film with a warm platitude like "that'll do detective, that'll do."

- TOO NEAT. the whole thing tied up TOO NEATLY. despite the loose ends they acknowledge in that they didn't catch them all, the prevailing impression is that everything is pretty fine and dandy. black detectives believed them, media found out, heroes again, marty's family reunites, rust even reunites with his freaking daughter in "heaven".

- by the time they got to Carcosa it was too late, everything leading to that point was almost textbook cop drama. the stupid typing on the laptop that magically brought up all the answers and connections, the serendipitous and spontaneous association of a little detail, the green ears, with fresh green paint on the picture. Marty's entire role in this episode was as a foil, he really didn't do anything. and then to top it all off the main bad dude is nothing more than a hack em slash em killer. if they were going to be so generic they could at least have give him a good final monologue. anything. but nah hey i'll just stab you guys haha done oops i'm dead too..

nic pizza and cary fukushima, you did good kiddos, some amazing episodes in there, some of the best TV has ever seen. it's the best we could expect from first timers. it'll do pizza shima, it'll do.
under the paving stones.

Drenk

SPOILERS

Rust is wrong. The art department is winning.

And the heroes killed the crazy dude in his crazy castle.

If Marty's wife were the Detective, the show would have lasted two episodes.

A'right A'righ 'Aright.

The question now is: who'll direct next season?
Ascension.

diggler

I thought Rust's last monologue was a little awards show bait-ish, but I like that they ended on an upbeat note. The show was so dour that a little hope in the end worked for me. Marty being the one to crack the case was a nice touch, and played into the "fresh eyes" thing. I was expecting a little more from the final showdown, but that whole sequence was expertly paced. I suppose in the end the show managed to make me care about the characters more than the case, which is something LOST never managed to do. Looking forward to Season 2.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty