downloading songs

Started by meatwad, September 04, 2003, 04:29:49 PM

meatwad

for some reason kazaa does not work at my stupid fucking school. Does anybody know if there are any websites that have good mp3's, or any programs that may work, or am i shit out of luck?

aclockworkjj

www.winmx.com

www.limewire.com

....really, there are tons, just look for them.

Dirk

I've said and before and I'll say it again, Soulseek is the shizzle.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Find Your Magali

This is just one small example of why I wouldn't download music in my dorm room if I was a college student...

Colleges working to discourage music file sharing

Associated Press

CHARLESTON, S.C. - Special web sites, brochures, mandatory orientation sessions and slowing file-sharing computers are among the steps South Carolina colleges and universities are taking to discourage students from sharing music files over campus Internet connections.

"Trying to get through to them is difficult, but we're going to push to get the word out even more this year," Chandler Robinson, Clemson University's network services director, said.

The universities want students to know illegally sharing music files could land them in federal court as the recording industry targets those who download pirated music.

The Recording Industry Association of America has subpoenaed at least 10 universities and more than 800 individuals in efforts to end file swapping. School administrators are getting serious about it too.

Students know it's against the law "but a few of them will test the waters. We just make the waters very hard to test," College of Charleston computing director Marcia Moore said.

Most universities in the state discourage file sharing on school internet connections by slowing downloads. Servers scan Internet activity and when a connection uploading or downloading a song is found, bandwidth is taken away from that computer.

With the technology, it can take 90 minutes to download a single song.

The College of Charleston, Clemson, and the University of South Carolina have used the technology for several years. South Carolina also has an official who fields complaints about students swapping music files.

Some students have stopped or curtailed their file-sharing because of recent court cases.

Jonathan Langston, an 18-year-old College of Charleston freshman, said he still downloads about six songs a week. He said his connection is pretty slow but said he has no plans to stop building his music library.

A college of Charleston sophomore, who asked that his name not be used, said he gets around slow downloads on the college system by getting music directly from the computers of friends who live off-campus.

Senior Rick Waldo Jr. said he downloads songs of independent artists who would prefer the Internet exposure to protection by the recording industry.

He said he's not concerned because his online library is small compared to those of some of his friends.

"Anytime there is an attempt at prevention, there's going to be a counter attempt at success," he said. "The Internet is built for file-sharing. People are always going to find ways to do that."

A recent study by the Pew Research Center found that 80 percent of full-time students don't care whether the music they share online is copyrighted or not.

But another survey questioning students between 12 and 22 found 70 percent would stop downloading if there was a serious risk of fines or going to jail.

"I don't think the kids will wise up until a lawsuit hits a university and a student goes to jail," Clemson's Robinson said.

phil marlowe

Quote from: DirkI've said and before and I'll say it again, Soulseek is the shizzle.
your shizzle isn't really working dirk and if i may ask, what is this shizzle? i'm interrested cos i've yet to see a program to match kazaa lite.

Dirk

Quote from: phil marlowe
Quote from: DirkI've said and before and I'll say it again, Soulseek is the shizzle.
your shizzle isn't really working dirk and if i may ask, what is this shizzle? i'm interrested cos i've yet to see a program to match kazaa lite.

Yeah, server is probably down right now. Trust me, I have Kazaa Lite also and it's shite compared to Soulseek. When running, Soulseek has everything. Entire shows from many bands (got some complete concerts from Mogwai from shows in July '03) can be found, b-sides, and entire albums from obscure bands that would be hard to even find 3 tracks off of on Kazaa Lite.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

phil marlowe

Quote from: DirkYeah, server is probably down right now. Trust me, I have Kazaa Lite also and it's shite compared to Soulseek. When running, Soulseek has everything.
i'll take your word for it and check it out when it's up again.

Dirk

It seems to be working now. You just gotta download a little patch fix here that will make it work, assuming you already have Soulseek downloaded. The above link may be down temporarily but it will surely be on soon. By the way, I just found and downloaded an entire Mogwai concert from the show I was at Thursday (Sept. 3rd). I'm telling ya, this is the shizzle.

phil marlowe

OH MY GOD DIRK YOU ARE THE MAN !!! i finally checked that soulthing program out and it's awesome. i just downloaded all three secret chiefs 3 albums which i never could find on kazaa and don't even get me started on how much hardcore metal there is.

the only minus there is is that it runs kinda slow on my computer but i'll soon get another one.

Dirk

Quote from: phil marloweOH MY GOD DIRK YOU ARE THE MAN !!! i finally checked that soulthing program out and it's awesome. i just downloaded all three secret chiefs 3 albums which i never could find on kazaa and don't even get me started on how much hardcore metal there is.

the only minus there is is that it runs kinda slow on my computer but i'll soon get another one.

Werd  8)

ono

I don't suppose there's a Soulseek version for Mac, is there?  I didn't see one, so I guess not.  Anything good out for Mac?  Besides iTunes.

smash

for Mac, I use acqlite (http://www.acqlite.org/); its pretty good but its no soulseek.  I need to find a way to use Soulseek on my Mac...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: smashI need to find a way to use Soulseek on my Mac...
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

Unfortunately though, in an ironic but predictable twist, Microsoft "acquired" that product line from Connectix.

A World Apart

Okay. I just have to put in my two cents on this. SoulSeek is very awesome!!!! thank you.
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

edison

I stand in favor of Soulseek. Ive been going through the files and some people have some amazing things i though i cold never find nor get anywhere, thanks to all who are on there sharing. Highly recommended.