The Amazing Spider-Man

Started by MacGuffin, November 01, 2007, 12:36:55 AM

MacGuffin

Scribe tapped for 'Spider-Man 4'
Gary Ross will draft rewrite on Columbia film
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Gary Ross has been brought on board to do a rewrite on Columbia's "Spider-Man 4."

Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are back as director and star, respectively, as are series producers Laura Ziskin and Avi Arad.

Ross now joins James Vanderbilt ("Zodiac") and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright David Lindsay-Abaire on the list of high-profile writers who have been working on the project.

The move also puts Ross back to work with Maguire, with whom he worked on his directorial vehicles "Pleasantville" and "Seabiscuit." The two were also working on "Tokyo Suckerpunch," a drama set up at Columbia; that project is now on hold as Ross tackles another writing project, Columbia's Lance Armstrong biopic.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sony sets writer to spin 'Spider-Man'
James Vanderbilt to pen upcoming sequels
Source: Variety

As Sony Pictures Entertainment preps a fourth installment of "Spider-Man" to begin production early next year, the studio has quietly engaged screenwriter James Vanderbilt to pen "Spider-Man 5" and "Spider-Man 6."

Vanderbilt was the first writer on "Spider-Man 4." Director Sam Raimi brought on "Rabbit Hole" playwright David Lindsay-Abaire to rewrite him, and Gary Ross is now rewriting that script. The studio is enthusiastic about where it stands as the picture begins prepping for an early 2010 production start for a May 2011 release.

Raimi didn't embrace all of Vanderbilt's ideas, but execs at Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios have. Vanderbilt has been hired to pen the fifth and sixth movies, which have an interconnected storyline. That's what was originally discussed when Vanderbilt signed on to write "Spider-Man 4," but the idea of shooting a fourth and fifth film back to back with the original cast was scrapped.

Sources said it was unclear whether Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst will be back. If they aren't, Vanderbilt's script would be the blueprint for a franchise reboot. After committing to his fourth "Spider-Man" film, Raimi signed on to direct a new franchise based on the massively multiplayer role-playing online computer game "World of Warcraft" for Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Maguire and Dunst were locked into the first three pictures and made a new deal for "Spider-Man 4." It's unclear how long they want to continue with the series.

Then again, Raimi was initially doubtful for "Spider-Man 4" because he expected to direct "The Hobbit," but returned after Guillermo del Toro got the job.

Why is Vanderbilt writing when so many variables are undecided?

The most important thing is for Sony to prime the "Spider-Man" pump more frequently. The lapse between films has grown with each blockbuster. The second film came only two years after the first, but it took three years for a third installment, and four years will have passed when "Spider-Man 4" opens in summer 2011.

Sony Pictures toppers Amy Pascal and Michael Lynton may well have a new franchise following last weekend's strong opening of "District 9." And after "Angels and Demons" grossed some $500 million worldwide, they will certainly move forward and extend the "Da Vinci Code" franchise with an adaptation of Dan Brown's fall publishing release, "The Lost Symbol." But "Spider-Man" remains the studio's most important film franchise, and Sony doesn't want to wait half a decade for the next outing.

While the "Spider-Man" movie business is booming, Sony has widenedits footprint on the franchise and become one of the investors in the Broadway musical version of the webslinger; the "Spider-Man, Turn off the Dark" tuner recently experienced a funding hiccup on the way to a planned March premiere.

Although there's been speculation that the show, which will cost upward of $35 million to produce, may not get off the ground, the project is too important to the "Spider-Man" partners to be tabled, sources said. The musical has "The Lion King" director Julie Taymor and songs by U2's Bono and the Edge.

Vanderbilt's most recent script credits are the Sylvain White-directed "The Losers" for Warner Bros. and David Fincher's "Zodiac."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sam Raimi admits Spidey 3 mistakes, what he plans for 4
Source: SciFi Wire

Spider-Man director Sam Raimi is now admitting what the rest of us have known for a while: That the third movie wasn't that terrific and that he needs to get back to basics for the upcoming Spider-Man 4.

Oh, Raimi doesn't say outright that 3 sucked, but he does acknowledge that "I think having so many villains detracted from the experience. I would agree with the criticism," according to an interview in the Coventry Telegraph.

It's not Raimi's fault that Spidey 3 tried to juggle so many bad guys: He originally wanted to focus solely on Sandman. But Marvel wanted to insert Venom, because the kids like him, and Raimi was forced to figure out a way to shoehorn the character in among the other plot threads, which also included Harry Osborn's new Goblin character. The result, of course, was kind of a mess.

At the time, Raimi tried to make the best of it, saying he thought it worked out. But now, he's clearly acknowledging that he needs to simplify.

Fortunately, we have the example of Raimi's own Drag Me to Hell, this year's horror film that is now out on DVD/Blu-ray, which allowed Raimi to get back to the streamlined, muscly storytelling he's best at.

"I think I've learned about the importance of getting to the point and the importance of having limitations, and I'm hoping to take that into a production where I'm actually allowed to explore with more of the tools to pull it off with a little more splendor," Raimi said. "I hope I don't lose that edge that I've just found. That would be my approach to Spider-Man 4: to get back to the basics."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

A New Female Lead for Spider-Man 4?
Source: ComingSoon.net

Early last month, director Sam Raimi said that they were about to start casting for Spider-Man 4, but we have yet to hear any official announcements of new talent coming on board. We knew Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst were going to be back, and since then, Dylan Baker revealed that he'll return as Dr. Curt Connors.

Now, according to Mania, actresses are auditioning for the role of villain Felicia Hardy/Black Cat, and the site says that Rachel McAdams (upcoming Sherlock Holmes) is a frontrunner for the role. Mania adds that they are also casting for a male villain, which would mean we're looking at two villains for the fourth installment. None of this is confirmed, of course.

In the meantime, fans pointed us to The Observer where actress Romola Garai (Atonement) has a column in which she wrote the following:

"Love is at the root of everything good that has ever happened and will happen." This phrase swam into focus as I moved up the escalator at Oxford Circus tube on Tuesday morning on my way to put myself "on tape" for a part in Spider-Man 4. This is the acting equivalent of the London Marathon in that it's important to try your best as long as you understand that you aren't going to win.

Might she also be going for the Felicia Hardy role? We won't know for sure until we start hearing official casting news from Sony.

Spider-Man 4 is coming to theaters on May 5, 2011.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Spider-Man 4' Update: John Malkovich to Play The Vulture!?
by Erik Davis; Cinematical

With all the awards campaigning and holiday shopping, I bet you almost forgot that Sam Raimi and Co. were still trying to cast Spider-Man 4. Well things are beginning to heat up today as Movieline reports that the studio "is circling" John Malkovich and Anne Hathaway for roles in the fourth installment. But before we get to Hathaway (whose name has already been tossed around in relation to this film), if he signs on Malkovich (who'd make a terrific villain by the way) would play The Vulture, aka Adrian Toomes, a businessman who creates a special harness that not only allows him to fly, but also gives him enhanced strength. He's been described as a strong fighter and a remorseless killer.

Meanwhile, Hathaway is a whole different can of worms. While she'd definitely be playing Felicia Hardy (as previously rumored), this particular version of Hardy wouldn't be Black Cat. Instead, according to Movieline, they've created an entirely different character for her called The Vulturess, perhaps to get away from all the Catwoman comparisons. We have no idea what The Vultress does, but we imagine she'd team up and help out The Vulture in some capacity.

As far as Dylan Baker's Lizard goes, sadly producers don't seem to want to go that route -- either because the villain is too "odd-looking" for the studio (as Movieline reports) or because Baker isn't a big enough name to throw on the marquee (which is what some have suggested in the past) ... or both. It's important to note that all of this is speculation and rumor until it's officially confirmed. Spider-Man 4 hits theaters on May 6, 2011.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

IESB Exclusive: SPIDER-MAN 4 Production on Indefinite Hold 
Written by IESB Staff           

Looks like everyone's friendly neighborhood web slinger has been been placed on indefinite hold said an inside source exclusively to the IESB today.

Apparently, several department heads working on the SPIDER-M4N production were notified of the halt last Thursday. Spidey and friends have some issues that need to be dealt with before production can move forward once again. Oh, and the film is known as SPIDER-M4N within the production offices so take note! Who wants to be the first to start the trending topic on Twitter #SPIDER-M4N?

An inside source working on the project tells IESB that there are some major issues director Sam Raimi is dealing with that include an incomplete script. And why is the script incomplete? Looks like Raimi and the studio heads at Sony Pictures can't agree upon a villain for the film.

Raimi is pushing hard for the Vulture to be the big baddie, something he also pushed for in the third film to star alongside the Sandman but didn't get and we all know how that one turned out. Vulture was to do his evil deeds alongside the new Goblin and Sandman. A single concept art sketch can be seen in "The Art of Spider-Man 3" book. Vulture and Flint Marko would have been cellmates who escaped together, with Vulture pressuring the more passive Marko into committing crimes.

On the flip side, who does the studio want to be the villain? Our source says they seem to only be interested in featuring which ever character is selling books right now but basically they have no idea, just not the Vulture.

So, production on SPIDER-M4N grinded to a halt this past Thursday and isn't budging until some compromises are made. Sony is in a bit of a dilemna though because they are insistent upon getting a film shooting as soon as possible. Our source also said these issues aren't being handled in the most friendliest of fashions. There is apparently some definite anger within the production with several people very "pissed off".

Perhaps they will use the time over the holidays to calm down in order to make some compromises to decide which way the film will be headed as the new year begins in January.

We will have to wait and see!

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

John Malkovich Confirms Vulture in 'Spider-Man 4'
by Elisabeth Rappe; Cinematical

With all the bad rumors plaguing Spider-Man 4, it's time for a little good news, don't you think? And some very good news has come from the mouth of John Malkovich himself. In an appearance on Italian sports show Quelli Che il Calcio, Malkovich confirmed that he had been asked to play Vulture in Spider-Man 4. Movieline first broke that rumor last month, along with the rumor that Anne Hathaway might show up as Black Cat.

BadTaste.it transcribed the conversation (if you're Italian is good, you can read it there) and reports that Malkovich didn't declare he was taking the role, but that he was waiting on the final script. He's definitely interested, though, and hopes that shooting will get back on track.

Of course, this all depends as to whether Vulture can hang onto the villain status. That's who Sam Raimi wants for #4, but Sony reportedly wants Carnage. The debate over who Spidey will battle is what has continued to hold up the film, and could become so drastic as to see a change-up in the director's chair. Tobey Maguire didn't give any indication as to which way the battle was heading when he spoke to The Envelope on Thursday. "Like anything, it's a process. We're just in the midst of the process. We have a lot of great stuff in terms of story and script. We're just trying to dial it in and get it ready as quickly as possible. Of course, these movies are a very big undertaking and take a lot more time than a drama or something more straightforward ... Not only do I have specific ideas, but the ideas are evolving on the page." Will that evolution include Vulture and Malkovich? Let's hope Sony's spidey senses tingle in the right way, and let Raimi have the villain he wants.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

EXCLUSIVE: 'SPIDER-MAN 4' SCRAPPED; SAM RAIMI & TOBEY MAGUIRE & CAST OUT; FRANCHISE REBOOT FOR 2012
By Mike Fleming; Deadline Hollywood

UPDATES EXCLUSIVE: 'Spider-Man 4' Officially Has No Start Date As Of Today Because Of Script Problems; Sony "Unlikely" To Make Scheduled May 5, 2011, Release Date

BREAKING NEWS! UPDATE: Mike Fleming and I have just confirmed that Sony Pictures decided today to reboot the Spider-Man franchise after franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity. This means that Raimi and the cast including star Tobey Maguire are out. There will be no Spider-Man 4. Instead, Mike Fleming is told, the studio will focus on a Summer 2012 reboot from a script by Jamie Vanderbilt with a new director and a new cast. All this took place today at meeting on the lot today. An official Sony Pictures news release about it is expected out now (see below).

My sources tell me that Raimi told Sony Pictures: "I can't make your date. I can't go forward creatively." And, so, once he said "That's it", Sony Pictures co-chairman Pascal and Columbia Pictures' Matt Tolmach decided they didn't want to replace him and instead chose to reboot the franchise. Insiders also tell me that Tobey Maguire heard the news in a phone call with Amy today. I'm told Tobey wasn't upset. "He's made 3 great Spider-Man movies. He's done really well. But he's the kind of guy who, if Sam wanted to go forward, would have been there for Sam and the studio. Absolutely."

Mike Fleming has heard that, from Spidey, Raimi could move to World Of Warcraft, or to The Given Day, that terrific novel by Dennis Lehane, author of Shutter Island and Mystic River. Both are worthy projects, but World Of Warcraft is a huge franchise.

Fortunately for the studio, Sony was not yet "pay or play" on some of the talent negotiations which were still only at the tail end. Raimi was insisting that John Malkovich play the villain, and the studio was looking to cast Anne Hathaway. "I'm not so sure we're going in that direction," an insider told me on January 5th. Sony had been hot for her until bigwigs realized she'd cost too much and they probably don't need "such a big star" for the pic, I was told. (See my previous, Anne Hathaway Wanted For 'Spider-Man 4'.)

As for those repeated rumors that Spider-Man 4 might shoot in 3D, I've learned it would have added at least 6 months to the production schedule and "no one on the pic has any idea how to do that," a source confided. You've got to figure 3D now is uppermost on Sony minds given the post-Avatar climate, and Summer 2012 is more than enough time to make the reboot with new technology. Back in April, Sony Pictures' co-chairmen Amy Pascal and Michael Lynton told Forbes magazine: "People are paying a premium to see movies in 3-D and that's a very big deal. It's never been done before that someone says you have to pay more to see Spider-Man than a romantic comedy."

The events that led to today's shocking decision to scrap Spider-Man 4 can be traced to mid-December when I saw a December 11th email alerting the pic's special effects crew that the fourquel would not be starting as planned "but Sam Raimi has story issues [that] need to be resolved before we are ready to shoot". At that point, it wasn't well known that the Spider-Man franchise director helming the 4th installment had huge problems with the script that has run through screenwriters Jamie Vanderbilt, David Lindsay-Abaire, and Gary Ross. I was told Sam Raimi had been very vocal inside Sony that he "hated" it. I broke this story on January 5th, and reported that Raimi and Sony were anxiously waiting for still another version from screenwriter Alvin Sargent, who wrote Spidey 2 & 3 and is married to Spidey franchise producer Laura Ziskind. "It is unlikely that May 11, 2011, date will be made," a Sony insider told me that day. "It depends on how quickly the script can get in." However, agents told clients in the movie to already expect the film to be pushed back.

My sources said Sony still intends to release that summer, even if the new date is July 2011. But Spider-Man has always owned that coveted early May date. Even as far back as September 2008 when I reported my exclusive that Sony Locks Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire For 'Spider-Man 4'.

What a giant opportunity for other studios planning their 2011 schedules to grab this big opening. And they did. Paramount and Marvel Entertainment pushed up the release of Thor by two weeks to May 6, 2011. Thor was set to have opened May 20, 2011, a slot which Disney grabbed for Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides.

Spider-Man 4 was supposed to start filming in February, which Tobey Maguire echoed repeatedly in publicity appearances for Brothers. Then it pushed to March. Then late March/early April. And by January 5th there was no date at all, according to my Sony insiders who emailed me: "Some decisions have been made over the holiday about Spider-Man 4. We will be extending the production hiatus on the film. The studio is firmly committed to this franchise but, for us, the script must come first. We intend to notify members of the crew immediately. As you know, Alvin Sargent is currently working on the screenplay. When we have more news, we will keep you posted."

Pascal and Tolmach, who have shepherded the Spider-Man franchise from Day One, have been wrestling with this script problem for months. "I'm going to do everything I can to make May," she has repeatedly told Hollywood types involved with the movie. "But I'm not going to start a movie where the script isn't right yet. Not unless I want my career to be over."

Here is the Sony press release:

Culver City, CA (January 11, 2010) -- Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012. Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the Spider-Man franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

"A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning," said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

"Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job," said Sam Raimi.

"We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade.This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else's hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable," said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio's chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. "Now everything begins anew, and that's got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can't wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012."

"Spider-Man will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."

The studio will have more news about Spider-Man in 2012 in the coming weeks as it prepares for production of the film.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

JESUS CHRIST! lets just remake fuckin avatar while were at it, move on assholes! Is everyone just too afriad to make anything new, even if it is just a new super hero movie, just any original idea, please someone!

I was just listening to Patton Oswalt, so maybe im overacting, but its pretty fuckin ridiculous, right? to just restart the whole franchise that started all this shit? where does it fuckin end!?
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

Oooh, an Avatar remake.  One where they could finally "get it right". 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

More Spider-Man news: A Dark Knight reboot?
Source: SciFi Wire

With yesterday's shocking news that Sony was pulling the plug on Spider-Man 4, now come more details about that high-school-based reboot, which Zodiac's James Vanderbilt is reportedly already writing.

The New York Times says that script focuses on Peter Parker in high school and would debut in the summer of 2012 with a new cast and filmmaking team.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man director Sam Raimi issued a gracious statement about the news:

"Working on the 'Spider-Man' movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."

The Los Angeles Times reported that Raimi and Sony parted ways in part over budget: The studio wanted to spend $230 million for the fourth installment, quite a bit less than the earlier films, and Raimi felt this was inadequate.

Entertainment Weekly, meanwhile, said the studio is seeking a more Dark Knight approach to the franchise, which it had been developing in secret:

The next Spider-Man film will be a reboot of the franchise, not a continuation of series Sam Raimi created back in 2002—in a move similar to Batman Begins restarting the Batman franchise seven years after Batman and Robin underwhelmed fans and critics.

This time around, the series will place Peter Parker in a more contemporary setting, as a teenager battling today's issues. The decision to go with an origin story stemmed from Sony developing two Spidey projects simultaneously. According to studio insiders, Sony was working on both Raimi's Spider-Man 4 and the new origin story from James Vanderbilt, who wrote Zodiac. The original plan was to keep the Spider-Man gang together for one last film in 2011 before rebooting the series in 2012. When it became clear that Raimi would not be able to make the summer 2011 release date planned for Spider-Man 4, the studio opted to scrap Spider-Man 4 altogether, and focus solely on the series reboot.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

I like the idea because Spiderman is a good character but the movies were really shitty so maybe they can improve on that.

The notion of reboot and comic books should not anger anyone as the comic book industry have been ''rebooting" their characters every now and then since day 1.

Gold Trumpet

It's dumb to reboot. Sony needs to protect the Spiderman series because it's no longer the super hero movie, but one of many. Today you can't turn around without seeing a super hero movie in some form. Reboots are meant for bad or older franchises. Since the Spiderman movies are new and popular, they can't be doing shit like this. The super hero craze has turned into an epidemic and is asking for a backlash.