Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

edison

July titles will be:

#392, 393, 394, 395: Three Films by Teshigahara (Pitfall, Face of Another, Woman in the Dunes)
#396 - Ace in the Hole
#397 - Ivan's Childhood
#398 - Les Enfants Terribles

from this site: http://kurutta.net/covers.php?startSpine=350&endSpine=400

They sure are killing my bank account with all these great titles. Very interested in the Teshigahra box, Ivan, and Les Enfants.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: edison on April 16, 2007, 05:04:30 PM
July titles will be:

#392, 393, 394, 395: Three Films by Teshigahara (Pitfall, Face of Another, Woman in the Dunes)
#396 - Ace in the Hole
#397 - Ivan's Childhood
#398 - Les Enfants Terribles

from this site: http://kurutta.net/covers.php?startSpine=350&endSpine=400

They sure are killing my bank account with all these great titles. Very interested in the Teshigahra box, Ivan, and Les Enfants.

Excellent find. The specs and covers (beside the cover of Ivan's Childhood) have been posted on the site already. The only one that is a must buy for me is Ivan's Childhood. I may netflix and burn some of the other DVDs, but not all of them. Ace In the Hole would likely be my exemption.

What's surprising is that they are releasing Woman in the Dunes in a box set. The film is very recognizable on DVD and many people have been anticipating a rerelease but may be dismayed to see it part of a box set with films they never heard of. When Image took over Criterion, one policy they had was to separate known titles from bigger box sets and rerelease them individully. Image no longer owns Criterion, but it isn't a bad policy considering I could have been considering purchasing Woman in the Dunes but I certainly am not now.

edison

Why don't you get the BFI Dunes?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: edison on April 16, 2007, 05:28:50 PM
Why don't you get the BFI Dunes?

I thought about it, but I was waiting for the Criterion edition. Now I may go for that one.

Quote from: edison on April 16, 2007, 05:28:50 PM

Alright, I usually don't say this, because every month seems to have a new candidate for "best ever", but that is the best Criterion cover yet.

last days of gerry the elephant

That C finally looks half decent on those Teshigahara dvds.

Pubrick

Quote from: overmeunderyou on April 16, 2007, 06:06:12 PM
That C finally looks half decent on those Teshigahara dvds.
maybe cos there's a huge white border around the actual image protecting it from the (hepatitis) C.
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

It is Pabst's Threepenny Opera.

edison

From new newsletter:

"Also, we wanted to let you know that our special edition of Kon
Ichikawa's astonishing documentary "Tokyo Olympiad" is now out of
print. If you haven't yet seen it, check with your favorite
retailer—there may be a few copies left! You can read more about the
film below in From the Collection."

Just picked one up from dvdplanet.

Gold Trumpet

Tokyo Olympiad is one of the more underrated films Criterion has ever released. Those who can pick it up really should before it is completely gone. I don't see retailers always having this copy around forever like certain other titles.

grand theft sparrow

samsong

tpfkabi

Hmm, this is a curve ball. I thought 2 or 3 Things would be next as it is going the Rialto route.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

edison

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Juan Ruiz Anchia
• Audio commentary by director David Mamet and consultant and actor Ricky Jay
• New video interviews with actors Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna
• David Mamet on "House of Games," a short documentary shot on location during the film's preparation and production
• Storyboard detail from the deleted scene "The Tap"
• Theatrical trailer
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and excerpts from Mamet's introduction to the published screenplay

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• Portrait of Carlos Saura, a documentary on the life and career of the Spanish auteur
• New interviews with actresses Geraldine Chaplin and Ana Torrent
• Original theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film scholar Paul Julian Smith

and Bunuel's The Milky Way - which doesn't have a cover yet

Gold Trumpet

I didn't expect House of Games. Seems like no one did, but it is a great sign.

House of Games is an MGM acquisition. That company before had a policy of not licensing any films to Criterion. Many companies took that policy at the beginning of the DVD era wanting to protect their products, but now they are starting to understand that certain titles will not get exciting releases unless handled by Criterion.

Jim Jarmusch's Stranger than Paradise, an MGM film, will also be released by Criterion in the near future. That has been confirmed. Some thought the rights just went back to Jarmusch because it was MGM property and everyone understood their policy, but now it looks like MGM is opening their doors to Criterion.

This means a lot. Most of Billy Wilder's films will now be available as well as many great unreleased musicals. Then there are titles like The Sweet Smell of Success and Richard Lester masterpieces like The Knack and How to Get It and How I Won the War.

It is very exciting news.