The Green Hornet

Started by Banky, February 18, 2004, 12:39:28 PM

MacGuffin

Chow to Direct and Star in Green Hornet!
Source: ComingSoon

Stephen Chow, one of Asia's most popular box-office draws as the award-winning star and director of such films as Kung Fu Hustle, CJ7, and Shaolin Soccer, will direct Seth Rogen and star opposite him as Kato in Columbia Pictures' The Green Hornet, set for release June 25, 2010, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach, presidents of Columbia Pictures. The screenplay is by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, who will also executive produce. Neal H. Moritz is the producer through his Original Film production company.

In tapping Chow to helm The Green Hornet, Sony Pictures Entertainment continues a long association with the star and director. Under its local language initiative, Sony co-produced and released Chow's Kung Fu Hustle, which went on to gross over $100 million worldwide and received a Golden Globe® nomination as well as six Hong Kong Film Awards and five Taiwan Golden Horse Awards. Sony also released CJ7.

Commenting on the announcement, Tolmach said, "When Seth, Evan, and Neal said they wanted Stephen Chow to be part of 'The Green Hornet,' it was a fantasy. Now that it's happening, it's almost too good to be true. Stephen's been a very important part of the Sony family for many years, so it's truly serendipitous for us to be moving forward with him directing the movie and starring as Kato."

Chow added, "I'm excited to be taking on 'The Green Hornet' -- obviously, I've been a huge fan of the show since I was a kid. The idea of stepping into Bruce Lee's shoes as Kato is both humbling and thrilling, and to get the chance to direct the project as my American movie debut is simply a dream come true. I'm grateful to my friends at Sony, who have shown so much faith in me for so many years. I'm looking forward to working with Seth, Evan, Neal, and the team at Sony, and I'm eager to get started."

Moritz said, "'The Green Hornet' is a dream project and it's come together in a dream way. Seth will be fantastic in the lead role, and Stephen was the only name on the list for Kato. The material is a perfect match for his sensibilities -- Stephen in the director's chair is the best thing for the film."

Rogen said, "Stephen was always my and Evan's first choice for director and to play Kato. We just hope that he never finds out we're not the Wachowski Brothers."

Ori Marmur will serve as the Executive Producer of the film.

Chow previously told us of his interest in the project. "When I saw the program, I thought it was a great role and thought it was outstanding, because I'm Chinese and it's Bruce Lee, but I'd be happy to play that role," he said.

Later, we asked Seth Rogen about approaching Chow, who answered, "It's a very intense action movie and the relationship between Green Hornet and Kato, a lot of comedy comes from that. At first actually, we weren't even sure going in we could be more of a Jet Li type guy who maybe isn't the funniest guy in the world, but he's physically very impressive, or whether it would be more of a Stephen Chow type guy who can do martial arts, but clearly has a sense of humor. In the version that we've made it seems like a Stephen Chow type guy would be more suitable for the role. Again, until they officially greenlight it, it's hard to make any of those decisions."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Seth Rogen's 'Green Hornet' Will Tell Hero's Origin Story Because 'No One Knows Anything About The Green Hornet'
Funnyman snags Stephen Chow to direct and co-star in 2010 comic book flick.

Speaking with MTV News last November, writer/star Seth Rogen promised he was buffing up for the role of Britt Reid in "The Green Hornet," he was looking very strongly at Stephen Chow for the role of Kato, and the movie wouldn't follow an origin story.

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Looking more svelte and in-shape than ever, Rogen now insists that his action-hero comedy — which he likened in tone to "True Lies" — will follow a more traditional "beginnings" arc.

Despite the vociferous complaining from fans who initially objected to Rogen's command of the project, the funnyman says an origin story is necessary because, according to him, there aren't really that many fans.

"No one gives a sh--," Rogen insisted. "There was, like, three people [who care about 'Hornet']. It [had to be] somewhat of [an origin story then]. We didn't intend it to be one, but we realized that no one knows anything about the Green Hornet, and it actually became more confusing than anything that we didn't include somewhat of an origin story. We realized through people being very confused with our screenplay that we should probably include somewhat of an origin in it."

As for Chow, who Rogen has been talking up since last year's Comic-Con, it was recently announced that the celebrated filmmaker would both co-star and direct the project.

"See? We did it!" Rogen proclaimed with a laugh. "We weren't talking sh--!"

An actor for more than 25 years, Chow is best known in America for recent hits like "Kung Fu Hustle" and "Shaolin Soccer," films that can only be described as martial arts by way of "Looney Tunes."

With Chow behind the camera, then, it's tempting to think that "Green Hornet" will be played for absurdity rather than realism. Half-right, Rogen said, teasing that the tone will wind up somewhere in between.

"We're figuring out now what exactly the reality level is and exactly how to let [Stephen] have fun, but [at the same time] do something that's accessible to American audiences," Rogen said. "[But] I gotta be honest. We are, like, literally in the process of having those conversations right now. We're at the very early phases."

"The Green Hornet" has a tentative release date of June 25, 2010.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rogen Promises Hornet Preview

He's playing the title role of the Green Hornet, he hasn't shot one foot of film yet, and he's still working out communications problems with the director, but Seth Rogen told SCI FI Wire that he hopes to have something available to show fans at Comic-Con next summer.

"Comic-Con is my favorite event of the year," Rogen said. "It's more fun to me than the movie premieres, than anything. I love Comic-Con. All of our friends come down for it, and we just have a really good time, and it's always a lot of fun. I would love nothing more than to be able to show something at Comic-Con."

In fact, as he noticeably buffs up and slims down for the role--though he has yet to shoot any footage for the movie--Rogen said he is meeting this week with studio executives and director Stephen Chow to discuss what they could possibly have ready for the international conference in San Diego, which begins next July 23. Rogen discussed becoming the superhero Britt Reid during early interviews this past weekend for the animated DreamWorks film Monsters vs. Aliens, which is coming out in spring. In that film, Rogen voices the part of an amorphous blob named B.O.B. as part of a team of monsters that includes creatures voiced by Reese Witherspoon, Hugh Laurie, Will Arnett and others.

"We are already having that conversation this week," said Rogen, who insisted the Green Hornet filming won't start until May. Rogen is co-writing the script with Evan Goldberg, and Chow has not yet relocated from Hong Kong to begin shooting.

"The process has been very collaborative and very good," Rogen said about the director. "He's given us a lot of ideas. His English is, ... well, we keep saying when we all come out of this, we will be great communicators. He's made great strides, I will say. It presents its own challenges at times. We get along really, really well. We are really just starting the process, very little has actually been done. ... We're actually in the very preliminary stages right now."

The Green Hornet isn't scheduled for release by Sony Pictures until 2010. "Give the people what they want," Rogen added about a sneak peek at Comic-Con. "If it's not ready, you can blame Sony."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Chow no longer to direct 'Hornet'
Actor will still play Kato in Columbia film
Source: Variety

There's been another change in the "Hornet" nest: Stephen Chow has dropped out as director of "The Green Hornet" but will still play Kato in Columbia Pictures' latest bid to get the crimefighter to the bigscreen.

The studio and producer Neal Moritz are in the process of setting a new director to keep the picture on track to begin production by spring.

The character began on radio in the 1930s and is best known from the '60s TV version. But a bigscreen translation is having a long gestation, going through many incarnations, including as a proposed George Clooney vehicle.

Chow, who directed and starred in "Kung Fu Hustle" and "Shaolin Soccer," signed in September to direct the film and play the role originated in the TV series by Bruce Lee. He stepped out as director over creative differences.

The film was scripted by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, and Rogen is starring as the masked crime fighter. The script will likely be polished, and a director could be in place by year's end.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Well, that sucks. Chow directing was pretty much the only reason I was interested in this flick. Creative differences my ass. They probably just told him, "Our way or the highway" and he chose the highway.

$10 says he's starring in it to ruin it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Stephen Chow Might Not be Kato Either?
Source:The Associated Press

Late last week, it was announced that Stephen Chow had dropped out as director of Columbia Pictures' The Green Hornet but that he would still play Kato in the comic book adaptation.

Now, however, that is still up in the air as well as Chow tells The Associated Press that he may not have time to star as Kato, the character made famous by Bruce Lee.

Chow, whose credits include Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle, said over the weekend that he wants to free up time to work with Jack Black on a comedy about a superhero.

"If I direct 'The Green Hornet,' the superhero comedy will have to be delayed for two years," Chow said. "The timing might not be right for a superhero comedy in two years. And I want to make a movie based on an original idea."

Chow said whether he stays on to play Kato in The Green Hornet depends on his schedule.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

"Green Hornet" Dead At Sony?
By Garth Franklin
Monday January 26th 2009 03:33AM

The Seth Rogen-led new film based on "The Green Hornet" radio and 60's TV show property looks to be on the verge of collapse yet again reports HitFix.

When actor/director Stephen Chow's public lack of interest in the project first emerged a while back, the move apparently made Sony Pictures nervous about developing the property.

Now, HitFix's resident film genius Drew McWeeny has more on the story "At Sundance, I heard several people say that the film was off completely. I spoke this afternoon with a source close to the film, and while they didn't call it completely dead, they did say it is "highly unlikely" that the film will shoot in 2009 at all."

modage

so Seth Rogen got skinny for nothing! 

but it's probably better, because really this seemed like a bad idea.  for everyone.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Michel Gondry to Direct 'Green Hornet'!
by Erik Davis; Cinematical

This just in: Production Weekly is reporting via their Twitter feed that Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Be Kind Rewind) is going to direct Seth Rogen in The Green Hornet. The Hollywood Reporter has also confirmed this, and Gondry's involvement is sure to take this much talked-about project to another, fantastical level.

The Green Hornet has been plagued by issues ever since Seth Rogen announced he'd be writing the screenplay with Superbad pal Evan Goldberg and starring as The Green Hornet too. In fact, Rogen's lost a lot of weight for the role so far, and looks to be in pretty good shape (did you see him at the Oscars?). Meanwhile, Stephen Chow had originally signed on to direct and play Green Hornet's sidekick Kato, but backed out due to him wanting to direct his own superhero movie -- but according to THR, he's still expected to take on the role of sidekick (and we hope he does).

Gondry, however, would bring his wild imagination to a property that could totally use it. Assuming no one else drops out, count me in as someone who's extremely excited to watch the end result.

--------------------------------------------------

Michel Gondry steps in for 'Green Hornet'
Stephen Chow still set to play Kato in Seth Rogen starrer
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Michel Gondry is in negotiations to direct "The Green Hornet," Columbia's big-screen treatment of the classic crime-fighting hero being portrayed by Seth Rogen.

Stephen Chow had been tapped to direct but dropped out over creative differences. He is still expected to co-star as Kato, the Hornet's trusty sidekick and chauffeur.

Since Chow's departure, the project has been the subject of speculation that it was sliding into development hell, but the studio is intent on making the feature one of its 2010 tentpoles.

The choice of Gondry, the helmer behind off-the-beaten-path films such as "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "The Science of Sleep" and "Be Kind Rewind," signals that the creative direction the studio and the film's producer, Neal Moritz, are trying to take the project is one not usually associated with the usual crime-fighter movie.

"Hornet" follows the adventures of Britt Reid, a bored playboy who inherits his father's crusading newspaper, the Daily Sentinel. By night he is a masked hero, fighting crime with his sidekick Kato, who has incredible martial arts skills.

Rogen and his writer partner Evan Goldberg joined the project in July 20, 2007, as writers and co-exec producers.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

this is great.  Gondry needs a script he didn't write, and this should do. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

Quote from: modage on February 24, 2009, 02:34:56 PM
Gondry needs a script he didn't write... 

agondreed.

Quote from: modage on February 24, 2009, 02:34:56 PM
...and this should do. 

not sure if Gondry should've gone green tho.

Michel see.

Gold Trumpet

I'm not too happy with this decision. It sounds like a walk on job for Gondry so he won't be able to implement his style into the film too much, especially if he has no writing say. I understand Gondry can't just make personal films all the time, but doing super hero movies is different than the average commercial film because it requires so much more time to do.

And the shame is that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind came out in 2004 and he hasn't done anything in the same league as that film since then. I'm worried he could be on the path to becoming an eccentric commercial director.

Alexandro

Who would be an eccentric commercial director? Tim Burton?

In any case, the idea of a green hornet movie...I couldn't care less, really.

I just think the dark knight was enough of it. I'm done with all this super hero / comic shit. Tortured heroes, complex villains, allegories, money. I want to see some normal guy get into a fucked up situation like Bruce Willis in die hard or something. tom cruise in the firm.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on February 24, 2009, 08:26:13 PM
Who would be an eccentric commercial director? Tim Burton?

Good example.